PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I've only got 1 chance to get useful therapy this year

rock chick
09-02-12, 02:27
In Australia you can get a 6 or 12 session plan free under medicare, I'm going tomorrow to get a referral to one from my GP (that's worrying me too because even though they know I have panic and anxiety issues I haven't spoke to them about it before much). It's difficult because I need to sort of choose one that bulks bills via this system beforehand but it's still a rather limited amount of sessions allowed per year. I really don't have the money to go private so that's not an option.

My concern and maybe I'm just going on my previous lack of enough success in the past with therapy is that I wont get the right type and then I'll wont have another chance till next year. I feel it's a bit stupid to be worrying about such a thing but I'm doing it because I feel I need something, I like the idea of CBT but I doubt I'll be able to someone who does it enough who would either offer me the service or I'd be waiting so long I'd get worse!

Maybe I'm just posting this to vent, I almost feel a bit trapped by the system. The only way to get a more permanent free therapy would be if I was much worse, you probably know how that works. I guess this has made my feel more stressed than before because I had lots of therapy as a teenager but the system works differently for youths. Can I ask, what type of therapy do most psychologists offer these days as the norm (I know countries vary but isn't there a trend in general?)? Do many have some experience with CBT and similar methods rather than merely wanting to talk about my problems and past, that's not the way for me as I have been through that stuff before and I feel I need someone who uses a more proactive approach.

theharvestmouse
10-02-12, 13:44
When I did CBT I had 6 sessions, I found it useful because I had a really good therapist who I felt very comfortable with, it made it much easier. She would discuss my problems and my reactions to daily events. THen she would push me to do things, so the emphasis was on me to go out there and try to put into practice what she had told me and to use the relaxation techniques she had told me about.

Since the CBT I have made progress, but I am also taking Citalopram, so I think this also makes a difference.

Go to your GP with an open mind, because CBT may work for you.

rock chick
11-02-12, 04:17
I got the referral to a female who does a bit of CBT but it's not her specialty, I get 10 free sessions a year so I will at least see her on Monday and see how it works out. I chose her because she was recommended as being good with patients with anxiety and depression.