PDA

View Full Version : How to cope with a massive attack now?

Bren64
12-02-12, 09:44
Im sorry my first real post is a cry for help but I really need somebody to say something thats going to stop this escalating.

I havent been great for a few weeks, wobbly inside, fast heartbeat off and on, being woken up with the rapid heartbeat and dread ect ect, but Ive coped and plodded on convincing myself it will go away.

I went out last night with my lovely partner and had quite a bit to drink, normally Im ok, but I did drink a bit more than usual (and the mixer wouldve been diet coke, which I avoid for the caffine) I wasnt drunk but had a very late night and woke up with this fierce attack a couple of hours later.

Ive been awake since 4am, racing heart, tightness across the chest, all the usual stuff. My 6yr old is running around and I have this tremendous fear that Im gonna die NOW while she needs me. Its all escalating and I cant even drink water which usually helps me. I keep looking at her and bursting into tears, which is scaring her .

Anybody know anything I can try to pull myself together,

Seriously shaking like crazy here.

bren:weep:

joy
12-02-12, 09:48
I would ring NHS direct o8454647 or ring your gps no and they will give you the number or the out of hours doctors

Joy

Bren64
12-02-12, 10:09
Thanks Joy, I really dont want to go to the walk in centre or A&E , the reasonable part of my head is telling me, youve had this before this time will pass.
I am here alone with my dd and the last thing I want is to drag her off to casualty and frighten her even more. Shes watching tv now and is ok.

Ive just re-read through the article on the first page re-panic attacks and what to do if your having one now.
Im just gonna keep re-reading it until something sinks in.

Im pretty sure its the caffine/alchohol/lack of sleep thats kicked it off big time rather than anything physical.

I have valium here that was prescribed a year or so ago, I only ever took one as I found other ways to cope, but I may just resort to taking one if I cant make this ease off.

Thanks for letting me know theres someone out there.

joy
12-02-12, 12:25
the nhs direct will only talk to you on the phone, and the out of hours will visit if you make a good enought case

joy

Pipkin
12-02-12, 13:04
Bren,

Alcohol sometimes triggers my anxiety too. I think you're taking a sensible approach and it will pass. Try to get and and go for a walk, or at least do something to try to take your mind off it.

Take care

Pip x

oneofus
12-02-12, 13:41
There's always the Samaritans if you just need to talk to someone. They're not just there for life or death cases, and just talking to someone may help.

one of us

anx mum
12-02-12, 15:00
Im sorry my first real post is a cry for help but I really need somebody to say something thats going to stop this escalating.

I havent been great for a few weeks, wobbly inside, fast heartbeat off and on, being woken up with the rapid heartbeat and dread ect ect, but Ive coped and plodded on convincing myself it will go away.

I went out last night with my lovely partner and had quite a bit to drink, normally Im ok, but I did drink a bit more than usual (and the mixer wouldve been diet coke, which I avoid for the caffine) I wasnt drunk but had a very late night and woke up with this fierce attack a couple of hours later.

Ive been awake since 4am, racing heart, tightness across the chest, all the usual stuff. My 6yr old is running around and I have this tremendous fear that Im gonna die NOW while she needs me. Its all escalating and I cant even drink water which usually helps me. I keep looking at her and bursting into tears, which is scaring her .

Anybody know anything I can try to pull myself together,

Seriously shaking like crazy here.

bren:weep:

Know its hard hun but try and distrate yourself play a game with your daughter and hopefully you should start to calm down ive been there myself its easier said then done when you think your gonna die no harm will come to you :hugs:

Carrera74
12-02-12, 15:28
Yep sounds like horrible hangover induced anxiety. I woke up this morning with it too! I never learn lol. Try and get some water down you and eat something really stodgy. I completely avoid caffeine as it really plays havoc with my sensitive system. Try not to worry and keep reading the symptoms information on here. It will pass. Just remember to breathe and try to distract yourself x

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Just wanted to add that if you have been feeling this way for a few weeks maybe it would be a good idea to get yourself some multivitamins as you may just be a bit run down and extra sensitive at the moment x

unicron
16-02-12, 17:10
So, what happened to you in the end?
Right.

If it was just a panic attack then you didn't need anyone, not a GP, certainly not an out-of-hours GP, and you didn't need to be bothering the Samaritans.

Sounds harsh, but you really just need to march right through it. Get yourself a paper bag and use it to breath into if you need.
11-7 breathing, splash your face with water, divert, and that will re-align you quickly.

Or, go with the panic attack and see how bad it can get, make yourself feint, make yourself really bad, and see how it doesn't do anything dangerous.

Basics, you probably all know them, but worth reminding yourselves.