PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia or just lazIness?

Mike.
06-02-12, 19:10
So, I would just like some general advice from anyone who has experienced any kind of motivational problems in the past or currently going through something similar. I am currently at University and do 3 days a week Tues-Thurs (not a lot, I know) and I don't have a part time job, so Friday through to Monday I'm generally sleeping in, not doing a lot with my days.

I have recently changed my Anti-Depressant medication from Fluoxetine to Citalopram and have been warned that it may make me feel drowsy or 'zombie-like' which is certainly a term I would be inclined to use right now. I have a history of Agoraphobia, however I don't really relate this particular 'episode' to those kind of feelings of panic and anxiety I used to have about going out, it's more a general feeling of tiredness and not wanting to get motivated and leave the house.

I really don't know what it is, am I just lazy? Or is there a deeper explanation for the reason I don't want to leave the house in the morning or get out of bed any earlier than Noon. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, I need to break this cycle ASAP!

cathycrumble
06-02-12, 19:20
This can be put down to depression. but then I have a son who is 30 and he has always loved his bed and also he has lost a few jobs not his fault just redundacy and he has tended to just stay in bed all day which drives me nuts.

He did used to use weed which I think contributed to him staying in bed but he stopped that as it started making him a bit paranoid he's fine now but still loves his bed lol.

Can I ask why did you stop fluoxitine? How long were you on them for?

As i have been taking it for the past 31 days and the side effects were awful I couldnt eat my anxiety hit the roof so I have stopped them today not taking anymore I was on 20mg.

Stormsky
06-02-12, 19:29
I dont work, so dont bother getting up or dressed before lunch... bad i know, i need to start getting up and doing more... im not agorphobic though, i go out all the time.
I think its just lack of motivation....

saro
06-02-12, 19:51
I have this. I am also at university 4 days a week and some days I find it a struggle to get out. Its hard because I dont want to move, dont want to do anything and certainly dont want to see anyone. I also suffer with agrophobia and have done for some time. The reason I get so zombified is the depression side of my bipolar, rather than the agrophobia which kicks in with a panic. It will feel like you are being lazy when really you are just depressed. Citalopram helps me a little but you must remember to take small steps.. set small targets and dont expect too much out of yourself on these days.. Hope this helps.

keta
06-02-12, 21:43
Hi i think it's the side effect of Citalopram, which makes you feel like that, i doubt it's laziness. I remember i was always tired on it and could sleep and sleep especially in the mornings, even when i was at work i could just easily drop off, what time of the day do you take your medication because i used to take it in the mornings and then i swapped to evenings and the tiredness improved quite a bit.

Mike.
06-02-12, 21:55
Thanks for the replies, I stopped taking Fluoxetine as I felt I wasn't benefiting from them in the same was I was the past year. Was taking them just over a year and half.

Edit: I take mine in the mornings, also. I may try evenings instead :)

Lost_L
06-02-12, 22:00
Hi, I get like this. I'm also at uni and I am in four days a week. Never before 12pm and only ever for 2 hours at the most. I suffer with anxiety issues and fear of going out, this causes me to have a low mood and because I have no motivation to do anything I don't want to get up as early. It makes the day longer and gives me more time to dwell on doing nothing.
I wouldn't say you were lazy as I don't like to think of myself that way. I know other people probably would but the mind is a powerful thing (I'm slowly learning and coming to terms with this!) and it's not your fault if you suffer with side effects of tablets or issues that cause lack of motivation!
Laura x

Anxious_gal
06-02-12, 22:00
I think it's depression or a lack of motivation.
You wake up and getting out of bed feels scary or overwhelming .
The "normal" people don't feel like that , they wake up feeling sleepy or tired, they don't dread the day ahead .

clear blue sky
06-02-12, 22:21
This is so strange. I asked myself this very same question a week ago. I started having panic attacks and was off work for 10 weeks. I started on sertraline and would spend my days doing absolutely nothing. I slept all the time going to bed at midnight, not waking up until 14:00 the following day and then even went for a half hour cat nap at 6!!! I was like sleeping ugly (considering I couldn't even be bothered to brush my hair).

I really thought I was becoming agoraphobic and then I thought "na your just lazy."

Sometimes If you have been suffering with depression/anxiety It can really just wipe you out. All that negative thinking and feeling on edge can make you feel like you have run a marathon. Its so draining. And thinking 'I really have no motivation can make you really have no motivation'.

Its only the end of last week I started getting properly dressed and getting my bum to move.

Sometimes we just have to listen to our bodies and do what it says, If that means more sleep then so be it, just don't be hard on yourself about it.
However sometimes we need to create our own motivation. Set yourself small things to do each day, sometimes the less we do the worst we feel. Getting up and just achieving one small task will give you a boost. I'm out and about now and have all the motivation in the world.
sorry for the long reply.

rock chick
07-02-12, 03:23
I'm new here but I thought I'd just throw in my 2 cents as it were. I agree it sounds very much like depression rather than agoraphobia but I suppose the test to this is since you've had it before compare the feelings with now. You say you feel lack of motivation to get out of bed and basically leave the house, etc. Can you bring yourself to leave the house for even a few moments, just to say check the letterbox? How does the prospect make you feel just being outside at all?

Laziness, no way! Alright that's just an opinion because both can be factors and lack of motivation feeds on being lazy, although I really dislike using that word in context with people suffering things like anxiety and/or depression because it reminds me of how certain insensitive people would refer to people with mental illness like that.
Lets put it this way, to me being lazy is not doing stuff because you're just being slack about it, it's not even a really negative thing depending on what it's about. Whereas lack of motivation, depression (you know feeling what is the point?, etc.) means you just can't see a point or you feel you actually lack the ability.

Mike.
07-02-12, 08:47
I feel slightly better today, I set my alarm for 8am, got up and had a shower and that felt like an achievement. But now I don't know what to do with the day and worry that I might just end up wasting it. I feel okay going outside, to the shops etc but I do always feel like I'm in a hurry to get home afterwards... Like it feels 'safe' - that feeling I can definitely relate to my past agoraphobia problems. I want to go to university, so badly, but I just can't hack the travel at the moment, it takes 30 minutes to get in and I just don't want to get the two buses there and back as I just feel so drained.

I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself but I used to be so active playing football and going to the gym that I can't help but feel guilty for the way I'm wasting my days at the moment :(

rock chick
07-02-12, 12:06
Sometimes just having a shower is an achievement, so really be glad you even brought yourself to do that, to go out, it's all an achievement when you don't want to do almost anything!

I understand the feeling of shame that you're just not doing what you used to be able to easily, that simple things are a struggle but try and see each day as a new one with the possibility you can get through it and even small things matter. I'm not at that stage of feeling that yet but I do try and look at it that way.