PDA

View Full Version : Awful depression on Sertraline

beth3070
08-02-12, 02:29
so here i am at 2.18am not sleeping and dreading tomorrow coming which will be another day lying in bed. I have suffered from boughts of depression for the last 12 years and anxiety all my life. Most of the time I cope ok but this time I've really sunk low. I feel so scared that this is the big one and I'll end up in a mental hospital. I have been on Sertraline for the last 8 weeks. I had no bad side effects at all but have just slowly got worse and worse. Now I'm panicking and afraid. to the outside world i have a wonderful life and a wonderful husband i feel so guilty that i am depressed as i have no reason to be. I am scared stiff that something really awful will happen like my husband dieing or he gets cancer. I feel so pathetic. I came off Prozac as it kind of stopped working. I had high hopes for Sertraline. Now my doctor wants me to stop this and go on to citalopram but i'm scared stiff this wont work iether, then what. I want to go away and hide. I dont want tomorrow to come. I feel so guilty and angry with my self

diane07
08-02-12, 02:30
Hi beth3070

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

swanlinnet
08-02-12, 02:49
Dear Beth'

Greetings :) You will pick up and get better !!!! You must be exhausted. I really understand this as do most people here on this great forum.

Beth' lots of people here have said Claire Weeks's recordings really helped them. I agree. The recordings can lift the depression at once.

Here is a direct link to the recordings :-

http://www.youtube.com/user/swanlinnet?feature=mhee#p/u/6/zdwViMUeoz0
Please take your time to visit this beth'. They are so, so helpful.

Good luck, Vince

mistymoo
08-02-12, 12:30
hi beth, you are not alone, please go back to your dr, he may change your meds, i understand the apprehension of changing your meds but you sound like your at an all time low, so changing meds you have nothing to lose, ive had depression and two breakdowns in 10 years so i empathise with you, once youve started your new meds you should try and occupy your mind with hobbies etc as the mind can play horrid tricks on you, i hope things improve for you, it just takes time, take care

beth3070
09-02-12, 23:58
gosh thank you for replying to me. i never done anything like this before, its so good to know there are others out there x
:blush:

beth3070
12-02-12, 01:58
ok So im still in the same place i was 4 days ago. this has now been a solid two weeks of continual depression. I have never felt this bad. I can't get dressed i can't function. No i will not do anything stupid but i honestly think i would be better off dead. I just can't move forward. i have tried to do small tasks but they leave me exhausted and worse than i was before. right now i am calm. its 2am and i can't sleep but I'm calm. Please tell me this is all to do with Sertralne not agreeing with me. i have been off it cold turkey for 4 days now. I dont feel any differnet to when i was on it a week ago, perhaps even more lethargic my whole body is slowing down. I have a pain high up in my stomach and my ears are ringing like I've been listening to loud music. I am supposed to start on citalopram in two days but i am petrified this wont work and jsut make me chemically worse. I've also been take Zopiclone to help me sleep bu think this may be making me worse. Am I ever going to get better, it does' t feel like it. help me

Pipkin
12-02-12, 02:10
Hi Beth,

Sorry you're feeling so bad still. I started taking Sertraline at the beginning of this year and I had a similar experience to you. I stopped taking it, on doctor's advice, but it took about 5 days for the heightened anxiety symptoms to subside.

I subsequently went back to the doctor who prescribed me venlafaxine (another AD) and beta blockers at the same time for a couple of weeks to help with he initial symptoms. Believe me when I say that your experience isn't uncommon, and I would really recommend that you go back to your doctor on Monday and explain your symptoms.

Take care and have faith that you will be feeling better soon.

Pip x

Carys
12-02-12, 08:01
Hey Beth,

It really sounds like the Sertraline is not suiting you, I think you will feel better after coming off it and changing meds (on the advice of the doctor and with their guidance). An increased in depressive thoughts with some meds. can be a really nasty and unwanted side-effect. Can I ask your age, if you don't mind ?

Ingenious
13-02-12, 00:59
Beth this is so sad to read, medications can be so very hard to get used to, and sadly it can be trial and error finding the right one for you. Try and hang in there and remember you might get side effects from Citalopram when you start it plus you're feeling rough from stopping the other one. In a few weeks from now you should feel a lot more stable. Be gentle on yourself - physically you must allow yourself some slack as your body is getting used to some major medications.

There are a HUGE number of people who do very well on Citalopram and many people who get few side effects. So don't assume the worst, it might be the best thing to happen for you.