PDA

View Full Version : questions on propanolol

phantomfreakout
12-02-12, 19:25
Hi there!
i have just started on propanolol on thursday and am on 20mg 3 times a day. I weigh about 50kgs so is this the right dose? didn't see my usual GP when i went and got them. also i don't really feel a lot of difference, i think there has been a slight reduction of palpitations but only minor.

i read on the leaflet it said to tell your GP if you smoke, guilty as charged. could my smoking be a reason why i haven't felt full effects of this med or is it down to the dose?

i am also taking 15mg of mirtazapine.

and just to add something more, I'm starting a new job tomorrow after 2 years unemployment and i have a funeral on wednesday!

pinkdove
12-02-12, 20:24
Hi i have taken propanolol before and i smoke, i took 40mg 3 times a day at first as my anxiety was sky high, i did feel they helped a bit, but wore off quite quick, and made me a bit tired.

i think your gp will have given you the right dose, but you could ring if you are not happy with them]
good luck with your new job, and hope you feel better sson xx

krios
13-02-12, 16:51
Propranolol is used for children for lots of conditions and is dosed at. Initial: 1 to 2 mg/kg/day divided in 2 to 3 doses/day with Maximum dose: 4 mg/kg/day up to 640 mg/day.
Your 20mg three times a day is not a huge amount.
I have taken it for years to treat tremors and find it stops me sleeping if i take it any time after lunch time.
I smoked too and didnt seem to affect me.
Hope that helps a little