PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam for dentist? Help!

Monostich
09-02-12, 15:55
I've got a dentist appointment tomorrow afternoon, I'm due to have 2 fillings. At the moment, I'm experiencing terrible panic attacks and the mere thought of just sitting in the dentist waiting room is making me physically shake.

Is it worth visiting the doctor in the morning to find out if he'll prescribe me diazepam for the visit? Or are they reluctant to prescribe benzos for this type of thing?

Forgot to say, I've been prescribed Mirtazapine since April 2011. Is it ok to take both drugs?

nicola1980
09-02-12, 16:09
Id defo see your doctor as diazepam will help calm you down, my cousins dentist actually prescribed her some prior to her having some treatment as she has a big phobia about dentists, good luck x x

Monostich
09-02-12, 16:18
Thanks Nicola :)

I hope I get one of the more understanding GPs in my practice as there will be only one chance to try and get some tomorrow.

Absolutely dreading it all to be honest.

pinkdove
09-02-12, 19:15
Hi my dentist prescribed it to me , as i am terrified of going....good luck xx

Monostich
09-02-12, 19:25
I don't know how to approach the doctor though - they don't like it when someone goes into office literally asking for a certain drug, do they?

I'm so anxious about tomorrow, it's unbelievable.

haz
10-02-12, 00:40
I have to have dental treatment done under "conscious sedation". They basically put a canula in your hand and inject a drug called midazolam into it. You wear a finger pulse/heartrate checker throughout the treatment. You have to be accommpanied by an adult.

Midazolam sedates you and causes short term memory loss. Some people wake up in their bed hours later and can't remember leaving the dentist. Me -I need horse tranqulisers to knock me out so I've always rememberd leaving the dentists. I usually go to bed for a few hours after and wake up feeling fine, bit drowsy, but the next morning I'm right as rain.

Last time I was on so many meds I wasn't sure it would work. Remembered the whole procedure and the conversation with the dentist but I was still sedated enough to have the treatment done (two fillings!).

Overdue a check-up, will make an appointment soon.

P.S. Had a general anaesthetic once for three fillings but I much prefer the "conscious sedation" although I really would MUCH prefer to be able to have the work done without either! :)

Monostich
10-02-12, 10:09
Doctor has given me 3 x 2mg of Diazepam.

This will take the edge of today I hope :)

Carys
10-02-12, 10:24
Good luck today, I was sure they would give you something to take the edge off things for this dental visit. I am currently doing a dental visit a week at the moment, had a wisdom extraction this week, and can honestly say that I can empathise with your extreme anxiety.:weep:

nicola1980
10-02-12, 10:39
Good luck, glad you got some they certainly will help x x

Monostich
10-02-12, 10:52
Thanks everyone :)

brit
11-02-12, 13:11
How did you get on?

I have to book an appointment asap, i'm fairly sure i will need a tooth pulled and to be quite honest i'm bricking it!