PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine withdrawal????

deedee6270
04-02-12, 12:18
Hi Guys,

I'm 8 days off Venlafaxine 75mg XL-wasnt my choice! could't get an GP appointment and surgery did not respond to mine or pharmacist plea for an emergency prescription. So i have done it on my own (I even got chucked out of a support group as I did not want to go to A&E and wanted to try and do it as was on day 4). I have managed to go to work all week and some of my symptoms have started to subside. HOWEVER, I now seem to have developed flu or a chest infection??? chest hurts, chesty cough, blocked nose, feel sick, heartburn, achy bones and muscles and sooooo tired. Is this withdrawal or have I just got flu!!

xx Deedee

Pipkin
04-02-12, 23:37
Hi Deedee,

I am currently taking venlafaxine for the second time. The first time when I stopped, I stupidly ignored my GP's advice and just stopped abruptly without tapering off. I had a headache and felt nauseous and dizzy for about 5 days and then it started to get better. I didn't have any of the flu-like symptoms you're describing so there's a good chance you might have a cold/flu.

Not that I'm an expert but you might wait a few more days and see how you're feeling. If you're the same, go back and see your GP.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Pip

deedee6270
08-02-12, 12:24
turns out I have Pneumonia-guess my immune system was shot to bits!!!!

pinkdove
08-02-12, 12:42
hope you feel better soon, just goes to show it is not always the meds.

take care of yourself and get some well deserved rest..xx

Pipkin
08-02-12, 12:46
Deedee,

Get well soon :flowers:

Pip x

cathycrumble
08-02-12, 12:47
Dee dee Just read you cold turkey thread. I was wandering why you came off ven? How long were you on it for?

I am very sorry you are feeling so ill I hope you get better very soon.

Cathy xx

deedee6270
08-02-12, 13:06
Hi Cathy,
Wan on Ven for approx 2 years-not a high dose 75mg XL. I didnt come off through choice although I did want to come off this year. I tried to get GP appointment for over a week and couldnt then tried calling and emailing for emergency prescription but no response. GP didnt even ring for advice. Pharmacist tried on my behalf and I guess that after a few days of withdrawal I decided to keep going... i'm very stubborn. Generally I was finding ways of dealing with it and then I developed Pneumonia.

I have started writing a little blog if you are interested???

http://turkeysnotjustforchristmas.blogspot.com/

Claire xxxx

cathycrumble
08-02-12, 13:23
So what you are saying is that you were fine on them didn't want to come off but couldnt get a perscription?

If that is the case Oh my God!!! That is awfull our chemist would just give us some until our gp could write the perscript out. I cant believe this could happen you poor thing I hope you can carry on med free.

Valerien is surpose to be very good. Sorry my spelling is poo lol :ohmy:

Cathy xx

robinbrum
08-02-12, 14:35
Oh my word Deedee, that must have been awful - I tapered slowly off venlafaxine after just 5 months and that was bad enough. Your doctors sound even worse than mine but you really have to put your foot down with them or you get nowhere.
Best of luck.

deedee6270
10-02-12, 22:16
i've made several complaints and no heard a thing :o(

2 weeks off now, hopefully I can keep going!! I did want to come off this year as sick of feeling a bit numb, putting on loads of weight and total lack of sex drive.

Anyone know how long it takes for them to be completely out of your system??????