PDA

View Full Version : new job after 3 years depression Diary and advice

micheal88
04-02-12, 19:00
Hi, I have been off work for over 3 years with depression. I am 23 years old and have been on medication for a year which has helped me to improve. You can view my diary on that here http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76920.

I have decided to bite the bullet and start work even tho I am still a sufferer of depression, anxiety and ocd. I want to get through this and to see if work really does help with depression.

I have opted to start work doing 20 hours a week, 4 hours a day.

I will be updating this thread as I go along so that if I can do it it may help some of you guys to take the same step.

I ask for your help and support as you no yourself being a mental health sufferer it is a big step to get into work.

The job I am starting is answering the phones in a call centre. Scary right?!!lol

It is now saturday night and I start monday.

How do I feel now, knowing I have signed of benefits and I now have to provide for myself. I am scared with many questions and worries like

-will I get really ill
- Will i get worse
- What if I cant do it
- What if I get dizzy and cant think
- What if I get so ill I cant afford to keep my bills up

Well I will tell you that many of my new techniques I use to recover will now kick into action.

- This job will help with my depression
- I will be able to say around a table of people, "yes I have a job"
- I will become a success and be able to help other people follow suit
- This will be one step closer to recovery and dealing with mental ilness
- mental ilness is a part of my life at the moment so I may aswell work and learn to live with it.

I am going to update this on monday and keep trying these techniques above and Im really trying to ignore the negative thoughts I have listed.

Wish me luck guys will update soon

cathycrumble
04-02-12, 19:25
I wish you all the luck in the world and you will be great I got sacked from my job nov 2010. I worked in a call centre for 7 years and I also worked for QVC for 2 years and loved it but I was off with anxiety due to a marriage break up and they finished me. I am now on employment support allowence and I want to get a job before the dreaded medical you have to go to I dont want to be claiming as I have never before. I am in the process of writing after jobs so fingers crossed I get a job but oh my god I have lost my confidence. but I am still going for it.

Cathy xx

micheal88
04-02-12, 19:42
Hi yes I have been on the esa. They are helpful but definately it can be a trap if you are on it too long. Fingers crossed for you x

cathycrumble
04-02-12, 19:47
And you to. How did you get off the ESA?

micheal88
04-02-12, 19:52
I found a job for 20 hours a week. So i signed off the esa. Been on it for 3 years and those medical assesments are a pain !! Im just hoping I can stay off it

cheers

Wuboo
04-02-12, 20:02
I wish you all the luck in the world and you will be great I got sacked from my job nov 2010. I worked in a call centre for 7 years and I also worked for QVC for 2 years and loved it but I was off with anxiety due to a marriage break up and they finished me. I am now on employment support allowence and I want to get a job before the dreaded medical you have to go to I dont want to be claiming as I have never before. I am in the process of writing after jobs so fingers crossed I get a job but oh my god I have lost my confidence. but I am still going for it.

Cathy xx

How did you get sacked if you were ill? Were you off for a long time?

cathycrumble
04-02-12, 20:26
was off a few months but then while off i went in hospital for a bad water infection and I should have changed my doctors note to hospitalization but my gp just kept putting depression. it's a long story and too stressfull to go into.

Cathy xx

pinkdove
04-02-12, 20:33
Micheal... all the best for monday, and well done !!

ema-1
05-02-12, 08:16
hello, i am back in work on monday after 3 months off, i am scared to go back but i know i must get on with my life. good luck with your new job, i work in a call centre to, the people i work with are fantastic. one big family,
look forward to your update xxxxx

micheal88
05-02-12, 11:47
good luck emma we can help support eachother!! cheers

LAURA48
05-02-12, 11:53
Good luck Michael - you will be fine - it will do you good - I only work part time but when you have anxiety, etc, it does take the edge of it - well done - step in the right direction. Laura

micheal88
06-02-12, 18:32
DAY ONE

I just want to ring the esa and go back on benefits and stay home. My depression and anxiety is worse. The day at work was not too bad just my depression.

I will keep at it and hope I can atleast finish a week.

More than anything I want to prove that after a while someone with depression can adapt to a working environment. I hope I can

cheers

LAURA48
06-02-12, 18:43
:)Michael- well done you have taken the first step - I understand - you are sort of listening in on yourself aren't you - but this took courage - you will feel up and down but it certainly a step in the right direction! Laura

sophia_x
07-02-12, 13:41
awww congratulations!! im so jealous :weep:

micheal88
07-02-12, 21:32
Thankyou very much for the advice guys. Unfortunately the job went a bit topsy turvy. It is to do with the people who help me recomended I go for this other job for the same company but working from home and then gradually in to the office.

Will keep you guys posted cheers