PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Botox Injections

stuart39
11-02-12, 11:23
I am posting here as I cant see where else to post this type of thread....hope thats OK mods or move the thread to the correct sub-forum.

Hopefully somebody can offer some advice on my problem.

For about 5 years ive been having problems going to the loo for a wee far too frequently and when i do go i dont pass very much. this can be 20 times a day and 5 times a night not to mention the personal hygiene side effects of dribbling etc. I am 43 and male, dont drink or smoke, fairly fit and healthy. My prostate is not enlarged nor do i have any infections.
blood and urine tests all normal.

I have a constant (day and night) none-painful but highly irritating abdomen pressure (I guess like an urge to pee type pressure and its always there so you always feel like you could pass water but cant) right over the bladder area.
I have tried blockers to relax the bladder muscles, laid off caffeine for months (no joy), i have had uro-dynamics tests (the bladder can hold 500-600ml easy when full), cystoscopies/biopsies, bladder stretches and last Monday I had a test does of 250ml of botox injected into the bladder wall in 10 different places. The full dose of 500ml can sometimes lead to not being able to go at all and having to self-catheterise so I opted for the test dose initially. glad i did.

So after returning home Monday lunchtime all was well, I had the usual stinging upon urinating with only a bit of blood staining from the op) which is to be expected but I was peeing for the olympic gold for the first time in ages! i could stand at the toilet and feel like it was a good minute of voiding whereas before i could be a minute or less but pass a few teaspoons and have to give up and come back later. well i thought this might be working.

i was probably going about every hour or maybe 2hrs (before it might be every 10-15 or 20 minutes unless i was heavily distracted) and the stream/flow was really pretty good compared to before. Then last Thursday (after 3 days) I noticed that I couldnt pee easily after taking a no.2 on the toilet. I stood up to pee and had to push hard to squeeze it out. this wouldnt be so bad if it got me started but i had to keep relaxing then pushing to squeeze a bit out at a time and we are talking about tiny amounts like before. its so frustrating. i almost wonder if i would feel better and empty if i did use a catheter???

I see my consultant again later this month as the follow up to the procedure and whilst i will explain all this to him I am worried he might try and fob me off and say oh well we tried that and it didnt work and we cant do anything else for you.

has anyone else had similar problems or had the botox procedure? did it work? how long was it before it began to work? any side effects? what dose did you have injected? how often do you now go to the loo?

i do recall that my consultant said there was a slight tightness around the neck of the urethra but this was stretched during one of 3 cystoscopies i have had (camera up the water pipe). that was a year ago and doesnt explain the problem if earlier this week i was able to void completely, at length and easily without any pain (althought I still had some pressure on the abdomen-maybe I havent allowed that enough time to settle yet).

any info would be much appreciated or somebody to bounce the experience off. this really interferes with daily life.