PDA

View Full Version : ringing in ears, anxiety?

maxi87
10-02-12, 15:30
Does anyone here suffer from this symptom as well?

Its some sort of low "humm" sound, very similar to the sound of a seashell when you hold it next to your ear. Sometimes i hear it in both ears, sometimes just in one and sometimes i don't hear it at all.

I have many anxiety symptoms but this one started about a year ago and is really freaking me out lately.

xtremx
10-02-12, 15:34
Yeah, my ears are ringing right now. It's a low pitch whistle for me seems to change from one ear to the other.

My doctor told me just to deal with it as nothing they can do.

maxi87
10-02-12, 15:42
yup, exactly what i have right now. been to the doctor, done hearing test and some other test, both came back fine. Then i was told its just another anxiety symptom that will go away when i relax... oh well...

Abarth
10-02-12, 15:47
Hi there, sorry your suffering with this. Sounds like classic tinitus. It can either take on a high pitched hiss or a low thrumbing sound. It is a condition that is invariably heightened by stress; both because your mind will fixate on it and also because anxiety cause tension in the neck muscles that makes it worse. I have quite intrusive tinitus, mainly through ear problems as a kid and subsequently not using ear plugs on my motorcycle! I'm going through an anxiety episode at the moment and the tinitus seems really loud and of course one immediately starts thinking its something more sinister, when it isn't. If you visit your GP, they can refer you to have your hearing checked and ears for a middle/inner ear infection, but you may well find that you will gradually notice it less. GPs tend to be fairly well genned up on this, so it may be worth a visit to satisfy yourself, they can also prescribe certain meds that can calm the symptoms, but you are unlikely to need that. They will also check your blood pressure etc to rule out hypertension. You will probably find it is worse with a cold as your tubes clog up. Any which way, it is unlikely to be too traumatic.
Wish you all the best, try to relax a little and I bet it will ease, but dont be afraid to check with your docs if you are really worried or as an alternative to googling a false diagnosis (something we are all guilty of!!).

xtremx
10-02-12, 15:47
Yeah my doctor looked at my ears and told me that all is well, Just would be good to find out what is causing it.

Mine were whistling constant for 2 days a few days ago was driving me crazy.

Try listerning to music with headphones (not to loud seems to offer some comfort).

all the best

Abarth
10-02-12, 15:53
I have an iphone app, sleepmaker storms, which really hides the noise at low volume and is really relaxing, esp at night. Music is ok, but bear in mind that whilst loud music will conceal the noise, it will be worse when you switch the music off, so low volume. Good luck peeps!

maxi87
10-02-12, 23:08
I checked my blood pressure many times before, even did a stress test.. and everything is fine. I'm only 25, and in good shape, but anxiety is THE problem. I have many physical symptoms, some of them are constant for days with brief pauses from time to time. I guess the ringing ears is just another symptom...

needhelp1
16-04-12, 19:04
i do feel the same way after my panic attack...low ringing sound in my ear...

MrRedShirt
16-04-12, 19:08
I have tinnitus, it started a couple of months after I first had panic attacks last summer.

It gets worse when I feel more anxious and seems a lot more intrusive then.

While there isn't anything the doctors can do to directly reduce the sounds, there are treatments to help people 'habituate' to the sounds, the aim of which is to help the brain push the sounds to the background of their perception. This 'Tinnitus Retraining Therapy' is, depending on where you live, available on the NHS for people with persistent, instrusive tinnitus and can take up to a year or more.