PDA

View Full Version : have I caused damage with prodding of throat?

Sazziesaz
09-02-12, 19:10
Hi, I have been quite good lately with my HA but it seems to have come back with a vengance! My whole family have had a horrid throat virus which was very sore throat, horrid racking cough and tiredness. We are still going through it but I have got obsessed with my throat and glands and spent the last two days prodding my glands and adams apple area as have loads of swollen lumps in there!

My sensible head says it is my glands fighting an infection, but I was unwell with a cold a month ago and noticed lumps in my throat/neck. Have had two doctors check them and they said my lymph nodes/glands slightly enlarged but they were not worried.

Now if feels as though I have something stuck in the front of my throat and I am scared I have damaged myself with all my prodding!! I am really trying to stop touching but keep pressing to see if my neck is swelling up! When I cough the lumps go huge! My children have an awful throat and and dealing with it, I am an adult and and in stupid panic mode!

I have prodded so much today that it now feels uncomfortable when I swallow! I know who silly I sound :(

Sarah x

Danii
10-02-12, 04:23
sounds like a horrible side effect of anxiety. i get that lump and difficulty swallowing, and i have been poking at my neck and feeling it everyday for 3 months. i actually went to my dr and asked if i could have accidentally caused something to go wrong in my throat, if thats why i felt the lump. he told me #1 it takes a lot of force to hurt something in your throat, #2 if i did i would be in horrible pain, and #3 globus hystericus. that annoying lump all of us anxious people get for no good reason other than tense muscles.

*clare*
10-02-12, 04:57
I use to get pains where my glands are from prodding. Sometimes i think it was from checking my pulse in my neck so much. HA is awful and makes us do crazy stuff. It's a constant battle with our rational and irational mind. It sounds most definitely like anxiety though. x

Sazziesaz
10-02-12, 09:21
Thanks for your replies! Have been really stressing about this, cant believe this constant prodding has occured! It sneaked up before I realised I was constantly doing it!

My neck on the right feels as thought there is a lump when I am only just sitting here, can feel it when I swallow and when I move my neck, so then I prod to realise it isn't much different to the other side, so then I check the other side, it is a constant vicious circle. I know I am in the middle of a throat virus so I know how irrational I am being. I really annoy myself and bore myself!!

I am going to make a consious effort to stop prodding today and see if that helps, maybe I need to tie my hands up LOL!

HA is horrid I am so fed up with having every disease under the sun, sometimes, two or three fatal ones in a day! It is exhausting, but I have to say I didn't see the glands bit creeping up on me!! I am convinced I have throat cancer or something! Pathetic I know!

Right I will now sit on my hands and have positive thoughts........on the other hand I had better get the children their breakfast......