PDA

View Full Version : My anxiety nightmare at the moment with toilet issues

phil06
09-02-12, 14:24
I had another bad night with only 2 or 3 hours sleep. I woke up at 6am and had terrible diarrhea and I was scared to sit down incase any was still there and I was fearing any water splashes from the toilet. So I went to bed anxious paranoid the smell was still there. Before I went to bed I was googling urinary tract infections and got into a terrible state of anxiety. Today I'm anxious my bed covers or clothes have any odors on them even if they don't but the fear remains.

I've had the odd day where I have been and went again as I felt a tiny drop was there so that made me google even if it was an anxiety symptom. Then I found all the complications of UTI and panicked too.

Right now I'd say maybe half of my anxiety is focused on bowel/bladder worries. I fear not being clean from OCD, constant worry fears of incontinence, fears I have some serious illness, can't accept it may be IBS. A few things which may not be helping is my meal times and sleep times are irregular. Sometimes I eat a breakfast and a lunch/dinner all in 4 - 6 hours as I sleep on until 1.30pm some days.

There's been no diarrhea since last night but terrible cramping, gas, wind feelings like I need but don't and I'm quite tense. I find it very hard to distract and I really refuse to accept anxiety can affect the toilet things in this way. Instead of getting a panic attack when I'm out I usually suffer a very bad bowel worry or urge to go. I can't stop thinking about it and relax..has anybody else become anxious in this kind of way and is there some way to stop this worry? For 2 years almost I've been plagued by this. I feel this depressing nightmare will never end. :lac:

Lost_L
09-02-12, 15:00
Hi Phil,

I can sympathise with this as I believe my anxiety started with IBS. I was worried to go out incase there was no toilet or I couldn't get to one when I needed too. This then in time has developed in to bad anxiety and agorophobia. It also, I think, made me develop a further fear of fainting when I was out. I would starve myself if I knew I had to go somewhere so there was nothing in me to trigger the IBS symptoms, this then caused fainting or dizzy spells on a couple of occasions which stuck with me (I now suffer predominantly with 'dizzy symptoms' in attacks.)

I understand that what you are describing is a bit different to what I feel but it starts in a similar way, you're not alone! Also, I know that you say that you find it hard to believe that anxiety can cause stomach troubles like this but it really can. When I think back to when I was first diagnosed (it was so much more manageable and I hadn't developed all these fears and problems) I would always have stomach upsets when I was nervous for an exam etc. These nerves and constant anxiety can sadly do this! Now I have problems almost everyday, most definitely when I consider the idea of going out. I think that I am going to be getting further tests but I've had these before. I know that it's just IBS, I do worry it could be something more but I've just started seeing a new GP and she's just being cautious.

If you have any questions about my experiences that may make you feel better I'll try to help!

snowgoose
09-02-12, 15:47
Hi Phil

feel for you with this worry . I dont have any experience to offer but thought this link may help for going out to shops etc and no public loos handy .

http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/resources/toilet-card.asp

It may help with confidence to go out and know that you can get to loo quickly if you need to .
hope that this improves for you :hugs:

Sarah755
09-02-12, 16:31
Hi Phil,
I have exactly the same problem and it's a misery.

I wont go anywhere if I think I wont have access to a loo. Worrying about having access to a loo just makes it worse.

I try to plan if i'm going anywhere unfamiliar (which is seldom, only when I have no choice), I look up where the public toilets are, where the disabled toilets are and I have a card (I think from the gut trust) and a radar key. They are my armour :D I feel better knowing I have them.

My sympathies, it's a real pain.

phil06
09-02-12, 16:35
Hi Phil

feel for you with this worry . I dont have any experience to offer but thought this link may help for going out to shops etc and no public loos handy .

http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/resources/toilet-card.asp

It may help with confidence to go out and know that you can get to loo quickly if you need to .
hope that this improves for you :hugs:

Thanks. I had a spell of agoraphobia where I'd actually stay in because I feared there being no toilet. I finally accepted there was some toilets and started going out. I'd usually get the anxiety on the bus and by the time I was in the town I'd not actually use the loo.

When these attacks come I get super anxious. Generally I go out and try and ignore the symptoms but sometimes after it I think well I had a good time at the cinema (expect that horrible gas feeling like I had to go)..generally this is my day at the moment..I do get some good days but I feel so isolated and alone in these symptoms. Sometimes healthier food eases it or relaxation but it's very hard to be good every day and not have a curry. I think I anticipate some bowel trouble after a curry now so I actually go on the night rather than the day after.

I suffered panic attacks for years but now I rarely get them so this symptom to me feels just as bad as them as it's a physical thing.

Another thing is when I get these symptoms it's hard not to worry I have a bug, illness, something wrong I mean diarrhea can be anything so basically one day I'd health anxiety worry about a illness next day it would be food poisoning and under/over cooked food.

Sometimes the day I sit on a seat can make me need aswell. I also blame breakfast cereals and curry. I discovered one time at work having some mints made my normal bowel day go to a day full of gas.

I'm in a pickle my head is worrying what food I can eat/not eat, hygiene, going too much the inconvenience when out, health worries..I really feel this is my life these terrible toilet issues. :doh:

Sarah755
09-02-12, 16:52
It can be really confusing with IBS to be fair because everything that is supposed to be healthy seems to cause problems. Fruit and veg, too much and i'm running for the loo.

Personally I also avoid caffiene, anything that contains aspartame, any kind of sweeteners, diet drinks (BAD!), "sugar free" is also a flashing sign. Potato really doesn't agree with me too, lord knows why.

I had some mint capsules from holland and barrett, enteric coated I think they have to be so they dissolve in the right place. I had some meds for it too but they dont work at all.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Re the mints, were they sugar free? If so avoid avoid, they would have that effect for definate.

theharvestmouse
09-02-12, 16:52
Not sure what to advise but I think plenty of fibre is important.