PDA

View Full Version : What are we most afraid of?

MaryMac
04-02-12, 23:03
Been thinking about my HA tonight. I don't drink, never have, I don't like flying or rollercoasters, and it's because I'm a total control freak. It's like our bodies and health are the only things we really don't have that much control over to a certain extent. I just wonder what it is that scares me most when I think about getting ill? I'm so used to feeling well and healthy that when something goes amiss, or I THINK it does, the panic starts. It's because it's beyond my control. Then I get visions of being very ill, lying in a hospital bed getting all sorts of tubes and treatments that would make me feel worse, then the ultimate thing we can't control: death. I've never considered myself afraid of death until the last few months when my HA has been overwhelming. I still don't think I'm afraid of death itself, I'm afraid of the few moments beforehand, what is it going to feel like? Will I be panicking and screaming and crying?
Just wondering what it is that we are all ultimately afraid of. I think for me it's the lack of control and how horrible any sort of illness would make me feel.
x

SomeOddworld
05-02-12, 00:09
"I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of dying"
-Christopher Hitchens

I'm more afraid of the process of dying than death itself.

Pipkin
05-02-12, 00:34
Mary,

A very good question. I suppose in my case I would have to say that I'm most afraid of the anxiety itself. That's what causes me to become most anxious. As you mentioned, a lot of it is about control and when something becomes unpredictable and when i cant do anything about it, it really scares me.

Pip

chl_hobbs
05-02-12, 15:12
I think with me, because ive 'been there' ie:told it was very likely i wouldnt make it because id lost so much blood, it's knowing how alone you feel at that point. you can have loads of people around you (as i did) but you panic 'within yourself' if you know what i mean, like youre on the outside looking in. It's not nice. I know i should be feeling on top of the world because i AM alive, but i live in fear everyday.

charlotte x

sickandtired
05-02-12, 15:15
im afraid of dying and leaving my kids unprotected.....
im afraid of something terrible happening to my kids and i hadnt done enough to protect them
im afraid of my mum dying and losing my best friend (my mum)

Stormsky
05-02-12, 15:16
its all the 'fear' that keep anxiety alive!
if we fear anxiety... then we are keeping it alive in us... if we didnt fear it, we wouldnt have it!

MaryMac
05-02-12, 18:44
Yeah I think the anxiety just makes everything seem so much worse. If we could get a symptom without being anxious about it, we'd be so much better! Really wish I was one of those people who is carefree and sails through life with no such thoughts/issues.

sebinkent
05-02-12, 20:59
Anxiety is an extension of fear - without fear there would be no anxiety but without fear we would be putting ourselves in danger everyday, so it's a very important emotion. For a lot of HA sufferers, including myself, a big part of the problem is being out of control. I also hate flying and going on roller coasters for the same reasons. I recently convinced myself that I had some horrible disease because I lost my appetite, I started to look ill, had breathing issues and many of the other symptoms of severe anxiety. I was always questioning whether I had an illness or whether it was all in my mind and the uncertainty compounded the lack of control which made the anxiety worse and the cycle continued. I agree with a lot of the posts in this thread - nobody will ever know what happens to us when we die, perhaps that is also a fear of the unknown? But mainly the fear comes from the process of dying.
Here's hoping that one day there will be a cure for every illness and disease.

Stormsky
05-02-12, 21:03
If you continuously tell yourself your ill, you will become ill, and feel symptons of those illnesses.... mind and body are linked as you know.... trying telling yourself you are fit , healthy, never been better, and see how that makes you feel! got to be worth trying....
spending your life fearing dying, means forgetting to actually live life !!!