PDA

View Full Version : Confused/Frightened. A phobia out of the blue

NoSuperman
19-06-06, 16:23
hey, I don't really know if this is the right section. Should this go in introductions? I dunno, anyway, if this is the wrong place could a mod please move it?

Anyway, Gee, um, dunno really how to start. My names Sam and thats the first time I've chosen to reveal my name online, just thought it might help. Thats not my phobia, but anyway.

Ok, I'm just sorting of wondering if you can give yourself phobias by accident or on purpose. See, the thing is, I've always been a sort of anxious/nervous person (the username is a reference to people in my life comparing me to Clark Kent). But I didn't have this phobia before, it's just sort of appeared.

When I was young, about 5 or 6 (still at the age when your parents help bath you) I was in the bath and my mum was in the room helping me. The phone rang and she left to answer it and while she was gone I slipped and fell under the water, I couldnt pull myself back up and got very paniced. Eventually she came back and pulled me out and I sort of just continued with my life.

It never developed into anything, I still felt more or less comfortable around water and learnt to swim and even enjoyed water parks. But a few years ago I had a bad dream and it sort of un-earthed the memory of that incident. I was due to go swimming the next week but after the dream I didn't feel up to it, not really afraid, just wary so I made my excuses.

Since then I used the excuse of being afraid of water as a way out of any situation near it, even though I didnt actually believe I was that scared you know? It was just a "no questions asked" sort of excuse for those situations. But then I went on a holiday in February where we had to go by ferry across the channel. I was freaked out and got very upset being on board, breaking down in tears when my girlfriend tried to take me up on deck to clear my head.

and since then its just gotten worse, I'm convinced I've forgotten how to swim (it's been years since I've been in water now) and even the thought of being in water seriously distresses me.

I watched Constantine a few days ago and (not to spoil it if you havent seen it but) theres a scene where he holds a womans head underwater to help her gain a connection to the devil things. I got uneasy as soon as it started but when she started struggling underwater I got this physical reaction, I felt my throat close up as if I was being choked and had to stop the film while I tried to start breathing again.

Anyway, this post is probably too long now, but I just dont know what to do. I'm conscious of this fear and I'm also kinda aware of the fact that I created it myself, almost by choice. The summer season is coming and I want to be able to enjoy the beach with my girlfriend and other friends. I'm sick of being left on the shore.

Any help is appreciated, sorry if there are other threads on this subject, I did try using search for a bit but couldnt find anything.

Attsila
21-06-06, 01:27
Hey there Sam. I am sorry you have had such a hard time lately. I can understand the fear of water thing and I can understand Why you would be scared. Maybe try signing up for a swimming class and explain that it is a refresher to keep you up todate on today's advice. I know advice I was given in classes years ago has changed and I am even surprised by what I don't know when I watch kids being trained now. Another thing remember, the thing we fear most almost 99.9 percent of the time NEVER happens anyway. Since it happened to you once that makes the liklihood it will happen again even slimmer. Another thing you wcould do is maybe talk to a minister or a counselor or even one of your friends about your fear. It may be embarassing at first but you would REALLY be surprised at how understanding others are and when you go to the beach with them they will be more aware and keep a watch on you. also take comfort in the dream you had if you didn't feel afraid when the incident was occuring that is good reason to not be afraid now. I hope this has helped you some.....If you ever wanna chat you can message me or instant message me
Take care and have a great night.

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere