PDA

View Full Version : work worries

scoob
07-02-12, 00:08
Hi guys,
Having a really bad month. I had a meeting with my work today and was told they feel my condition of anxiety and depression means that it is unlikely that I will be able to work in my old position again even part time as the stressors/triggers will still be there. I really do not know what to do. I have suffered severely for the last three-four months and was told today that redeployment is an option but after three months I will be dismissed if I do not find something. I really feel that my whole career is now over. I thought I was handling it but to be told everything I had worked for is probably gone now has screwed me up all day. They also told me my reference would not be great due to my absence. I don’t know how cope with this. I thought I was getting better but this has really kicked me in the teeth. I have been off since June last year and cannot see anything changing anytime soon.;
I am frightened of starting again and just need some advice of how to start. Any experiences or advice would be very welcome.

S

swanlinnet
07-02-12, 02:09
Yes, I have some advice for you: You could try listening to the Claire Weeks' C.D.'s.

I usually have little faith in much of what is written on anxiety and depressio but Claire Weeks; recordings are the exception.

Below is a link to some of her recordings. Please, try to incorporate listening to these recordings into your life. They really are so useful.

Hope this helps, Vince:)
http://www.youtube.com/user/swanlinnet?feature=mhee#p/u/6/zdwViMUeoz0

william wallace
07-02-12, 14:34
Realistically, I'd say there's a good chance that you will be either downgraded to a less stressful job ( would that be so bad?) or bumped. If they decide to pay you off they have to give you an enhanced package as they dont want to be taken to a tribunal that they cant win. Make certain that they know that just because you have mental heath problems doesnt mean that you are stupid, and get the most out of them that you can.
Kerching:)

swanlinnet
07-02-12, 20:13
Good advice Willaim. It has just reminded me, we have to be practical also.

Vince

william wallace
07-02-12, 20:17
Well it recently happened to me swan, they offered £4200 for 4 years I ended up with £7400. All I need now is another job before I spend it all:D

scoob
08-02-12, 21:20
cheers guys, got a meeting with the union on Monday to go through the dimissal due to capability issues. don't think a pay off will happen. boss couldn't even look at me in the face. worse thing is i worked for 12 years and to be told that it all will go due to a breakdown has taken me back. I made a mistake that they had to pay out on and now as far as they're concerned i'm damaged goods to sweep away.

Not feeling much confidence in the future now. no money, deteriorating mentsl health and no energy to fight for this anymore.

S

Pipkin
08-02-12, 21:52
Scoob,

It's an awful situation to be in but it's important you try to get what's best for you. Your company will have to provide firm evidence that your medical condition means you can no longer do your job. A letter from your doctor etc. if there is a sound case for this, it is your company's responsibility to try to redeploy you. If this is not possible, it is only at this point you could be dismissed. I chair these hearings quite often and my advice would be to work very closely with your union rep and listen to their advice. Most companies are afraid of union involvement and even more so of possible employment tribunals. They will also be very wary of the defining of mental illness within the disability discrimination act. ETs take a very dim view of discrimination under this act.

Good luck

Pip

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

I forgot to say that your company also had to offer to make reasonable adjustments to your job to enable you to carry on doing it, if at all possible.

X

scoob
08-02-12, 23:41
Thanx Pipkin,
I was told by HR and my boss that since I had depression and anxiety part time may not be an option or any other adjustments as my stressors could be there one, two or five days a week. I am beginning to think the 'stressors' are more organisational than the clients I work with. I am soooo scared of going back since I my mistake and made my boss do an investigation and she clearly wants rid of me, if I do go back I am jsut going to be targetted under capabiltity and they will get rid of me in the end. i know I am paranoid at times but even the union are suggesting I just go. It's so hard to deal with losing everything that I worked so hard to get and i know from colleagues thatkeep in touch that my boss is keen for me not to come back. all this is not helping with my recovery and I just do not knwo what to do.

S

Pipkin
09-02-12, 07:26
Scoob,

I really feel for you - it's a horrible situation to be in. You need to do what's best for you but my advice would be to try your hardest to attend the meeting and work closely with your union rep. I know it will be really difficult but try to give it one last push. Your rep may be able to negotiate you a leaving package, including a pre agreed reference which will really help in the future. Mention 'compromise agreement' to your rep and see what he/she says.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Pip x

william wallace
09-02-12, 09:04
even the union are suggesting I just go.

Never ever ever just go. Terminating your own employment means you are dissallowed benefit from JSA.

Just because you lost them a few grand doesnt mean they can deduct it from your redundancy, you were unwell at the time. I'm pretty certain that the law will be on your side here and for twelve years service you should get a decent package. Have a wee look through this, in particular chapter 15
http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/d/a/Acas_Health_Work___Wellbeing_%28August_2011%29.pdf

Kendra
09-02-12, 14:27
So sorry to here this scoob!!! I can't believe some employers?? How do they think this is going to effect your depression & anxiety?????

I am so mad reading this post. They are pushing you when you just don't need it. I agree with everyone else don't let them push you out!!!! Stand up and let them know you are not taking it!!!

Hope everything works out ok. Take care.

Kendra x

p.s sorry for getting angry....

scoob
14-02-12, 00:04
Hi guys sorry for the break. Been offline for a few days. The saga continues. My union feel they are going to put me on redeployment but there is no work so that will be a dismissal soon. I am so angry and tired of fighting. I have found another job to apply for which is part time and not as stressful but I am not sure about interviews while I am off sick. All this has caused me so much anxiety I am really struggling now. My doc now feels I may have bpd which is being aggravated by the anxiety and depression so just want to leave now and stuff them. However, all this has led me to doubt whether I a m fit for work. Sorry for the ramble but this is where my head is today. Thank you all for taking the time to offer support and advice. S. :

william wallace
14-02-12, 00:10
Your best bet Scoob, is keep putting in sick notes until they pay you off:mad:

scoob
14-02-12, 00:37
Only got sick pay till march so coming to the end now. They already have someone temping for my position who has been desperate for the job for the last couple of years & up the bosses backside. Maybe I just need a break from the crap

S

petram
14-02-12, 21:56
i know how u feel scoob iv had a lil job the last 3 months although iv always worked this was a new lil 1 nothing much but got me out , and the employer sacked me friday for bugger all , and its all i needed NOT.... i was suppose to off been on the books n the dodgy git ( trust me im being polite there )!! was paying cash in hand , iv come away to my sister s this week with the kids but iv been scared how things are gonna pan out now i dont have the lil job !! :( it s bad enough at the best off times but when u have anxiety n depression its a right kick in the bollox although im a woman and i dont have any!! please god something crops up or my meds start doing there job!! keep ya chin up mate , but your in a better postion than me you have rights it dont look like i do, so dont letthem push u around , i know easier said than done when u got depression , but hold ya head up high hun . xxx

scoob
17-02-12, 13:36
Thank guys gonna fight my corner for a bit longer. Also looking for other work as don't want to work with people who can't be trusted

millym
19-02-12, 15:59
Well it recently happened to me swan, they offered £4200 for 4 years I ended up with £7400. All I need now is another job before I spend it all:D
I'm going through something similar and no idea what to do, union worse than useless :mad: employers have told me that if I'm not back next month they'll dismiss me through capability, William - maybe you know - I'm assuming this will not include any financial sum?? :ohmy: no idea what to do :wacko: