PDA

View Full Version : what makes a good counsellor

suey
18-06-06, 15:43
Hi can some one tell me what make a good counsellor as i am looking for one and not sure who to go with.

Daisybun
18-06-06, 17:07
I have a friend who is a counsellor, she is very good. I only went with her as I knew her and i knew that she was good. I think personal recommendation is one way of finding a good counsellor. i saw someone last year who was not very good, and when our time was up just expected me to go even when they had opened up some difficult things and i was in a state. So i would definitely go by personal recommendation.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

clickaway
18-06-06, 18:53
I think an important factor is chemistry.

So even if you receive a recommendation, I would only book one session until you feel happy that the person is right for you.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

darkangel
18-06-06, 21:17
hi sue

ask about for recommendations - but the important thing for counselling to be of benefit to you is to be able to feel you have a good working relationship with that person. Try booking one session like Ray says and you will know if you click - it is vital you feel comfortable with them so you can open up and get the best out of the sessions.

darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

suey
19-06-06, 07:33
thanks for that everyone that is a great help

i've had counselling before and alway ended up with the wrong ones so my life did never get sorted out.

Now i'm sorted and training to be a counsellor as i feel it will benefit most people who needs it in today life.

suey:D