PDA

View Full Version : Long term affects of Anti Depressants?

Lion King
05-02-12, 18:57
Hi all,

Is anybody aware of the long term affects of taking citalopram?

Asked doctor, he vaguely told me it could lead to stomach ulcers, diabetes and being overweight. Not really where I wanna be but how do you cope without, does anyone have stories where they have withdrawn from medication and not gone back?

Doc told me people can be on them for life, not the answer I wanted but is this true?

LK

Stormsky
05-02-12, 19:02
I was on amitryptline for 9yrs... doc also told me if i stopped i could be back at square one... and therefore like your doc, gave impression id never be off meds.... but long term effects of amit, were damage to central nervous system, among others!! and after 9yrs i didnt feel they were helping me anymore.... so i stopped 6 months ago... not been easy, but i think im better off them, than i was on them!!

Lion King
05-02-12, 21:14
I'm hit and miss, when I feel anxiety coming on I'm looking for the medication to rescue me rather than doing the hard slog and doing it in my own mind.

I feel a bit frustrated, just got a prescription for 3 mths of Cit (40mg), I could do with something that just aids when the anxiety does come on! I'm considering meditation classes or something that puts my mind at ease.

I think I've been on this med 3 years now, had bouts of cold turkey but in the end the anx has been too difficult to deal with. Feel like my confidence is starting to dip!