PDA

View Full Version : Self Confidence

Joe C
07-02-12, 19:55
anyone else occasionally suffer with crippling self doubt? Its strange, I've been a hairdresser for 8 years, work in a top salon, very rarely recieve complaints and when I'm at work Im content and confident.

But occasionally when I get home I sometimes think and obsess about the past and how while I was still learning I wasn't as good as I am now. Then I start to fixate on the bad things that I've had in my career and anxiety and self doubt creep in.

No matter how much I think about all the good things about my career which far outweigh the bad I still cant help feeling like I''m not good enough sometimes.

Anyone else suffer from this? :doh:

much love! Joe

swanlinnet
07-02-12, 20:53
Sure do Joe :)

Self-doubt is a bloody pain !!

Yet if I cultivate gratitude more rather than fear of losing what bit of 'talent' I might have, doubt seems to leave.

It's a funny thing doubt. BUt sometimes it can keep us in check from being egotistical.

Vince:)

Stormsky
07-02-12, 21:51
You were training, so of course you werent as good as you are now! thats the natural process of learning, you cant be an expert straight off...
Concentrate on the now.... everything , even a second ago, is the past....
You know the saying, you can receive 10 compliaments and 1 insult, and the only thing you remember is the insult !!!

Joe C
07-02-12, 21:55
very true stormsky! Thanks for the replies guys :)

kittikat
07-02-12, 22:54
Hi Joe, I am also a hairdresser, been working in a training environment 18 years and often doubt myself now that I am involved with the hairdressers of the future!! We teach the basics to level 2 and I feel sometimes 'out of the loop' as it's been a long time since I worked in a salon. I also often question my own judgement when assessing students....is that good enough, do I pass or fail them, would my colleagues agree with my decision? Also get that 'are they judging my skills/knowledge when working alongside other trainers and sometimes the old nerves kick in. I guess it's just insecurities that come with anxiety, striving for perfection/control. We wouldn't still be in our jobs if we were crap would we?

Don't doubt yourself, you have a sucessful and rewarding career so embrace it!! Your clients wouldn't return to you if they were unhappy...you're probably a bit of a perfectionist like me and a brilliant stylist I'm sure :D

theharvestmouse
08-02-12, 08:58
I get this but I am slowly improving, I always do my best in everything I do, but sometimes I'm so hard on myself. However I have started to think more positively, I think about how much good feedback I get rather than any mistakes I have ever made in life.