PDA

View Full Version : Fiction that deals with mental illness?

GirlAfraid23
06-02-12, 11:10
I am interested in reading fiction surrounding mental illness.

At the moment Im reading a book on my kindle called "into the darkest corner" about a woman who is suffering from OCD after an abusive relationship and a partner who turns into a stalker.

I also enjoyed The curious incident of the dog in the night time - narrated through the eyes of an autistic boy.

I'm thinking about downloading "enduring love" another one about stalking which was also made into a film.
There are a few others I'm interested in reading:

The Bell Jar by Sylivia Plath
Electricity - a novel about living with epilepsy
Hallucinating Foucault
Are there any others anybody can recommend?

Kendra
06-02-12, 13:51
Hi there,

Just bought that to read!! I am currently reading Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson. Its fantastic........ Can't put it down!!!

Its about a lady who looses her memory everytime she sleeps. Its brill!! Love books like this myself!!!

Kendra x

theharvestmouse
06-02-12, 16:04
Alaistair Campell has written fictional books about depression, I bought one but have not read it yet.

Pipkin
06-02-12, 18:14
Hi,

You could try Mark Haddon, A Spot of Bother. Very well written, deeply tragic but light hearted at the same time. Deals with a man who finds a lesion on his leg and his worry gets completely out of control. My description doesn't do it justice. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

Pip