PDA

View Full Version : Good day turned bad, lump in throat, dr google

Danii
03-02-12, 23:02
I need reassurance, or any advice.

Usually as the evening progresses i feel tightness in my neck and throat, near the upper part, almost under my chin basically. I went to the ENT about a week or 2 ago and he looked down my throat with a mirror said everything looked fine.

The thing is when I feel this tightness and choking sensation i can literally close my throat so i cant breathe, and it scares me to death.

Does anyone think its possible for your epiglottis to randomly get stuck in the wrong position and block your breathing? I dont have a sore throat, I just feel like something is going to close over my throat as i breathe in sometimes.

Thank you

nomorepanic
03-02-12, 23:12
No it can't do that but have a read of the posts in the forum dedicated to this problem and you will see you are not alone with it.

I get it a lot as well and hate it - so scary.

Danii
03-02-12, 23:44
Thank you, because I read all the things about globus hystericus, I was just concerned cause the lump and sensation in my throat is pretty high up.

mimijr
04-02-12, 00:27
Hey I totally understand the feeling you're describing. i get this because of severe anxiety. although it can be troublesome at times when you cant pin the anxiety on anything and still experience this. i have had such trouble breathing and tightness and have had to resort to trying loads of medications and also breathing/meditating. i hope you feel better. :/

best

Mindful
04-02-12, 09:37
I need reassurance, or any advice.

Usually as the evening progresses i feel tightness in my neck and throat, near the upper part, almost under my chin basically. I went to the ENT about a week or 2 ago and he looked down my throat with a mirror said everything looked fine.

The thing is when I feel this tightness and choking sensation i can literally close my throat so i cant breathe, and it scares me to death.

Does anyone think its possible for your epiglottis to randomly get stuck in the wrong position and block your breathing? I dont have a sore throat, I just feel like something is going to close over my throat as i breathe in sometimes.

Thank you

I have this at the mo and it is really annoying.
I get what i call a fat tongue feeling, plus what feels like cramp under my chin and my throat feels like its going to close up. Its horrible.

If i am distracted it goes away, thats the great thing about all anxiety symptoms, as soon as you take your attention away from them they instantly disappear. This shows that it isnt some medical condition, that wouldnt go just because something else occupies your mind for half an hour.

Thing is it isnt easy to ignore it and just carry on with what you are doing, especially when you go to bed and arent doing anything.
Take faith in the fact that others have it, it is quite a common complaint by anxiety sufferers, its simply too much inward thinking and focusing in on that area.

As Clare Weekes says '' Dont be bluffed by a physical feeling''

The less you worry about it- the less it will bother you- the less it will be there.

The more you worry about it- the more it will bother you- the more it will be there. x

St3v3n
04-02-12, 12:25
Hi try not to worry too much I get this too from time to time and it can be really unsettling but as 'mindful' says it always disappears when my mind is elsewhere. I always tried to reason with myself that the neck is actually a pretty confined space for anything nasty to arise that would impact swallowing or breathing, so if it got to that stage I'd hope to actually see some visible manifestations if I had anything to be really concerned about. No surprise, I'm still waiting. Take care and I hope the feeling passes soon.