PDA

View Full Version : Very acute period of anxiety - do I start Sertraline? Experience and advice please!

Gareth
07-02-12, 13:44
Hi there,

I was prescribed Sertraline for ongoing anxiety issues which have developed into a fear of speaking to other people at work. Obviously, given that I just signed a mortgage agreement, I am pretty terrified of this latest anxiety development, as in my mind it ends with me losing my job.

Anyway, I don't think I've heard a single good thing about Sertraline / Zoloft on the internet since I started researching it yesterday. But I know how it goes, only people who have had BAD experiences tend to both putting anything up on the web, and those who feel better just get on with their lives. Therefore I am finding it very hard to take the meds, I am totally stuck between a fear of the meds, and a fear that my anxiety will end up losing me my job. Just don't know what to do for the best. I REALLY want to go it without meds, but I am struggling very badly right now.

I have used A/Ds before, way back in 2005/2006, I was on 40mg of Citalopram for generalised anxiety, which did help me a lot and eventually got to me a state of being able to not constantly focus on the anxiety. I tried them again in 2010 but they didn't do anything, so I guess the doc wants to try something new for this new flare up of acute anxiety.

I know that a period of lots of stress have got me to this point. I have taken on lots more responsibility at work, and we've had a really really busy 3 months of planning work, my partner is stressed at work, we have been living together in a tiny flat, and on top of that we've been engaged in buying a house for the past two and a half months, which is pretty stressful stuff as well. Part of me thinks, just get past this stressful period and try to relax and calm down, don't put yourself on meds and make things worse for yourself. However, I am very acute right now, and struggling to see a way through how I feel, and it IS already affecting my work.

I'm just looking for people's advice / experiences. Don't pull any punches because I'm no stranger to serious anxiety or to medication. Let me know please how you got on with Sertraline, how long it took and at what dosage to see any effects... and any other experiences and advice would be really welcome.

Thanks,
Gareth

xhyperyogix
07-02-12, 15:38
hi, i had headaches and generally odd feelings for 2 days, then I was 'high' for another 2 days, then 'normal'. they have helped the physical signs of anx after 4 days, and seem to be helping the depression too ( its 2.5 weeks now).

In all, no side effects after 4 days and have done a good job at pulling me out of a hole so far...

good luck xx

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

oh and i started them on a saturday and was back working on the tuesdayxxx

Gareth
07-02-12, 16:18
Thanks for the reply Yogi. Can I ask what dose you started on, and what dose you have found to be effective?

Gareth

bettykitten
07-02-12, 19:41
There has been a lot of good stuff written about sertraline too, you only need to look on these boards. :)

xhyperyogix
07-02-12, 23:22
started on 50mg and am still on that same now. theres a way to go with the depression, but it is deffo sorting out the anx / stress / panic stuff. xxxx