PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia??!

jazzy14
10-02-12, 13:59
Okay so I've been on my citalopram for 6 weeks now, but have only been on the 40 mg for a little under two.....I'm taking 50mg trazadone at night to help me sleep, and I've been on that for like a month. Well, there have been a few nights where I have tried not to take it, because I dislike being on so many meds right now. Whenever I do, I just get tense inside, which makes me more nervous and sweaty. I tried it last night and could not stay asleep :lac:so I ended up taking the pill. Does ANYONE out there have experience with this? I just need some tips as to what I could do to relax myself. I know that my body is fighting relaxing because it knows that I'm purposely trying to go to sleep on my own. I ordered a CD yesterday that someone recommended on here, I'm excited to give that a try :) How will I know when the citalopram is kicking in and I'm ready to tackle this insomnia thing on my own? I'm ready to beat it!!!

Sit2Know
10-02-12, 14:54
When you stop the med you are getting typical withdrawal which is a worsening of the reasons you took it for. It took me 16 months for the withdrawal to stop after quitting a TCA for sleep

Wuboo
11-02-12, 22:48
I get insomnia too but don't think about it, try to put it out of your mind. I was thinking about it when I went to bed which meant it was playing on my mind and therefore would take longer to get off to sleep or I wouldn't sleep at all.

One thing to try is drinking a class of milk (about half a pint) and eat a banana before bed, around an hour or so before hand is good. I found that if I didn't eat/drink a banana and milk it would have a restless sleep and when I did eat and drink it I seemed to have a much better nights sleep, not perfect but at least I was getting to sleep.

Give it ago and see if it helps. If it makes any difference I drink full fat milk.

jazzy14
12-02-12, 21:25
Thank you for the tips! I will try drinking warm milk and eating a banana tonight :) I'm also going to try and key myself down about an hour before bed. I seem to get out of my typical routine on the weekends.

martintlane
13-02-12, 06:15
Hi there are natural anxiety treatments that can help you sleep try Kava or Valerian they are both quite good for insomnia

Connor_cbt
13-02-12, 08:59
Have you tried exercising early in the evening? I found myself sitting on the computer or watching tv in bed then trying to go to sleep. It's a bit like when you're getting a child into a sleep routine, you need to give your body/mind cues. A little exercise can be really good followed by a relaxing soak or shower then try reading (something light or interesting, not an action/thriller/horror book) no caffeine after 5pm either! It amazes me how many people I've heard say "I have terrible trouble sleeping" to find they have had about fifteen cups of coffee/tea/coke through the day up until about 20 minutes before bedtime lol meditation can be great (really you're not supposed to get sleepy but it's easy enough to do lol) if that's something that interests you. Insomnia has gotten quite common because we are all busy and try to cram in as much as we can every day, 24 hour tv and the Internet and smart phones we can use in bed are major culprits! But if you. An find a routine at night that removes these stimulants and includes relaxing habits instead I'm sure you'll see a big improvement.

dabrucru
13-02-12, 15:53
Have you tried exercising early in the evening? I found myself sitting on the computer or watching tv in bed then trying to go to sleep. It's a bit like when you're getting a child into a sleep routine, you need to give your body/mind cues. A little exercise can be really good followed by a relaxing soak or shower then try reading (something light or interesting, not an action/thriller/horror book) no caffeine after 5pm either! It amazes me how many people I've heard say "I have terrible trouble sleeping" to find they have had about fifteen cups of coffee/tea/coke through the day up until about 20 minutes before bedtime lol meditation can be great (really you're not supposed to get sleepy but it's easy enough to do lol) if that's something that interests you. Insomnia has gotten quite common because we are all busy and try to cram in as much as we can every day, 24 hour tv and the Internet and smart phones we can use in bed are major culprits! But if you. An find a routine at night that removes these stimulants and includes relaxing habits instead I'm sure you'll see a big improvement.

so true , connor, soooooo true