PDA

View Full Version : 7th day on flouxetine

Naro1
06-02-12, 02:57
Hi dear fellow sufferers!

I am on my 7th day of generic prozac for anxiety. And clearly the side effects are kicking in right now! I am more shaky than before I started this med, only got 2hrs sleep last night! Hungry, but cant eat much! Drowsy and tired but cant sleep! Upset stomach! I have lost few pounds suffering from constant severe anxiety, and I am sure I'll lose a couple more, I hate to think about looking like gravely ill because of my sunken face!

I have read many posts here, that the first few weeks can be very difficult. I somehow get encouraged from the people who persevered. But at the same time being in the middle of all these nasty side effects, I am not confident enough that I can carry on!

I wanna hear more success stories! In the middle of the night this forum is what is keeping me company! Please help me get going!

Naro1

Tish
06-02-12, 06:45
Hi, I'm on day 15 and still waiting for things to get better. The nausea has subsided and I'm sleeping a bit better but still feeling anxious.
A strange side effect for me these last few days is an angry feeling when I wake up and also, people are irritating me more.
I would have given up the meds by now in the past but I'm following advice on here and sticking with it for 6 weeks at least. x

LAURA48
06-02-12, 08:47
Both of you keep going - these are normal side effects - just took my first one last night! Know from before (was prev on 15 years) it is normal - and there was no internet then! Laura x

milkcarton
06-02-12, 12:17
Hey,

I'm on day 5 and the shaking and severe panic has only kicked in now, never felt sop scared in all my life but know it's the meds. The panic peaks and then for a brief 10 minutes I feel relaxed and then the anxiety and shakes start back again. I had a similar experience on Cit too but know its only Side Effects.

However still scared and petrified :(

LAURA48
06-02-12, 13:41
Keep going - side effects - terrifying! Will pass - I am staying with my mum for a couple of weeks - husband ok with this and only live down the road! Laura x

Naro1
06-02-12, 21:24
Thanks for all your replies!!

Hey milkcarton, we are almost the same as to the shaking and heightened anxiety, mornings are the most difficult when even before getting out of bed, I'd start to feel the shakes. But mostly in the afternoon there would be short breaks in anxiety and I would feel relaxed. I'm more tired too in the mornings, not sure if it is due to the shakes and anxiety, or is also SE of this med. I am almost useless in the mornings, dizzy, drowsy, achy, nauseous, dazed. But up on my feet around 3pm onwards. Do you have anything to calm you down? I take 0.25mg xanax 3x a day, but barely even take the edge off the anxiety and shaking.

Thanks Laura for the encouragement. We can cheer each other on and share each other's experiences if you are open to it!

Tish, you are a week ahead of me! You are almost there, the nausea is gone and you are sleeping well, that just only mean you are getting better. Your progress inspires me. I hope you keep posting!

Let's get going!!

LAURA48
06-02-12, 21:30
Hi Naro - good idea - just took 2nd tab tonight - long way to go yet! I do take Lorazepam for anxiety anyway - they do help but you have to be careful - also I find a hot waterbottle good for my tummy when I am anxious too!

Naro1
06-02-12, 23:18
Hi Laura, I have not thought about the hot water bottle! When my teenage daughter had her first monthly period, she had terrible cramps and the hot water bottle helped ease her pain.

It could be relaxing to the gut too, I'll definitely try this when nausea is severe! My nausea have subsided a bit today and I was able to eat breakfast and finished my glass of ensure!

How are you doing on your 2nd day? I can sense you are a very brave person! I am glad i found you here!

LAURA48
07-02-12, 16:10
Hi Naro - oh bless you - yes day 2 - managed to get into work for a few hours - there was a big meeting with a buffet laid on! Well felt a bit nauseous and was sipping some water - they are an understanding bunch - I am dreading day 5 as I remember from last time! Just hoping it works again - don't go up to 40mg big mistake I made before xmas - the agitation was unbearable - lost a stone in a week! GP then put me on Mirtazapine - felt flat and horrible so now on 20mg ---- . We all want to get well and this support group is brilliant - hope you are getting on well and don't forget the hot water bottle! Laura x

cathycrumble
07-02-12, 16:15
Laura I have chickend out and stopped them yesterday after 32 days my gp has told me to start citalopram in a week.

I was just wandering are you taking them for depression or anxiety as I have anxiety and I was told prozac is more for depression . What do you think?

The reason I stopped I just couldnt eat was so sick retching and shaking feel so angry but just couldnt go on.

Cathy xx:scared15:

Naro1
07-02-12, 20:04
Hi Cathy, 32days were too long to suffer side effects. I hope citalopram will be kinder to you! My brother did good on the citalopram, with very little discomfort on the 1st week.

This is actually what I am worried about this time! That after 4wks I won't feel any better but worse than when I started. I'm on my 9th day and today is the worst morning ever! No sleep last night, and too nauseous, hard to even drink! And you know how it is when we dont eat good and sleep deprived, we get more shaky and weak!

You are in my prayers! :hugs:

Naro

cathycrumble
07-02-12, 20:16
Naro it is so odd with prozac as the first week I felt good and was made up as when I first became ill with anxiety after my marriage break up sep 2010 and losing my job and a few other things well i went on citalopram and it was bad side effects but by jan it started working and I felt great back to normal BUT I stopped taking them in the april because I thought I didnt need them well I just went down again.

So that is why i started prozac a month ago. As I said the first week i was fine then bam i was sick I got cystitis vomiting and anxiety hit the roof. But hay there are loads on here who sail through the side effects so don't think you will be like me.

Cathy xx

Naro1
07-02-12, 20:56
Hi Laura,

The side efffects kicked in for me on the 4th day. On my 9th day today and having the worst morning ever! Didn't get to sleep last night, too agitated. And now I am too nauseous, shaky, and weak! I started clenching my teeth too, jaw felt like tightening, and causing me more headache. Ughh, I'm not sure if I can go on with this and I am only on 10mg!!! I cant imagine how much discomfort other people has on higher dose!

Im taking mine for anxiety by the way!

Hope you dont get the awful side effects my friend!

Libra

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Cathy, you've been through a lot! You are one brave and strong woman!

Citalopram worked for you before, I'm sure it would again this time. It would be easier on you coz you already know what to expect from it!

I'll take mine as long as I can! I am so tired right now but can't sleep! I want to get well but get discouraged at the same time!

I wish you well!

Libra

cathycrumble
07-02-12, 21:10
Somthimes the gp can give you propranalol to help or diazipam are you taking anything like that to help you through the side effects?

Cathy xx

Mcched
07-02-12, 21:23
Hi Naro and Laura

I am on day 14 of fluoxetine, did think I was on day 13 but just checked calendar and it is day 14.

This is the first day that I have not had a headache but saying that there is still time LOL!!!

I do feel tired and am still finding it hard to concentrate but work have been very understanding and I go at my own pace, which helps!!! Slightly frustrating as I am use to going at 100 mph!!!

I do find now that I when I drift off to sleep I still am thinking about things but not analysing them as I use to. I have had some blips in the last 14 days but not getting so anxious as I was. My problem was palpitations and was so scared that something bad would happen. I did have a few days where I was getting a lot but did seem to get as worried as I normally do.

The last trigger for this episode was that I woke up with palpitations and was having a panic attack. I do worry that it will happen again but trying not to, if that makes sense.

My BP was sky high a month ago when it is usually normal and that seems to be returning to normal, not that I was overly worried about it.

My GP has been brilliant and had suggested that I take the meds in the morning with breakfast as it will settle your stomach. I am not hungry in the morning but force some porridge down and take the med. I am on 20mg atm. I did feel sick for a few days but that has now subsided.

I haven't taken meds before as my last episode in 2005 I self medicated on St Johns Wort but after a day in tears after the panic attack, I knew it had gone too far.

Keep up with the meds everyone and I am sure we will all feel better soon, even if the side effects are a pain in the rear!!!

So nice to have others sharing their experiences on here!!!

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Cathy

Good luck on your meds, a friend of mine is on that SSRI and says it has been a lifesaver.

Hang in there :yesyes:

cathycrumble
07-02-12, 22:15
Aww thanks hope it helps me.

Cathy xx

Naro1
08-02-12, 01:35
Wow Mcched, I'm envious! Congratulations on your first day of feeling good! It must be priceless to finally be in control of your anxiety! Your post inspired me! Im literally living on the couch for the last 4days! Watching tv, reading books, reading posts in this forum! Almost zero motivation. Drag myself to move my ass to cook breakfast and get the kids ready for school. When hubby and them leave, back to the couch I go! My energy is better in the afternoon where a can do a load of laundry, go 3km walking when weather is good, and cook dinner. But that's just about it right now!

Im on my 9th day on flouxetine. Im guessing the worst of side effects kicked in, and hoping for the better days ahead when these SE's subside. I want my energy back and be able to get a good night sleep! And the shakes, nausea, and nervous feeling, when are they gonna leave??? And I get the palpitations too!

Keep posting your progress! You give hope for beginners like myself!

Naro

---------- Post added at 01:35 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

Cathy, I'm taking alprazolam (generic for xanax) 0.25mg 3x a day. I take these sparingly before I was prescribed flouxetine. I can get by 0.25mg in the morning and another before bedtime. But when my anxiety is getting out of control, I asked my gp for SSRI. In fact she suggested this med a long time ago but I kept putting it off, I was so sure I didnt need it then! If only I knew better then!
Sadly, the alprazolam barely take the edge off the SE's of flouxetine. Im waiting a ring back from her if she would let me increase my dosage!

I wish you well!

Naro