PDA

View Full Version : Omeprazole and blood tests

LeStrawb
10-02-12, 10:50
Hi all

I've recently been suffering with intense anxiety, alongside acid reflux that has been like nothing I have ever experienced. Was prescribed Omeprazole around four weeks ago, and a couple of weeks ago had the prescription increased from 20 mg to 40 mg daily. This week I've had blood tests, all the standard ones, and they've all come back normal apart from liver function. Dr says it's not a hugely abnormal result but he does need to investigate further and I'm about to make an appointment for an ultrasound of my liver. Dr said it is as much for my reassurance as anything too as he knows I'm an anxiety sufferer; and he's not expecting to find anything.

Now somewhere along the way over the last few weeks, while reading everything there is to read about gerd, acid reflux, Omeprazole etc (I know I should stop Dr Googling) I seem to recall that Omeprazole can affect liver function tests... in fact, while on the way to the Dr yesterday as I was called in to discuss blood results - and I then knew something was wrong - I even said to my companion that I wondered if it was liver function and Omeprazole.

However, now I'm doubting my recollection and hence panicking. I don't want to Dr Google again as that won't help me right now.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Horse
10-02-12, 12:46
I recall last year my liver tests results were not right and had to have a retest which then came back normal. Apparently, the liver can go up and down so you may find that the next investigation could be normal. I am also on Omeprazole and 20mg doesn't appear to do much and therefore occasionally pop another 20mg now and again.

melvin
10-02-12, 17:35
hi im allso on omerprazole 40mg and same as they say different readings all the time