PDA

View Full Version : citalopram

kestral
09-02-12, 08:37
i am wondering how long withdrawal symptoms go on for. i have been on a depression tablet for maybe 30 years and recently the gp has been suggesting, due to the low dosage, i would probably be ok without them. i have been on this medication because i suffer from health anxiety and associated panic attacks. i decided to start the new year by stopping taking them and have been doing ok, although i have experienced what i call head zaps" and the odd panicky feelings. in the last few days ive had a very bad tummy and cramps of my body so as usual i hit the panic button and started to imagine all sorts of things. has anybody any experiences of the length of time for the citalopram to clear the system.

. please reply, alan.

pinkdove
09-02-12, 12:03
Hi alan, sorry you are feeling so bad, but you really should have reduced the cit slowly, to minimise any withdrawal symptoms, and you have been on them a long time.

i reduced only 5mg at a time for about four weeks or so, and suffered little side effects, i would have a word with your gp, and tell them how bad you are feeling, you do not have to go through this, it is very unpleasant and should be done very gradually. hope this helps, and good luck xx

kestral
11-02-12, 20:33
is there really so few people on here who have had any experience with this type of meds?

bignik
11-02-12, 20:38
any long term medication in my opinion should be weaned off of slowly , remember although small amount , your body has been used to it being in your system for some time and the human body at times doesnt like adverse changes to what it has been used to

pinkdove
11-02-12, 20:38
kestral it can be quite quiet here at weekends, i'm sure you will get lots of replies, just give it time, hope you are feeling a bit better. citalopram has a half life of 36 hours, so coming out of your system after 72 hours, the withdrawal effects really depend on how long you have been on them, and how slowly you reduce. sorry i can't be more help x

swanlinnet
11-02-12, 21:27
Hiya Alan

Symptoms of withdrawal should leave once the entire remnants of the drug are flushed from the organs/bloodstream.

Now anxiety/depression may well have to be kept in check lifelong. In other words, understanding just what it is in life that precipitates depression/anxiety may be a lifelong enterprise.

That doesn't mean we suffer lifelong !!!

What it means is life is a life long enterprise. And if we ourselves have a special strength, or weakness, then we will carry this with us throughout our life.

Hope this helps,

Vince:)

oneofus
12-02-12, 13:52
Scientific advice, and common sense if you think it through, says that the shorter the half life the longer the weaning off period. Citalopram has a half life of 36 hours so if you cold turkey the efficacy of the drug will drop like a stone, so you're much better off lowering the does slowly. It's not just the case of flushing the drug out of your system. If you had a broken leg you wouldn't just remove the cast and run a marathon would you.

one of us

Sideboard
12-02-12, 16:37
Hi Alan, like others have said if you did stop all at once that won't be helping any symptoms you are getting, having said that I did the tapering off very slowly method and still got the brain zaps and an over-energetic digestive system :ohmy: it's to do with the change in seratonin in your body now the citalopram isn't there helping to regulate it. It's hard but I really would try not to worry about it, just another side effect.

kestral
13-02-12, 09:37
many thanks to you all, your comments have been a great support to me and makes me realise what a comfort this website can give.
alan