PDA

View Full Version : Extreme head pressure and lightheadedness...please help!

Farrah
08-02-12, 18:48
Hi there, I am new to the site but have found it comforting to know there are many others out there who are expriencing this constant dizziness/lightheadedness and head pressures. Its driving me mental! My problems and worries all started in October when I developed what I thought may be a urine infection. I was experiencing pain after urinating, only occasionally but most often in the mornings. The Dr gave me some antibiotics even though the sample I provided was clear of infection??? However it did seem to clear but only for a couple of weeks then gradually started to return. I do tend to wory a lot about my health and have fears of dying young and leaving my three very young children. And of course throughout these trips to the drs regarding my water works I have accumilated many many more symptoms, most probably due to the fact that iv not stopped worrying about what is happening down below. Iv had all the cancers such as cervical, ovarian, bladder, stomach etc etc.
I have been back to my Dr regarding the water works and he is sending me for a pelvic scan and to see a urologist although still awaiting an appointment.
Anyhow it was during a recent family break to centre parcs that I started to develop these dizzy spells. I did panic and rang my drs straight away. The receptionist managed to get the dr to give me a call and he kindly fitted me in very quickly. On the day we returned from our trip i went to see the dr. He ordered some blood tests to be taken for various illnesses such as anemia etc and also an ecg, however all of these tests came back clear. I did have an inclination that they would because nothing seems to be straight forward with me. He did say the dizzyness is one of the most common complaints seen by docors and very often they cant find a cause and people do go undiagnosed. He said it could be viral but this has gone on for three months now and iv just about had enough. My husband is just about sick to death but also concerned about my mental state. He is convinced that im making myself ill due to the constant worry. I do have numerous other symptoms such as nausea (more prominent in morning), Shooting head pains, head pressure which is awful, sore head (to touch), pelvic pain, lower back pain (not sure if these two symptoms are related to my initial issue with reagards to the water works), muscle and joint pains all over, painful periods, clicking joints, jaw clicking and occasional pain, tapping noises in right ear. The dizziness and head pressure is more or less with me throughout the entire day and has me worried sick. Iv now convinced myself that I have a tumour and im going to die!
I cant function normally anymore through fear of worrying. I have a lack of interest in my hobbies which I used to enjoy doing. I make excuses to meet up with friends and dont want to leave the house. Im constantly googling things on the web, attempting to diagnose myself. I do want to believe its all down to anxiety but like many others out there say 'its hard to beleive that all these terrible symptoms are just from anxiety alone. I am only 29 with three beautiful children who i love very much. I cant help but look at them and cry at times for fearing the worst, that I wont be there for them as they're growing up. I have had many crying episodes lately where my husband has had to comfort me and convince me that everything is ok. I do find that the evenings are my best time. Since I have been googling anxiety websites throughtout the day, by tea time my mind is a bit more at ease knowing that others are the same, however when I awake in the morning my worries and concerns all return quickly as I wake up feeling sick to the stomach. My symptoms do tend to ease off the busier I make myself around the house but swiftly return the moment I try to relax???
I must note that I havnt even been diagnosed with Anxiety yet but Im seeing my dr today along with my husband, he thinks im in need of medication but we'll see what she says.
I did go through a similar phase in 2004 when I convined myself I had HIV! Thinking back people must of thought I was barmy but at the time I truely believed it. I do have many of the symptoms I had back then other than this head pressure and lightheadedness, which is whats beleiving me to think its something more serious like a TUMOUR!

Does this sound like anyone out there?

You opinions will be appreciated.

Farrah

jag16
08-02-12, 19:23
hi there! there are a lot of members here who feel like what you're experiencing. And that includes me....My head pressure began in august 2011 after i had a cervical cancer scare....i worrried about it too much for a month until the day i had my colposcopy and only to learn from the gyne that i had a "very healthy cervix"....fes days after i got the head pressure that has been with me 24/7. It subsided though...almost gone after i learned that my brain CT turned out negative but when i quit my job and started worrying....the pressure's back again! I don't know if everything's just coincidence from the start (when i worried about my cervix). It's really hard not to think about it but hey, we shoukd think about our kids, that we have to be strong for them. My kids don't even know what im going through because i don't want them to develop anxiety too (like their mom). Have yourself checked, blood, scans, etc....and believe that you'll be fine. Try to read some self-help books.

countrygirl
08-02-12, 19:40
Most of your neck and head and ear symptoms could be due to severe tension in the neck muscles or jaw joint trouble (tmj). I have all of the symptoms you are describing in your head etc and they are due to a neck problem I have plus tmj. I am not saying you have a neck problem as such but any muscle tension in the neck can cause all these symptoms. Do you also get a banging feeling in your ear ilke your eardrum is twitching or sudden ringing in one ear but not other or any crawling tingling sensation in head or scalp??

ON the waterworks front a renal ultrasound will reassure you that nothing bad with kidneys etc and urologist may want to look in your bladder with camera as well which I have had and it nothing to worry about.

Trouble is that anxiety just makes any symptom worse and confuses the issue.
Due to my neck problem I get attacks of acute vertigo lasting a few mintues or longer spells of dizziness where I feel drunk and eveything is moving but not severe vertigo - any inbalance will cause an adrenal response in almost anyone and in us definitely and with me it shows itself druing dizzy spells as sudden need for a bowel movement and racing heart.

I understand perfectly how you feel. Have you got the point of not wanting to go out because of it??

miss sparkle
09-02-12, 07:38
hiya just wanted to share i also suffer with head pressure dizziness most of the day all day everyday!
i also have young kids, and i think it makes it worst because you worry for them too!
please let us know how you get on at the doctors :-)

Pipkin
09-02-12, 11:55
Farrah,

Sorry you're feeling so bad, I totally understand what you're going through.

I've had nearly all the symptoms you describe and it has taken me years to realise that they are caused by anxiety. It's just so hard to accept that your mind can make you feel so terribly ill because the symptoms are real. Even now, I start to worry my symptoms are of some serious disease and I can't help myself heading to Google and the next thing you know, I've diagnosed myself with some rare disease. If I'd had all the diseases I've diagnosed myself with over the years 1) I would have popped my clogs years ago and 2) I would be the unluckiest person alive.

Have a chat with your GP about how you feel. I'm never comfortable doing that but always feel better afterwards. Regarding medication, it's never the ultimate solution but it can help you to start to get better, alongside a lot of determination and possibly some form of therapy.

Take care and let us all know how you got on at the doctor's.

Pip

Farrah
09-02-12, 15:36
Hi there peeps.

Thanks to you all for your responses.

Ok the trip to the doc was dreadful. I felt as though she'd never seen a case like it. She looked at me as though i was weird and asked me 'so what is it you want me to do?' I was fuming and returned the question by saying 'i thought you'd know the answer to that.' I wont be returning to her. She did prescribe me with Citalopram 10mg and has asked me to visit her again in a months time to see how im getting on. However I think I shall be seeing someone else. I wanted her to put my mind at ease and she didnt. She didnt have a clue about anxiety I could tell. I asked her if anxiety could be causing all this head and face pressure and didnt get a direct answer. I think she thought I was potty.
I have to admit today has been my worst day. She has made me feel as though i'm going mad. I woke up this morning with terrible nausea, heart raceing. I have had extreme pressure in my head, not so much pain and have fell woozy/spacey. I just hate what is happening to me and fear I am loosing control. Im irritable and dont quite feel on the planet. I cant beleive I have worried myself that much to the point were ive made myself ill. I have spoke with my mum today on the phone and cried lots too. She advised me to get up and do something which I did and I feel much better than earlier but still the pressure is in my head!!! I am hoping I do not have many side effects from the medication as I cant cope with anything else. I am going away with my husband for two nights on sunday (valentines treat) but feel as though id rather be at home. Going to try and pull myself together tho and try and make the best of a break without the children. :)

avasnana
09-02-12, 15:46
Im sorry that your visit to the doctor was so awful, definately try and see a different doctor because their reassurance is what helps a great deal with anxiety and putting your mind at ease.

I know that it is difficult to do things cos of how you feel, but it definately does help to keep yourself occupied.

Hopefully the tablets will start to make you feel better, Im starting mine tomorrow night / saturday morning - cant yet decide whether to take them at night or in the morning.

Hope you enjoy your weekend, it sounds just like what you need..

Take care and keep us posted on how you are getting on :)

miss sparkle
09-02-12, 17:33
ah bless you.
doctors like that really annoy me. The first one i went to actually laughed at me, and said i was a worries and just bit run down. The second one didn't even look at me, just typed the prescription for both represents, it wasn't until i went again(2 days later) that she actually looked at my ears, took my blood pressure and recommended i had some blood tests done. i still get the impression she wasn't sure what to do with me, but at least feel im getting something done. i get that they are busy and that, but i thinkthey forget that we live 24hrs aday feeling Crap, and they are our only hope by the time we are sat opposite them.

Pipkin
09-02-12, 18:34
Farrah,

Sorry you had such a bad experience at the doc's - you were really unlucky. Try a different one next time you're there and hopefully they will be more understanding. I'm fortunate in that my GP understands although he is quite to the point and I often feel like I'm telling him what I want, not what he thinks is best.

The ADs will definitely help but they can make you feel worse at first - don't worry about that just be prepared and try not to panic if it happens. I didn't know that could happen and thought I was having an adverse reaction. Soon settles down.

Take care and keep posting

Pip x

Abarth
09-02-12, 21:22
Hi Farah
If it gives you any comfort I am going through exactly what you describe. I awake in the morning and as soon as my consciousness kicks in I tense up; arms and legs become leaden and the life seems to drain from me. Like you evenings are a little better, but little more than a temporary respite. Of course, I have prevoiusly suffered a multitude of incurable illnesses; in my head. I would say that I have had half a dozen episodes in my 43 years. Invariably I have come through it following the realisation that had my fears been realised, I would have long since suffered more serious complications. That doesn't prevent me from feeling the way I do right now and I can only say how sorry I am that you are suffering in a similar way. Few understand how it can paralyze you. I do have a good GP, although I do avoid going if I can. I've done the SSRI route several times, but I find them hard to get on to, although that is not to say they can't work for you, just be prepped for the odd weird sensation at first and dont let it panic you. Beta blockers definitely stop the adrenilin rushing around your body, but beyond that I have found that it is sometime easier to let the wave wash over you in the knowledge that you will surface feeling better. You are not alone with this and it will subside. You may also find that a really healthy diet and exercise regime makes a big difference. I truly wish you the best with it and keep the post up as to how you are feeling.