PDA

View Full Version : DON'T GOOGLE SYMPTOMS! Get away from the computer!

TillySm
06-02-12, 11:05
I know it says this in the sticky above the posts but when you are SO anxious and in a panic state you might not see it like I didn't for the past week in the panic state.

Google makes it SO much worse - we are not doctors. Only a trained physician can truly comprehend the true meaning of symptomology and patterns of disease BECAUSE they study theory for 4 years then actually work in a hospital and actually see it all (they move them around the wards to get experience).

There is something wrong with us though and it is called Health anxiety. That is our condition - and it should be taken seriously.

That it is why it is good to find a GOOD GP and stick with him/her that understands HA. He/she shouldn't roll his eyes when you mention a disorder because that makes you feel worse. You should trust him/her enough to be able to believe him/her and he/she must do tests if needed to be sure.

wiskersonkittens
06-02-12, 12:10
I remember once googling when I had a warm sensations in my head. What came up was truly awful and it scared me so bad I went to the ER. When I told the nurse what I had done he said, "NEVER google your symptoms. It is called cyberchondria, and most of the information out there is not true. Anyone can post stuff out there, it isn't regulated." So, that was was the last time I googled a symptom. Always go to the doctor if you are worried or concerned about something. Don't trust the internet. And the worst -- don't trust your own thoughts either (we don't know any better than the internet sometimes) .... ;) Wiskers ~

crystal17
06-02-12, 15:13
I get what you're saying but what about stuff that is written by the NHS website? Should that not be trusted either? When I first developed carpal tunnel syndrome I diagnosed myself from an NHS site and told the doctor, he actually laughed at me and said I need to 'stop looking at rubbish on the internet', but after doing some diagnostic tests he informed me that yes actually, I did have CTS! He then printed off an information sheet from the very same site for me to take home and read! Its very confusing :wacko:

EDIT: I should say, for those not in UK: what about reputable, health company websites?

happycarrot
06-02-12, 16:45
I saw someone's post on Facebook yesterday: "Web MD: Something that makes a mild cold into a deadly disease that will kill you within the next 24 hours." I think we all can relate!

Honestly I think even reputable websites can be counterproductive. If you are like me and you find a website that says something like, "This is probably a symptom of something harmless, but in rare cases it might mean cancer," then you immediately worry that you are one of those rare cases.

Mindful
06-02-12, 16:56
I get what you're saying but what about stuff that is written by the NHS website? Should that not be trusted either? When I first developed carpal tunnel syndrome I diagnosed myself from an NHS site and told the doctor, he actually laughed at me and said I need to 'stop looking at rubbish on the internet', but after doing some diagnostic tests he informed me that yes actually, I did have CTS! He then printed off an information sheet from the very same site for me to take home and read! Its very confusing :wacko:

EDIT: I should say, for those not in UK: what about reputable, health company websites? I now want to google carpal tunnel syndrome lol.. ( laughing at myself) but i wont. I have a habit of googling things i dont know anything about out of curiosity and somehow manage to develop the symptoms. I am the same with flipping medication, i read the side effects and woe betide.. i suddenly develop at least 3 of them. :huh:

iluvstaffies1
06-02-12, 19:01
I saw someone's post on Facebook yesterday: "Web MD: Something that makes a mild cold into a deadly disease that will kill you within the next 24 hours." I think we all can relate!

Honestly I think even reputable websites can be counterproductive. If you are like me and you find a website that says something like, "This is probably a symptom of something harmless, but in rare cases it might mean cancer," then you immediately worry that you are one of those rare cases.

This is exactly me. I made the mistake of Googling tongue cancer. It states that it is extremely rare for people under 40 (I am 35) and that there are only X amount of cases in the UK each year. I suppose most people may feel reassured by that but I just feel a whole lot worse because I am convinced that I will be one of those X amount of people.

I don't drink at all now, I don't smoke and I am not overweight. But I still think my chances of getting the C word are extremely high.

Greenman50
06-02-12, 21:18
Dr google .....yea i made that mistake :blush:

Never ever will i google again , i will ask on here for advice and of course the doctor.

I wonder how many ended up here through google , i know i did .

Web md and wrong diagnosis proper put the shites up me and most of the people on there are just desparate and i reckon a large % just have anxiety caused by the sites themselves .....

This one is different :yesyes:

crystal17
06-02-12, 21:24
I now want to google carpal tunnel syndrome lol.. ( laughing at myself) but i wont. I have a habit of googling things i dont know anything about out of curiosity and somehow manage to develop the symptoms. I am the same with flipping medication, i read the side effects and woe betide.. i suddenly develop at least 3 of them. :huh:

I know what you mean, its awful when you read some symptoms of something and then start feeling like you are getting them :scared15:
If it helps, carpal tunnel syndrome is nothing to worry about and easily fixed :)

I agree with the person that said Wrong diagnosis is a scary site, I hate it and never go on it anymore as it is SO doom and gloom lol.

happycarrot
07-02-12, 01:25
This is exactly me. I made the mistake of Googling tongue cancer. It states that it is extremely rare for people under 40 (I am 35) and that there are only X amount of cases in the UK each year. I suppose most people may feel reassured by that but I just feel a whole lot worse because I am convinced that I will be one of those X amount of people.

I don't drink at all now, I don't smoke and I am not overweight. But I still think my chances of getting the C word are extremely high.

I never even knew that there WAS tongue cancer, but I am NOT going to google it or else I'll be checking my tongue a few times a day :)

klw25
17-06-16, 17:49
I googled my symptoms today and it said I have epilepsy which caused a massive panic attack and I am now terrified to go the doctor in case she confirms it

rebeccad
17-06-16, 18:06
I've just been caught out big time , you'd think I'd know better x

busterrufus
17-06-16, 18:26
I went to doctor but didn't believe her diagnosis of restless legs syndrome. I didn't think she was considering al my other symptoms . I only looked on reputable sites. Now I still feel so ill and my anxiety is worse

DrG00GLE
17-06-16, 18:53
I'm Dr.Google and I approve this message

collybobs
17-06-16, 23:36
I stopped looking online because everything "could be cancer" scared myself lol...

SirLagAlot
07-09-17, 20:47
Googling Medical Diagnosis is like using Google Translate.

I've suffered from OCD like symptoms since I have searched someday for Pain in my back and chest "HEART ATTACK CALL 911".... I consulted a Doctor the next day it was just Muscle Cramps and Cold I catched. Never use Google for Diseases, when you feel pain there's more than 10 billion causes of this Pain. Symptoms on Google are very Standard, never trust any information. Thank god my obsession ended weeks ago, but I loved that cause that Experience made me quit Alcohol, Caffeine, and Nicotine.

thestruggle
07-09-17, 21:34
I have an enlarged lymph node close to my armpit right now...well, it's not really that enlarged anymore or as prominent and the pain has pretty much gone :) BUT...I've been driving myself crazy for almost a month now! I'd say 90% of the sites I've looked through (and I've looked at a lot lol) say it's most definitely cancer, of course! Only a handful of sites mention that it's most likely to be something benign.. Why do we do it to ourselves? :blush::doh: It really doesn't help at all! You can so easily convince yourself you have all kinds of symptoms within about 10 seconds.. your hands start to shake, your scalp prickles, a familiar feeling of dread hits you like a brick to the stomach and you go into full on panic mode, convinced of the worst! I think we have way too much information available to us these days, but you have to understand that various medical sites will always report cases of people that turned out to have something, nevermind the 1000s of people who went to the doctor and it turned out to be nothing..

paranoid-viking
07-09-17, 22:19

EDIT: I should say, for those not in UK: what about reputable, health company websites?

What about cancer patient advocay groups websites? I have discovered some very very horryfying stories on one such site in particualr which has confirmed all my worst fears and which deprieved me of any reassurance. Are such sites 100% reliable or do they contain exaggarated stories and anecdotical "evidences"? I hope they do.

Catherine S
07-09-17, 22:32
Paranoid-viking...you joined a cancer patient advocacy website? I'm so sorry to hear you have cancer, or have you now recovered? Sorry to hear there were only horror stories for you there.

Be well x

Leah88
07-09-17, 23:25
One reason I like this site is because it makes me realise I'm not unique. I used to believe I was better at researching diseases and other people just weren't getting their diagnosis from the right sites/resources. But in reality we all think this, we all think we've just done a better job at researching. But even if the site is credible, it still doesn't mean we have that condition. Our brains see what they want to see, not what is fact. I'm stuck on an obsession that I have had for 2 years now ( pathetic I know) and a part of my brain just thinks I was more thorough at researching it than anyone else including my gp. So i must have it.
But everyone on here, a lot who have OCD like myself, feel the same way. its probably not conducive to getting better by lurking on here, but it wakes me up to realise I'm not more clever at diagnosing illnesses than the next layman. We are all as crap as each other.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 00:41
What about cancer patient advocay groups websites? I have discovered some very very horryfying stories on one such site in particualr which has confirmed all my worst fears and which deprieved me of any reassurance. Are such sites 100% reliable or do they contain exaggarated stories and anecdotical "evidences"? I hope they do.

Anecdotal is seldom useful unless it's been scrutinised by someone who understands bias.

I remember one story posted on here from one of those places. It was riddled with holes that could have other explanations but the cancer survivors brother had assumed and never confirmed anything prior to the later re emergence of cancer.

Even medical professionals frequently get ripped to shreds in peer reviews.

Leah88
08-09-17, 01:21
I'm confused was Catheraine s being facetious or does Viking really have cancer?
Why would you join a cancer forum if you don't have cancer?... sorry man but that reminds me of that movie with robin williams where he breaks into a families house and pretends he is a part of the family. If you don't have cancer it's super weird to join one of the forums. Especially if you have anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 01:53
I'm confused was Catheraine s being facetious or does Viking really have cancer?
Why would you join a cancer forum if you don't have cancer?... sorry man but that reminds me of that movie with robin williams where he breaks into a families house and pretends he is a part of the family. If you don't have cancer it's super weird to join one of the forums. Especially if you have anxiety.

PK's talked about his pancreatic cancer fears on a few threads. He used to read cancer forums from what I can recall and ended up more scared due to the stories on there which at times disagreed with what we often say here.

He hasn't got cancer to my knowledge but I took it as a misunderstanding of why he was posting.

I agree, leave those forums alone. Some see it as disrespectful but some of the cancer forums have boards for the undiagnosed possible cancer sufferer so it's something they must accept otherwise why enable it? I assume they are very careful to ensure the undiagnosed don't impact on those who are?

ServerError
08-09-17, 02:00
I think Catherine knows he doesn't have cancer and was making a point about joining up to forums for people suffering when you yourself don't have the disease.

swajj
08-09-17, 10:02
You know that reading about diagnoses and misdiagnoses ramps up your HA but you sit there and do it anyway. One thing you can do to help your recovery is stop Googling. So practise some self control and stop.

gothic_rose
08-09-17, 10:07
I only go to the NHS website. (im in UK) mainly because if I were to go to the drs, they would give me the same advice as that provided by the NHS so to me makes sense. (regarding things like colds, flue, kids viral illnesses etc).

as someone has mentioned Ive had drs google my symptoms before right in front of me and give me printed off of the internet information. I did nt find that particuarly reassuring!

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:09
Paranoid-viking...you joined a cancer patient advocacy website? I'm so sorry to hear you have cancer, or have you now recovered? Sorry to hear there were only horror stories for you there.

Be well x

No, I dont have cancer. Or - I hope I dont. But as a HA sufferer my answer is "Id dont know". But I read so many nightmare stories that makes me believe that I may have the deadliest of cancers.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

I think Catherine knows he doesn't have cancer and was making a point about joining up to forums for people suffering when you yourself don't have the disease.

I have not joined ANY forum for cancer patients. I have made that clear several times. And I am not even talking about forums, but "awareness" sites and read the horror stories from patients there. And some of these contradicts everything I have heard from my doctor.

swajj
08-09-17, 10:15
I find stories about doctors Googling symptoms in front of patients wildly exaggerated. Assuming they are true at all.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:17

And I reply that I have not joined ANY such forums. My main scare comes from patient stories posted on an official patient advocay group site. I will not provide any link because these stories are the most frightening things I have read in my entire life. I strongly believe that people whose never had health anxiety will be after reading these stories.

The same organisation posted infamously frightening awarenss posters in the UK some years ago I read(read it on the net, I was not there)about victims saying that the doctors told them that they were fine and that they believed them and gave the message "dont do the same mistake". Actively encouring hypocondria and catstrophic thinking. I understand the frustration and that they believe "better safe than sorry" but, well; I will not go into further argument about it. But I believe 100% that such campaigns causes more psychological distress than actually saving lives from a cancer that almost 100% dies from anyway.

But I must admit - I was scared again this summer because of a post made on THIS forum. Yes, here on NMP. A guy posted pictures of his eyes and wondering if anyone could reassure him even though his doctor said it was disturbing. And he got jaundice confirmed and suddenly disappeared from the forum. That actually was the drop that brought back the fear in me. I took a flaslight and looked in the mirror at my eyes and saw what could be a slight yellowness in the very corner of my eyes. Others says that this is normal but - well, the big fear was back.
Sometimes posts on THIS site can trigger anxiety aswell, so I sort of regret I signed up here.

swajj
08-09-17, 10:22
And I reply that I have not joined ANY such forums. My main scare comes from patient stories posted on an official patient advocay group site. I will not provide any link because these stories are the most frightening things I have read in my entire life. I strongly believe that people whose never had health anxiety will be after reading these stories.

FFS stop looking up tragic stories. You are carrying on as if there is a huge difference between reading cancer forums and patient stories published on patient advocacy sites. The effects on your HA are the same. You are your own worst enemy. Get some help.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:23
I find stories about doctors Googling symptoms in front of patients wildly exaggerated. Assuming they are true at all.

In that case they should be deprieved of their licence.:mad:

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

FFS stop looking up tragic stories. You are carrying on as if there is a huge difference between reading cancer forums and patient stories published on patient advocacy sites. The effects on your HA are the same. You are your own worst enemy. Get some help.

I know, I know. I have long periods without worrying. But now for the last week I have episodes of stomach discomfort that comes and goes and that brings back the fear cycle. I guess I have OCD aswell as HA. Googling nightmare stories are an obsession.

swajj
08-09-17, 10:27
Don't sit there and tell someone who used to have severe HA that Googling is an obsession. I already know. Likewise, don't tell someone who used to have severe HA that you can't control the obsession because I did. Take some responsibility for your own recovery.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:29
I recover but then it comes back in periods.

Gary A
08-09-17, 10:32
It's too convenient an excuse to just say "I can't help it", frankly. Yes you can. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to punch these search terms into Google.

You're terrified of cancer yet you frequent places full of people with cancer? I mean, seriously? How is that anyone's fault other than your own?

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:37
It's too convenient an excuse to just say "I can't help it", frankly. Yes you can. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to punch these search terms into Google.

You're terrified of cancer yet you frequent places full of people with cancer? I mean, seriously? How is that anyone's fault other than your own?

If I knew the answer to that I would be a much happier person. Nobody wants to have anxiety.
For 20 years I have frequently been wakened up at night with the feeling of choocking and stop breathing. It is a horrible feeling, but as it has recurred over decades I know THAT particular thing cant be something dangerous. Bit it may be produced by subconcious anxiety. No, nobody is holding a gunpoint, but no humans have total control over their own brain. In fact humans only uses a very small proportion of the brain. For instance it is very hard to control your own dreams, although I heard it is possible with hard training.

Gary A
08-09-17, 10:40
If I knew the answer to that I would be a much happier person. Nobody wants to have anxiety.

The answer is very simple. Stop Googling stories about cancer. It's not rocket science for goodness sake.

Yes it's difficult, but nothing that's worth having comes easily. Stop blaming random organisations and at least try to have some form of self control.

swajj
08-09-17, 10:41
No you don't recover. It can't come back if it has never gone away. There is no easy fix. There is no online course, no book, no magic pill and no anxiety forum that is going to "cure" your HA. I've read your threads. You pretend you have moved on and overcome your fear of whatever illness you are obsessing over at the time. But you haven't. Take for example, all those threads you started about your lymph nodes. Followed by the threads assuring everyone here that you had overcome your lymph node obsession. Not true and I'll bet you are still prodding them. Your HA is severe and you need to see a psych. How much Lo get do you want to live your life this way?

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:44
The answer is very simple. Stop Googling stories about cancer. It's not rocket science for goodness sake.

Yes it's difficult, but nothing that's worth having comes easily. Stop blaming random organisations and at least try to have some form of self control.

Well, I can avoid their site, but what if they stuck a big scare poster right in front of my home telling me I must asume the worst with stomach pain?

I am trying to avoid medication for anxiety because I am scared of the side effects, but I am considering taking it. I used before but stoped because I worried about the side effects.
Snapping out of fear and obsession is easier said than done. Dont you think my family and friends are telling me the excact same things. Nothing you said is new. I dont believe anyone who suffered with HA really believe it is so easy to just "snap out of it". When you say that the answer is really simple; sorry to say; I really wonder if you yourself ever had HA. Should I avoid NMP also then?

Antoher question; yes I can avoid the cancer forums(I mostly do)but what to do when frightening stories are posted HERE on NMP as in the excample of the guiy posting pictures of his eys just to tell us old that jaundice was confirmed and then he disappeared forever? Then this forum is not a place to treat your anxiety either.

Gary A
08-09-17, 10:52
Well, I can avoid their site, but what if they stuck a big scare poster right in front of my home telling me I must asume the worst with stomach pain?

I am trying to avoid medication for anxiety because I am scared of the side effects, but I am considering taking it. I used before but stoped because I worried about the side effects.
Snapping out of fear and obsession is easier said than done. Dont you think my family and friends are telling me the excact same things. Nothing you said is new. I dont believe anyone who suffered with HA really believe it is so easy to just "snap out of it". When you say that the answer is really simple; sorry to say; I really wonder if you yourself ever had HA.

The answer is simple, achieving that goal is of course tough. Nobody ever said that beating HA comes easily, but at this point you're not even trying, you're just putting your hands over your ears and telling people that you've heard it all before.

I never at any point said "snap out of it" either. I said you should at least try to have some self control and stop blaming everyone and everything else. You just admitted that you were given medication yet stopped taking it. I mean, how is anyone supposed to believe that you're putting any real effort into your recovery when you sit googling scare stories and refuse to take medication that was clearly prescribed because you needed it?

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:53
The answer is simple, achieving that goal is of course tough. Nobody ever said that beating HA comes easily, but at this point you're not even trying, you're just putting your hands over your ears and telling people that you've heard it all before.

I never at any point said "snap out of it" either. I said you should at least try to have some self control and stop blaming everyone and everything else. You just admitted that you were given medication yet stopped taking it. I mean, how is anyone supposed to believe that you're putting any real effort into your recovery when you sit googling scare stories and refuse to take medication that was clearly prescribed because you needed it?

My GP was/is very critical of anti depresiva and believes it does more harm than good.

No, it is not simple to stay away from googling if you have OCD mixed with health anxiety.

swajj
08-09-17, 10:53
Yes your HA is much worse than any other HA sufferer. In fact it's so bad that you are compelled to search out tragic stories about illness on the net. Who said it is easy? It's the hardest thing I have ever done and it took me 3 years to overcome my HA. Its easy to do nothing. Just keep doing that. See how it works out for you.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:55
Yes your HA is much worse than any other HA sufferer. In fact it's so bad that you are compelled to search out tragic stories about illness on the net. Who said it is easy? It's the hardest thing I have ever done and it took me 3 years to overcome my HA. Its easy to do nothing. Just keep doing that. See how it works out for you.

Excuse me, but who are you answering now? Me or the OP? Because I never wrote anything about lymph nodes. But the OP did right?

swajj
08-09-17, 10:56
You have never started a thread about your lymph nodes?

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 10:57

PS! I expanded the post you replied to here with an excample of frightening HA triggering posts here on NMP that was posted 2 months ago.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

You have never started a thread about your lymph nodes?

Nope!

Gary A
08-09-17, 11:00
My GP was/is very critical of anti depresiva and believes it does more harm than good.

No, it is not simple to stay away from googling if you have OCD mixed with health anxiety.

For goodness sake.

So why did your GP prescribe them in the first place if he thinks that?

I never said it was easy to stay away from Google, I said that the answer is easy. You are not even trying. You're making excuses in order to stay anxious and when called on it you're blaming the fact that these places even exist.

Take some responsibility.

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

If you feel that this forum is triggering your HA then don't come here either. :shrug:

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 11:02
For goodness sake.

So why did your GP prescribe them in the first place if he thinks that?

:

It was not the same doctor.

swajj
ok sorry I thought you were the lymph node person. Or one of them. So many lymph node threads, they all start to run together in your brain after you read enough of them. lol

Ignore all my references to lymph nodes but the rest of my comments stand.

Gary A
It was not the same doctor.

Convenient.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 11:08
ok sorry I thought you were the lymph node person. Or one of them. So many lymph node threads, they all start to run together in your brain after you read enough of them. lol

Ignore all my references to lymph nodes but the rest of my comments stand.

No problem:)

No hard feelings:flowers:

swajj
08-09-17, 11:11
Yay I remember. It was the legend something or other with the lymph node issues.

Clarity is possible, no matter how many lymph node threads you read. :doh:

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 11:23
Yay I remember. It was the legend something or other with the lymph node issues.

Clarity is possible, no matter how many lymph node threads you read. :doh:

I think your point still stands. I've seen many members return with "I've been good for a while but it's come back" and I think because it waxes & wains they think it had gone. Disorders don't come & go like that. If anything it proves these people have more noticeable triggers and milder anxiety but it's still in the subconscious and needs treating.

swajj
08-09-17, 11:24
Don't be nice to me Terry. You are making me feel guilty about being mean to you. :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 11:41

Are you aware there is no such thing as HA? It's a sufferers term.

OCD does overlap into what people regard as HA. Therefore it would be more correct to say you may have OCD that includes HA themes. But of course there are other disorders that include HA as a theme so it depends on which you fit into.

As regards scary stories, they have been everywhere before the internet and always will be. You said anyone reading what you did would give them HA but I'll bet you both my testicles that it wouldn't give me HA. The only thing I feel in those cases is compassion for the sufferer and my mind may sometimes pop a thought in about illness but I'm long over my intrusive thoughts so they all get equally dismissed with "what rubbish" as a rider to them intuitively. Not that my anxiety has ever had a health theme anyway, even when I was so bad I couldn't function.

Do you not think many more people without developing HA see their loved ones die from all sorts? As you get to my parents age you will see all those around you succumb to many a cancer, my own parents words there. Their mindset is stoic about such things as you will find in many of the elderly. It's natural.

Anecdotal stories are just that. It doesn't matter where they are posted. The NHS themselves allow comments on their webpages and they may include scare stories. Unless someone complains, they won't even see them.

People on NMP get sick too. Some even die, you may not know because not all of us look at the internet as a place to announce your life to and it's a PM matter between concerned friends. It may be scary to HAers but quite frankly I don't care because to me why should someone suffering something be silenced just because it may be triggering? They deserve support too, more so than someone with anxiety alone.

Yes, we even have people on here who have experience of shit GP's messing up a cancer diagnosis. One poor lady lost her mum recently due to such incompetence. Yes, it often hits the news. But these things are uncommon and sometimes as the phrase goes "shit happens". Life is full of such experience so it's better to be learn to be able to take it. There is room for blame and negativity over public campaigns without it invading your mental health.

What you need to be at the end of your recovery is someone who can read it all like any non HAer.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 12:13
Do you not think many more people without developing HA see their loved ones die from all sorts? As you get to my parents age you will see all those around you succumb to many a cancer, my own parents words there. Their mindset is stoic about such things as you will find in many of the elderly. It's natural.

Of course. My parents are at that age. A very good friend of my family died this year after a very short battle with stomach cancer over a couple of months and is deeply missed. And my dad was operated for cancer last year. An auntie is also a cancer survivor so of course this is something that happens around me like anyone else.

Not that it makes my HA any better of course

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 12:28
Of course. My parents are at that age. A very good friend of my family died this year after a very short battle with stomach cancer over a couple of months and is deeply missed. And my dad was operated for cancer last year. An auntie is also a cancer survivor so of course this is something that happens around me like anyone else.

Not that it makes my HA any better of course

I think some HAers look to NMP as a "safe space" but that's never going to work unless you are all the same. As it stands each day is littered with things that can trigger a proportion of you.

Part of the problem is the detail you are allowed. The charity walk-in groups I went to were very strict on this and most of the Meds board wouldn't even be allowed under their member rules but they had two coordinators sitting in to enforce rules.

There have been some on here so afraid they struggle to even log on to the site. And some who avoid whole boards like Symptoms due to possible triggers.

This may seem bad but it's impossible to get a solution for everyone due to the irrational nature of anxiety. It would mean banning discussion of some people's issues for the sake of others. For instance, some find war threads triggering but what of those who struggle with fear of war who need support? And I was afraid of work, social stuff, communication like telephones or email (I still struggle balancing my PM's on here due to motivation or feeling a bit overwhelmed sometimes), daily life stuff like washing or eating and then there was the fear of change so bad I couldn't change t shirts or use different cutlery, etc.

Yes, these places are a challenge of their own. Arguments are triggering but unfortunately par for the course in an emotionally charged environment.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 12:46
I think some HAers look to NMP as a "safe space" but that's never going to work unless you are all the same. As it stands each day is littered with things that can trigger a proportion of you.

Part of the problem is the detail you are allowed. The charity walk-in groups I went to were very strict on this and most of the Meds board wouldn't even be allowed under their member rules but they had two coordinators sitting in to enforce rules.

There have been some on here so afraid they struggle to even log on to the site. And some who avoid whole boards like Symptoms due to possible triggers.

This may seem bad but it's impossible to get a solution for everyone due to the irrational nature of anxiety. It would mean banning discussion of some people's issues for the sake of others. For instance, some find war threads triggering but what of those who struggle with fear of war who need support? And I was afraid of work, social stuff, communication like telephones or email (I still struggle balancing my PM's on here due to motivation or feeling a bit overwhelmed sometimes), daily life stuff like washing or eating and then there was the fear of change so bad I couldn't change t shirts or use different cutlery, etc.

Yes, these places are a challenge of their own. Arguments are triggering but unfortunately par for the course in an emotionally charged environment.

I hope I was not misunderstood as if I meant that someone who got something serious should be denied in here. No, not at all; I was thinking if someone with my level of HA; I mean me, should really be in here. I think it is not for everyone; I mean for all kinds of HA sufferers. I think thos was brought up in a discussion here before; that it may have the oposite effect of what one tries to achieve. Dunno:unsure:

I hope of course that the person with jaundice is fine now and that it was not cancer.

About mentioning that people on NMP will get sick and even die. Well, of course they will. And how many of them? 100% of us of course. You are wrong in saying that some may die. No, all of them WILL die! Including you and me. The only question is how and when. I hope this thread will be several decades old when that happens to me of course. And that cancer was not the cause.

swajj
08-09-17, 13:26
I hope this thread will be several decades old when that happens to me of course. And that cancer was not the cause.

My psych once told me that I should stop being scared of dying because I was already dead. Of all the things he said to me that probably had the most impact. You should think about how it might apply to you.

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 13:38
I hope this thread will be several decades old when that happens to me of course. And that cancer was not the cause.

My psych once told me that I should stop being scared of dying because I was already dead. Of all the things he said to me that probably had the most impact. You should think about how it might apply to you.

We are all dying. It is just that the progress is different from person to person. And I want to have several decades more. And my big fear is that I will not and that it will end horribly.

swajj
08-09-17, 13:47
But can't you see that's what he meant? That is, you might live for another 30, 40 or whatever years more but if you are just going to waste those years believing you are dying then you may as well already be dead. It makes so much sense.

Catherine S
08-09-17, 13:51

Actually, I wasn't entirely sure about Viking and the cancer situation because ive never followed any other threads of his, so I wasn't sure what he was saying in his reply. But thanks for your thoughts on it Server.

Quote...unquote :)

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 13:54
PV, I meant that we lose some members to the very things people fear on here and long before old age. Not that they were proved right though, not at all, it's just that they very sadly developed something.

Of course we are all dying from birth. Death & taxes, or if your rich - just death. :winks:

If it helps to dispell thoughts this way, why not? The overreaction to these thoughts is a big part of anxiety across all it's many themes. If a thought about a disease evokes the same response as running out of milk, it won't upset you.

Catherine S
08-09-17, 13:59
Who is PK by the way?

paranoid-viking
08-09-17, 14:01
Paranoid King?:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 14:02
We are all dying. It is just that the progress is different from person to person. And I want to have several decades more. And my big fear is that I will not and that it will end horribly.

How would a Terry Pratchett Discworld sketch go...

PV: Hah! I knew cancer would get me!
Death: REALLY? AT WHAT POINT DID YOU CONSIDER YOU WOULD BE RUN OVER BY A CANCER PATIENT SPEEDING?

:biggrin:

KK77
08-09-17, 14:05
Don't be nice to me Terry. You are making me feel guilty about being mean to you. :ohmy:

Don't talk rot Swajj!

What a mess of a thread :lac:

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-17, 14:05
Paranoid King?:yesyes:

Stupid Samsung phone! :doh:

swajj
08-09-17, 14:10
Don't talk rot Swajj!

What a mess of a thread :lac:

lol

I was thinking some of my best advice was on this thread. :winks:

gothic_rose
11-09-17, 14:50

really did happen. I was at A&E with chest pain the first time I was sent there with chest pain by my GP. I told the A&E nurse I had been told I had costochodritis but the GP wanted me to be checked out anyway cos its chest pains. The nurse in charge of me did nt know what costochondritis was, goggled it on their phone in front of me, read out loud the info she was reading (which I already knew) then printed off some costo information from the NHS website which I was then sent home with.

really happened. not exaggerated.

JabbyNettles
11-09-17, 15:32
Yes this is so true don't ask "Dr Google" as it will make you ill....I made the mistake of googling my symptons and I've made myself so much worse, I suffer from severe health anxiety and haven't been able to work in nearly 3 months.

paranoid-viking
23-09-17, 21:55

I DO blame them if they are puropsely pushing fake or exaggarated cancer stories for the purpose of scaring people into pushing for cancer testing. Telling the truth is OK and nescesarry but not making up.

melfish
23-09-17, 22:56
I've had both an ER doctor and a PA google in front of me this year.

swajj
24-09-17, 02:30
Well of course you have lol

So go to a different doctor who doesn't Google in front of you. Also I said I find stories of doctors Googling in front of patients wildly exaggerated. I didn't say it has never, ever happened. :rolleyes:

MyNameIsTerry
24-09-17, 02:31
I DO blame them if they are puropsely pushing fake or exaggarated cancer stories for the purpose of scaring people into pushing for cancer testing. Telling the truth is OK and nescesarry but not making up.

Separate it affecting you from wanting to change something in society for the good. Anxiety will love you muddling them up and making it another part of your issues.

One is worry, one is concern. Concern is fine, worry less so...

Getting over emotional about an issue linked to your anxiety just keeps it going. They are still going to do what they do regardless of you or how many with HA. Non HAers have the same problems with the press over war, terrorism, financial apocalypse, etc but other than get the government to sort it all out, a job to big for anyone, you can choose to let it affect your life or you can learn to do what other people do and move on.

I think it's horrible that charities are using rare scenarios to scare people into giving money but that's what seems to happen when you forget it's about the charity and recruit executives with less than scrupulous backgrounds who just see it as another job.

Lilliput
24-09-17, 08:22
I have to say I wouldn't be horrified by a doctor bingling symptoms (other search engines are available!).
How can a GP be expected to keep everything about every condition in his/her head? And the doctor will have the knowledge to go to the right sites and to make a balanced judgement about the information, unlike an anxious patient who will immediately assume the worst.

paranoid-viking
24-09-17, 14:16
Separate it affecting you from wanting to change something in society for the good. Anxiety will love you muddling them up and making it another part of your issues.

One is worry, one is concern. Concern is fine, worry less so...

Getting over emotional about an issue linked to your anxiety just keeps it going. They are still going to do what they do regardless of you or how many with HA. Non HAers have the same problems with the press over war, terrorism, financial apocalypse, etc but other than get the government to sort it all out, a job to big for anyone, you can choose to let it affect your life or you can learn to do what other people do and move on.

I think it's horrible that charities are using rare scenarios to scare people into giving money but that's what seems to happen when you forget it's about the charity and recruit executives with less than scrupulous backgrounds who just see it as another job.

Indeed. It seems to me that they are indeed using people from the advertisement business and PR types for the cancer campaigns. Would not surprise me if the same PR types has been working in advertising cancerous products, like tobacco for excample. The world is one hypocritical place. And Public Relation is a multi million dollar industry.

When it comes to exaggaration based on the end justify the means I come to think of some of thos anti-drugs campaigns at school. I dont know how it is in other countries; but here in Norway we for decades have the following scenario in such campaigns: the police drug enforcement squad is visiting schools with the lectures on the dangers of drugs, all drugs. And along with them we have a supposedly reformed junkie, whose been serving times for drug offences. And he gives a story of how he was introduced to cannabis at a random party and then - two months later he was finding himself on the street addicted to heroin and selling his body to get money for heroin or something. Completely rubbish:doh:; would not surprise me if he is doing this to shorten his jail sentence or something. Please; I am not trying to justify any drug use; but this stories are all phony and completely riddicilous bullc*ap; people inside such circles knows that this is BS. But it only goes to show how far someone, including officials can go in spreading false stories for the purpose of getting a message through.

Mamafox2
24-09-17, 18:32
Ya it’s not good and also a sickness especially since I just googled about my lymph node and per the Cleveland clinic it said “ collar bone and lower neck lymph nodes usually indicate a cancerous cond” I don’t think the clinic can be wrong and now I’m terrified

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-17, 06:52
I have to say I wouldn't be horrified by a doctor bingling symptoms (other search engines are available!).
How can a GP be expected to keep everything about every condition in his/her head? And the doctor will have the knowledge to go to the right sites and to make a balanced judgement about the information, unlike an anxious patient who will immediately assume the worst.

That's a very good point. Medical databases are online and so are diagnostic manuals. They could be accessing those by using a careful Google search?

In my last job I was frequently using legislative guidelines and accessing regulatory websites. The seqarch facilities were not very intuitive so I would do a careful Google search and up it pops in the first few results most of the time.

Google invest billions in making their software work. How much does your average crappy government site invest? So, perhaps doctos are doing the same?

---------- Post added at 06:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 ----------

Indeed. It seems to me that they are indeed using people from the advertisement business and PR types for the cancer campaigns. Would not surprise me if the same PR types has been working in advertising cancerous products, like tobacco for excample. The world is one hypocritical place. And Public Relation is a multi million dollar industry.

When it comes to exaggaration based on the end justify the means I come to think of some of thos anti-drugs campaigns at school. I dont know how it is in other countries; but here in Norway we for decades have the following scenario in such campaigns: the police drug enforcement squad is visiting schools with the lectures on the dangers of drugs, all drugs. And along with them we have a supposedly reformed junkie, whose been serving times for drug offences. And he gives a story of how he was introduced to cannabis at a random party and then - two months later he was finding himself on the street addicted to heroin and selling his body to get money for heroin or something. Completely rubbish:doh:; would not surprise me if he is doing this to shorten his jail sentence or something. Please; I am not trying to justify any drug use; but this stories are all phony and completely riddicilous bullc*ap; people inside such circles knows that this is BS. But it only goes to show how far someone, including officials can go in spreading false stories for the purpose of getting a message through.

Hah! He was probably one of the coppers :winks:

I think we went through so of the scaremongering with the HIV/AIDS adverts years ago and not forgetting the crime ones with evil looking bats coming to rob us. A double wammy or the rabies worriers!!!

Currently we have a series of adverts that are just pandering to the rare stuff about heart health. They go like this...

1) Young, healthy bridesmaid standing over her own body looking at her sister (the bride) crying over her death.

2) Schoolboy looks up to see his young, healthy looking dad telling him to be strong as he has to go away. Then a teacher takes him into a other room to tell him the news.

There's also one with a child in who dies.

Just scaremongering about the rare stuff. Shock value advertising, no better than the Daily Mail.

nmpguys
02-10-17, 22:50
I have done the mistake of googling my symptoms far too many times, and even though I have been assured that its a minimal thing (often by the internet as well), i still think I might be the one-off case where it actually isn't so minimal.

For example in May i had some strong pain in one of my testicles and even found a small, moving lump, so you can imagine what i went through those days. Even though it stated on the internet as well that moving lumps in testicles are 99.99 percent a varicocele (1 in 3 men have it) and not cancer, I still lost sleep and virtually all appetite over it until i was forced to go to a private doctor, waste 1k pounds, to ensure that there was nothing wrong with me. Had ultrasounds and everything, even though it was not needed at all.

Similarly, recently i had an anal fissure, nothing big really just a cut (from what i was told) but the bother it was giving me made me 100 percent sure i had anal cancer (which is seriously one of the rarest cancers, and that affects only 2k people a year in the U.S.A, almost all from STIs, and over the age of 60. I am 20).

So you can imagine what sort of struggle it is and why I am trying so hard to avoid Google.

melfish
02-10-17, 23:02
If I'd never googled "tongue twitches", I'd not have spent the next 20 weeks (and counting) convinced I had ALS. I'd probably not even have looked at my tongue again, like a normal person.

budgie1979
03-10-17, 15:47
If I'd never googled "tongue twitches", I'd not have spent the next 20 weeks (and counting) convinced I had ALS. I'd probably not even have looked at my tongue again, like a normal person.

Tongue twitches (and ALS) is one of the things I absolutely have never googled because I only know about it through HA forums and I don't need a new health obsession. :lac: