PDA

View Full Version : just need to ask someone

tricia56
07-02-12, 11:28
hi just want to ask if any one if they hearing or watch some thing on tv makes them start to think about it and makes them anxiiouse and dwell on it as iwatched a program last nite and abit of it was about a couple who taken overdoses beccause of there depression and drink problems and after watching it it played on my mind because i ive had the intrusive thought a few times and it scares the hell out of me
and i find it hard to to cope with them as i dont know how to let the thoughts go .what i m trying it ask is juyst me or is it just my anxietyand other people are like me when they hear or watch something and can any one give me any tips on over coming letting thoughts just go thk u

sickandtired
07-02-12, 11:58
i was exactly the same last year at the height of my anxiety.After the M5 tragedy my mind was in turmoil as my daughter was going on a school trip to France as I imagined allsorts.....coach crashing,terrorist attack,my daughter getting abducted.....some of my thoughts are so irrational,but you just cant help it.I had a real meltdown the day before she was due back from the trip.A few months ago I decided to stop watching the News and any films/programs which contained horror,abuse,violence of any kind because I just couldnt trust my mind to switch off afterwards.....it was far too active and my panic attacks were increasing.
Have you seen the doctor about your anxiety? what help have you been offered,if you dont mind me asking?

mmb
07-02-12, 12:13
Hi Tricia56,
Yes, that happens to me quite a lot! I often avoid watching some things and even the news but unfortunately anything can trigger... I know it's very scary and people say that distraction is very effective. I put on some loud music and sing along :) Apparently CBT it's very helpful too. I'm on a waiting list and very hopeful that it will help me. Can you ask your doctor for some sort of talking therapy?

Stormsky
07-02-12, 12:45
Yes happens to me too, complex mind provoking films !! i havent watched that INCEPTION film , as i know will freak me out with anxious thinking!!

sickandtired
07-02-12, 13:01
its rubbish anyway! i fell asleep after 5 minutes....I hate complex weird films that are suppose to get better......I like heartwarming,feelgood predictable films without shocks and surprises,and i love comedy.....anything that gets me out of a depressing mood is a winner.
absolutely detest horror