PDA

View Full Version : WEIGHT LOSS ON CITALOPRAM

PanickyPolly
18-06-06, 13:23
hey guys I really need advice as I'm getting very worried. I'm 5ft 3" and used to weigh a fairly healthy 7 stone 12 pounds but since taking Citalopram I've dropped down to 7 stones 3 pounds. I'm steadily losing weigbt at about 1 pound per week. This is even though I'm drinking high calorie drinks to try to avoid it. I'm not sure I wnt to be taking these drugs anymore as hey don't seem to help my anxiety much at all. They got rid of the depression but the anxiety is still debilitating. My GP dismissed the weight loss as unimportant but it's worrying me. He says it's likely to be the drugs but said I'd be a mess without them but I'm a mess with them too.

Two heads
18-06-06, 17:51
This sounds just like me!Im 5,3 and was 7,12 and im now down to 7,7 and it really does get you down i no.I have also mentioned to my gp and she does not seem to worried at present time.How long have you been taking them?i have been taking them 3months and am getting smaller and smaller!!!

tara
18-06-06, 20:22
I too lost lots of weight whilst taking citaolpram I went down too 8st 7lbs.
I no longer take them and i'm up to a respectable 10st(ish)[:I]

PanickyPolly
19-06-06, 10:23
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">This sounds just like me!Im 5,3 and was 7,12 and im now down to 7,7 and it really does get you down i no.I have also mentioned to my gp and she does not seem to worried at present time.How long have you been taking them?i have been taking them 3months and am getting smaller and smaller!!!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Bong - 18 June 2006 : 18:51:33</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Not sure how long I've been taking them actually but my weight has gone down and down and I feel like I'm fading away! I think I'm going to ask my Go to put me on something else because if I carry on losing weight I'll be ill and my periods will stop.

Two heads
20-06-06, 19:10
So how are you thin people out there today?Im feeling cr.p.The meds were working but have had a bit of a blip this week.xxx

polly daydream
21-06-06, 00:11
Hi Bong, well I as a thin person is not doing to bad, apart from losing two pounds in just one week!!! we all have blips so don't worry.

Polly x

Gibbles
22-06-06, 08:04
Wow, I wish I was actually on your side of things guys, I've put on 2 stone since taking Citalopram! [:O]

My diet intake, activity levels have stayed constant, and up from 10st 2 to 12st 3!!!

I cant believe the different effects it can have on different people

anxious
22-06-06, 11:07
Hi,

i'm loosing weight on these as well - thought i was going crackers because i expected that they would make you put it on.
But i'm happy about it because i need to loose it. Don't think they are helping with the anxiety though.
anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Two heads
22-06-06, 17:40
Well yes iam getting thinner and thinner!I have been most upset today as i have been trying clothes on for a night out with old friends on sat and i just look terrible.A black pair of trousers that have always looked nice are baggy as hell.
And i was onlY 7,12 to begin with,Im now 7,6 if that.My legs are like sticks so much so my sis was honest with me about not wearing a dresss which im thankful for.People that are over weight dont seem to realise how difficult and upsetting it is to be looseing the weight,its not nice really it isnt.I feel like a walking stick.
And i bet on sat people will say owe arent you thin and that will make me paranoid.So the next person to say it to me, im going to say owe have you put it weight on.I known i sounds harsh but maybe if i say this they may understand how they make me feel.
It seems to be ok to tell thin people that they have lost weight but if you tell an over weight person they have put it on they are instantly upset.Sorry to moan but thats how my weight makes me feel.xxxx

polly daydream
22-06-06, 21:16
Yes, I totally agree with you Two heads, I am always being told " you are so tiny" I hate it. It makes me feel awfull for the rest of the evening!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Polly

anxious
22-06-06, 21:30
I'm not one of those people two heads as i am totally aware how it can annoy/upset people. My hubby is of a slender build so i know where you are coming from BUT also it annoys me when people say 'havent you lost weight' when i havent. I know they are trying to be nice but really can't they just talk about the weather or something lol

anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Gibbles
23-06-06, 06:58
I dont deny losing weight can be just as upsetting as putting it on, but its easier to put weight on than lose it. Wouldnt increasing your calorie consumption even out the balance a little?

Even skinny guys in the gym can get bigger, it is hard work, but it can be done [8)]

Two heads
23-06-06, 10:11
Ive just been talking to someone and im going to put myself on a high carb diet and see how i go with that!
If you have any tips anyone i would be greatful chaps.
What sort of stuff gibbs do they eat at the gym?
Im drinking complan once a day at the moment.Im sorry to moan but it really is getting me down now chaps,i just feel so ugly and thin.
Thanks anxious,polly,gibbs,tara for your kind replys!xxxxxxxxxxx

Gibbles
23-06-06, 11:35
A high carb diet will work wonders, carbs are the easiest way to put on weight, as unused carb energy will quickly be stored as fat. Also, try eating carbs late at night, as carbs can take up to 4 hours to be digested by the body and turned into usable energy.

I.e Eat carbs at 8pm and the energy from them wont be ready until midnight, at which point you will (or should be :D) in bed. The energy will have nowhere to go as you are sendantary, so your body will store it as fat, making you heavier [:P]

You could also try a weight gainer, skinny guys in the gym use this stuff, perfectly safe, no chemicals etc, just high concentrations of proteins and calories to bulk you up

Something like this would work. I went from 9st 7 to 11st 2 on a similar product when I was bulking up

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/eshop/weight-gainers/interactive-nutrition-mammoth-2500-(2.2kg)-banana.asp

[8)]

polly daydream
23-06-06, 13:19
I think I will give that a go to, perhaps some tips on what to eat would be good, any ideas welcome.

Best wishes

Polly

Gibbles
23-06-06, 13:46
Eat white carbs, and lots.......

Beer, pasta, white bread, white rice...........

All of these have been processed and so all the fibre etc has been taken out, making your body's digestion of them much simpler. The simpler the process, the quicker they are digested, meaning the quicker those calories store as fat on your body, and the quicker your curves returneth [8)]

Two heads
23-06-06, 19:50
Thanks gibbs for your great and helpful replys your a dimond!
I sure polly,polly panick,and i will keep you informed just as to how your tips are helping.Its nice to meet somebody so helpful.
BRING ON THOSE CURVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PanickyPolly
24-06-06, 12:46
I'm eating loads of carbs (I always have done) and weight gaining drinks but as still losing weight. All I can put it down to is the Citalopram. I've always found it very easy to loose weight and hard to put it on (almost impossible infact) but since the drugs it's 10 times harder. I lost a lot of weight after losing a baby (which is when my anxiety started) and worked VERY hard to put it back on almost making myself sick with horrible weight gain drinks then as soon as I took Citalopram I lost it all again. The only thing I can do to put it back on is come off the drugs. My GP explained that the reason it makes some ppl lose weight and others gain is because it changes the metabolism and if you are naturally inclined to put on weight it makes you put on weight or if you are naturually inclined to lose weigth it causes weight loss. AlsoI know how you feel guys about being thin. It's sooooooooo hurtful when ppl say 'gosh you're thin'. I mean how would they feel if you said "gosh you're fat". Where's the difference? On top of being underweight I'm also Marfanoid which means my arms and legs are too long for my height. My arms are longer than my 5ft 8" friend and I'm only 5ft 3". This makes me look even thinner. So basicaly when people point out I'm thin they are pointing out a deformity.

Gibbles
26-06-06, 11:56
Do you like Choccy digestives?!

They are tremendously helpful in putting on weight [:P]

They have trans-fats in them, which are they worst form of fat to consume (if you are watching your weight) or in your case, they might just help girlies [8)]

polly daydream
26-06-06, 18:51
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I'm eating loads of carbs (I always have done) and weight gaining drinks but as still losing weight. All I can put it down to is the Citalopram. I've always found it very easy to loose weight and hard to put it on (almost impossible infact) but since the drugs it's 10 times harder. I lost a lot of weight after losing a baby (which is when my anxiety started) and worked VERY hard to put it back on almost making myself sick with horrible weight gain drinks then as soon as I took Citalopram I lost it all again. The only thing I can do to put it back on is come off the drugs. My GP explained that the reason it makes some ppl lose weight and others gain is because it changes the metabolism and if you are naturally inclined to put on weight it makes you put on weight or if you are naturually inclined to lose weigth it causes weight loss. AlsoI know how you feel guys about being thin. It's sooooooooo hurtful when ppl say 'gosh you're thin'. I mean how would they feel if you said "gosh you're fat". Where's the difference? On top of being underweight I'm also Marfanoid which means my arms and legs are too long for my height. My arms are longer than my 5ft 8" friend and I'm only 5ft 3". This makes me look even thinner. So basicaly when people point out I'm thin they are pointing out a deformity.

<div align="right">Originally posted by PanickyPolly - 24 June 2006 : 13:46:04</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Panicky Polly, I know just how you feel, I have always had trouble putting weight on, I never seem to be able to get past 7 stone, being 5' 2" I should be at least 7.7 stones but that extra half a stone will not go on, all eating junk does is put my cholesterol up! people are just so rude when they comment on your weight, I think they assume we are anerexic and like being like it. Do your family comment or is it ig'norant people in the street?
When I am out and about, all I imagine is that people are looking at me thinking how slim I am, this adds to my anxiety.

Best wishes,

Polly

Gibbles
26-06-06, 18:58
If they are looking at you and thinking how slim you are, its only because they wish they were slim too. So so many people wish they were thinner, so their glances towards you, is part envy, part admiration, but above all, nothing negative.

Remember, being thin is much healthier than being fat. You dont get the respiratory problems, the joint problems, the brain problems.

My dad is huge, he's my height (5'6"-5'7") but he's 26 stone, The sheer number of health related issues he has a result are awful. So in reality, although it may not be the first thought that comes into your mind, but you are starting off much luckier than some

Im sure you're not too thin [8)]

suzymbates
26-06-06, 19:10
Hi there

Since I started taking citalopram I put a stone on - but then again being on the pill doesn't help either. The Anti-D just made me hungrier unless it was the nerves.

Susan
xxx

susan

Two heads
27-06-06, 20:27
Well all hope you are not feeling to thin today?
I have gone out and brought some weight gain drink.Each drink contains 547cals.I will let you know how my fat fast diet goesxxxxxxxx

PanickyPolly
29-06-06, 10:07
Hi guys,

first of in answer to your question Polly #2 it's been both family and strangers who comment on my weight. My friends never say anything...probably because they know how sensitive I am and that I can't help it. I never discuss my health with my mum as she's got a metal illness and is an alcoholic and I can't discuss it with my step dad as he's hard of hearing. As for joint problems though I have those because I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. However it is far healthier to be underweight than overweight. there's only so much you can lose however when you're so small to start of with. Luckily I've been feeling better lately so my GP reduced my meds. I'm aiming to come off them completely in a couple of months and then start with the weight gain drinks again.

Two heads
09-07-06, 20:22
Well its going up hip hip hoo ray!!!
But how long will it last?Who knowns
I have been eating loads of bananas and a weight gain drink for two weeks and eating three meals a day.It is slow but some is better than nonexxx

Gibbles
10-07-06, 11:25
Excellent news! See (please adopt a George McFly from Back to the Future tone....) If you put your mind to it, you can acomplish anything ;)

I've lost 4 lbs too with my training, so looks like everyones getting the ball rolling, well done guys! :D

Two heads
10-07-06, 19:40
Cheers gibbles for your on going surport hun.You sound like your doing well thats great!
Now all we have to do is keep it rolling and we will get where we desire.Love the tone,you are so rightxxxxxxx

polly daydream
11-07-06, 22:25
Hi Two heads, I am pleased that you are doing great with your weight, since taking citalopram I haven't lost any which was my biggest fear, so looks like we are all winning.

Best wishes,

Polly x

Two heads
12-07-06, 09:50
Thanks polly!
Glad you are not looseing it hun.how are you doing with it?xx

tuddy
12-07-06, 21:57
hi i have been taking citolpram for about eight weeks i feel real calm but i do not thihttp://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/lounge/images/icon_mi_2.gif
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/lounge/images/icon_mi_2.gifnk i have lost any weight wishful thinking on my part i supose tuddy

polly daydream
13-07-06, 00:40
Hi Two heads, I'm doing ok thanks, am still on 10mg at mo, am going to up it next week to 15mg, no major side effects at moment, thanks for asking. What about you?

Polly xx

Two heads
13-07-06, 10:04
Well i have been feeling great!But ive got this ear infection so doc saids and im a bit down about that.Its like im not ment to be happy.
If its not one thing its something else.Glad you are doing well!xxxx

Two heads
13-07-06, 10:06
Hi tuddy!
Theres still time yet to shred a few so dont worry.Hope you are feeling better with these meds hun?xxxxxxxx

polly daydream
13-07-06, 20:21
Hi Two heads, sorry you are not feeling that great at the moment, your ear infection should clear up soon hun, so hang on in there. I like you find I get one thing after another, it's like once one thing gets sorted something else rears it's ugly head.

Take care,

Polly xx

Two heads
13-07-06, 20:44
Thats it polly!It can drive you mad after a while caut it.
How are you all today?xx

Gibbles
13-07-06, 20:45
Im feeling a bit down........................Gonna head to the gym in a few and hope that helps [B)]

polly daydream
14-07-06, 01:05
I ok today thanks Two Heads.

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit down Gibbles, hope the gym helped.

Best wishes,

Polly xx

polly daydream
18-07-06, 18:50
Well, I ended up having the runs over the weekend and have lost 2 pounds, not sure if it's the citalopram or a tummy bug, has anyone else had the trots with this drug or is it just me?

Thanks,

Polly x

Two heads
18-07-06, 20:37
Well hi there polly!
I have had the trots to this week end,i think its just a bug hun so dont worry!I hope you feel better soon.
Hi gibbles, i hope you are feeling better this week?
Take care allxxx

polly daydream
18-07-06, 20:49
Thanks for your reply Two Heads, I hope you are feeling better, touch wood I feel a little better today.

Take care,

Polly xx

bajskorv
27-11-09, 01:23
I've lost two pounds in two days. Something weird is going on because I'm starving hungry but I just don't feel like eating. My stomach's rumbling but I'm just not interested in anything but Jaffa Cakes.

I don't know if this is to do with the fact I'm feeling constantly sick which is putting me off food, or if my appetite has just been cut.

What's worse is that I'm at home with my family at the moment and they seem to be almost guilt tripping me into eating something. I keep trying to say it's the pills and I'll eat when I'm ready - but no.

Clarissa83
28-05-10, 22:31
I just keep putting on weight and not sure why, i don't have a bad diet & I am active. Could it be the Citalopram or am I just a fattie?? HELP!!xx

saltydawg
29-05-10, 08:53
Hi PP, I too have lost weight in citalopram. I'm a guy and to be honest needed to drop a few, so far its half a stone. and I only been on em a week! My appetite has gone completley and the side effects are horrendous for me but have been told by my GP TO stick with it.

Jannie2948
29-05-10, 09:04
I was exactly the same when I started on citalopram 8 months ago. Lost 2 stone really quickly because I just couldn't eat and the side effects were horrible. Now though my weight has gone back up although I eat very healthily and never eat junk. I think it is the meds because someone I work with is on them and she has the same problem. Have to up my exercise and see if that helps. I'd sooner have the weight and be free of the anxiety though, bit of a vicious circle!!!

loulabella
29-05-10, 09:34
I lost a lot last sept when I took cit. Back on it now but at a much lower dose which is helping. I am hungry but can't be bothered to eat at times but making myself as I go to the gym and nearly died when I went after only a glass of milk! Little and often. X