PDA

View Full Version : Floaters

MidnightCalm
07-02-12, 17:28
I have them really bad.
I've had them for ages.
They seem to have got worse now.
They move after I move my eyes, sometimes they look black and other times they look white. They're actually really annoying and it's kind of distressing now.
Does anybody else have these? They're constant.

Anxious_gal
07-02-12, 17:34
It might be visual snow ?
I get both pretty bad, it unnerves me too at times :(
But it won't harm you , you could always get an eye test if you're worried .

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Is it worse when you look at a white screen or up at the sky?

MidnightCalm
07-02-12, 17:47
What is visual snow? I used to get migraines a lot if it's to do with that but I haven't had one or even a real headache for ages. It's worse when I'm tired.
:/ My eyes look normal (just always seem to be red and feel sore and tired!)

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

I practically stare at the computer screen 24/7 too, that might have something to do with it :/ I never really look at anything far away, I'm always on computers!

eight days a week
07-02-12, 18:15
Yes I've had a couple for years - think I was told they are more or less permanent usually. Never heard of white ones but only asked about my black ones.

I suffer from migraines too, no idea if they're related.

Staring at a PC screen for that long isn't good (I know, I often do it myself!) Not good for the eyes generally, and it affects other things e.g. there's light from the screen that affects the quality of your sleep if you use it before bed, or will even stop your body recognising when it's naturally tired and should be going to sleep!

Danii
07-02-12, 19:06
I had these for years. I went to my eye doctor for them, he said they're very common, something along the lines of they're just extra proteins or something inside your eye.

He also told me if they got really really bad and bothersome theres some surgery they can do, but its really not anything medical to be concerned about, so there really isnt need for surgery.

MidnightCalm
13-03-12, 22:56
http://drugster.info/img/ail/3169_3192_3.jpg

This is what they look like on the inside
They probably appear to you as this

http://rizzlez.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/10036336-eye-floaters-or-consciousness-light.jpg

or similar.

Apparently they come and go throughout life and need no treatment as it's normal but a sudden increase or massive amount should be looked into by your GP because it could be a sign of a retinal detachment.

blueangel
15-03-12, 11:08
Agreeing with the other posters about these - they're really common and I think I've had them for most of my adult life now. Mine are more noticeable if I'm tired or where the are very bright lights. I was told by an optician that they're basically little bits of debris inside our eyes, which is why they move around as you move your eyes.

The thing I've found helps is to try to look "past" them - as soon as you focus on them, they become intrusive.

Midnight Calm - yes, you're dead right about getting them checked out if you suddenly get lots of them, or if they become much larger than normal. I got this in my right eye earlier this year and when it was checked out, it was debris from a minute blood vessel having popped in my eye, probably as a result of having a very bad cough!