PDA

View Full Version : i dont know how to cope with a relapse

Ls730
10-02-12, 15:43
Hello, my name is lisa.

Two years ago i had a episode of depression that resulted me taking 6 months off work. It was the scariest time of my life, i couldnt sleep or stop crying all the time. I would get waves and wave of panic and couldnt function in everyday life. I have got my life on track by going back to college and recieving distinctions in my course which allowed me to start my degree last year in biomedical sciences. Me and my partner of 7 years have moved into our own home and life seemed very good. Last week the old symtoms seemed to reservice i cant stop crying and keep getting feeling of panic. The doctors said they cant help as i am already on 20mg of citalopram and they wont increase this.

I cant take time off uni or work or i will loose my degree and wouldnt be able to afford the rent if i miss work, i dont know what to do, i have registered with councilling but the waiting list is long and it is not a quick fix. Can anyone give me any advice?

x

diane07
10-02-12, 15:45
Hi Ls730

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Kendra
10-02-12, 15:59
Hi Lisa,

I had a relapse after nearly 11 years of being panic and depression free. It hits you hard and fast.

I'm not currently on any meds. I'm trying to do it on my own with vit B and magnesium and it seems to be working so far.

I have been on work 5 weeks this time round but was like you previously and off a long time.

I'm back to work Wednesday so hopefully I can get myself back in a routine.

Try to relax and not panic to much (hard I know) but you have done it once and you will do it again.

This site is brilliant loads of advice and help.

Take care

Kendra x

swanlinnet
10-02-12, 16:15
Hello Lisa

Hope you soon pick up.

If you are worried about University it may help if you already beleive you could put your trust in one of your tutors.

When I was at University most of the tutors I didn't have much in common with, although I can't say I had any animosity towards them either. However, I did get along with one. He was a good bloke and, for some reason I knew he was an alright guy.

If you think there is even one tutor who you would benefit from by talking then this would, in my experience, help take so much pressure off you. For example, tutors can defer essays and allow you to miss lectures. Just talking to one who you think you could trust should help you so much.

Also, it may be you have encountered at University a lot of course material that is boring and hard to get your head around. This is so, so, common. And so please don't be too hard on yourself, Lisa, by thinking it's only you who is struggling if, that is, you have found the course is a little bewildering. Heaven knows how I put up with half of the stuff we had to study:)

Also; you would be surprised how a little rest and perhaps new medication will help. It's just when we are in the pit of despair we feel like it's forever. That is the illusion so characteristic of depression. It does lift.

There are some excellent recordings about how you can find freedom from depression. They were made by a lady doctor called Claire Weeks.

Lots of people on this site have found her to be so helpful. Here is were you can listen to some of them. Click the following link :-

http://www.youtube.com/user/swanlinnet?feature=mhee#p/u/6/zdwViMUeoz0

Good luck, Vince:)

oneofus
10-02-12, 16:46
Lisa,

Sounds like youve done well on your course so far, well done.

The depression might lift of its own accord, but if not then if councilling is a long wait then you might try some of the online cbt based online courses such as Beating The Blues or even just joining in with the community here.

One of us

philsanxious
12-02-12, 07:43
Hi Lisa,
I'd love to have some pithy advice or magic cure. You're struggling and can't see a way out, and have major commitments. But you're obviously very bright and in a loving relationship. Try to draw strength from that, maybe? I'm not an expert, but "catastrophising" seems to be an issue regarding your degree and rent. That's understandable, and if I knew the "quick fix" I'd be doing it myself. But there are answers, I'm told, and it sounds like you're on the way to finding them out. As far as a quicker way into CBT, have you looked at Living Life To The Full?
Good luck.

LAURA48
12-02-12, 11:39
Hi Lisa - sorry you are feeling like this - going through the same sort of thing at the moment after 15 years! Out of curiosity why won't they increase your meds, eg, 30mg Citalopram - if may make all the difference? Just a thought or see a different doctor in the practice. Hope you soon get back on track. Laura x:)