PDA

View Full Version : panic relapse..

jean
05-05-04, 11:09
HI i'm new here, I hope I'm doing this right.
Have just had a major panic attack, 1st for 2 years and I'm absolutely terrified that they're coming back.
I had my 1st panic attack when I was 26. I eventually went to the doc who put me on anti depressants and sent me on a cognitive behavioural therapy course. This seemed to help and I was relatively ok for a while but lately I can feel it creeping back over me. I have beening drinking every evening to try and cope but it just makes me worse the next day. I seem to have got myself into a real viscious circle and I don't know what to do. I can't talk to anyone about it any more coz I think they're getting really fed up with me.

jean

Meg
05-05-04, 11:22
Jean

You're doing it fine, Welcome .

Firstly -stop the drinking . It will make you fee much worse the next day not only due to hangover but gross sugar imbalances too....

If you can't stop straight off - wean down or see AA .

What caused this - extra stress/ worries / unwanted thoughts ? You say its been building back up over recent times. Think back - whats going on with you ?

Go to the Introduction section of the forum and read First Steps and essentially start takng care of yourself again.

They will not come back full tme unless you welcome them back by allowing them to take control .
Perhaps have a top up session of CBT

This is not a permanent backward step -it's just a blip.

If you've been good for 2 years then I expect people won't be fed up of you, it may not seem a long time to you but its ages to everyone else.

Keep posting and get some support here .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

sarah
05-05-04, 12:19
Hiya Jean

Welcome to the site.
Im sorry that you are having panic again after all this time. Must be hard. On a positive note, you beat it once..im betting you can do it again. keep persevering, you will get there.
You say you cant talk to anyone about it? Well feel free to offload on us anytime!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

diana
05-05-04, 15:48
Hiya Jean,

Welcome aboard!!!!!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a bit of a "BLIP" with the old panic monster.

We all have them so don`t get to discouraged about this.

I agree with Meg about the drinking. You definitely need to stop that. Like Meg suggested though if you are unable to cut it out right away then wean yourself off.

That is a start in the right direction.

I`m sorry you feel you have no one to talk to. However you are always welcomed here to vent, complain or if you just need to chat with someone. We are always here for you.

We will always do our best to advise you, give you suggestions and support you. That is what we all do for each other here.

I am so glad that you have found your way here. :)

Keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

jean
05-05-04, 21:10
Thank you so much for listening. I've had the best day today for weeks. I think it's just the relief of being able to unburden. I will cut down on the drinking. It's only 3 or 4 cans of lager a night so I shouldn't have too much trouble hopefully. I'ts just it's been my only escape for a while.
I've been thinking about what's changed over the past few weeks as was suggested and I realise that I have been dwelling on past events in my life again. About 5 years ago I was attacked in my bedroom by a man who then stalked me for 7 months. This man stole my keys so I had to have the locks changed on my house, he tried to break in, left dead flowers on the doorstep, abusive phone calls-the works. He even threatened to kill my brother and sabotaged his car.I dealt with everything just fine at the time, everyone was really impressed with how I coped.I really thought that I'd managed and it was over. It was only when I got married to a lovely man, bought a new house and I was supposed to be happy that it came back to bite me. I didn't know even that I'd been thinking about this again until I had a good think today. Fortunately proper thoughts not the unwellcome ones I have been having lately.Thank you again for listening, It's so good to know that there are over people out there who understand how it feels-not that I would wish it on anyone. Hope I haven't waffled on too much.Jean.

nomorepanic
05-05-04, 21:26
Hi Jean

Welcome to the site.

When I was at my worst I used to drink heavily - sometimes I could drink 12 cans in a night. I cut that down but I like you do still enjoy a drink - mainly to relax me and help me sleep.

3 weeks ago I decided that the drinking had to be cut down cos a) I don't sleep very well so the alcohol is not helping and b) cos I am overweight and I know that the alcohol is contributing to this.

I am trying to stop drinking in the week and just a few at weekends. I am finding that I am sleeping even worse now cos I think it used to relax me but I am determined not to start again.

I am sitting her drinking a can of Kaliber cos I love the taste of lager but don't want the alcohol.

I hope that you can manage to cut down too.

So sorry to hear about this man that obviously caused you stress even though, like you say, it is only just coming to light now.

Do you work and are you on any medication or have you had any therapy atall?

Keep in touch ok?

Nicola

Meg
05-05-04, 21:30
Jean - what a terrible time. That's quite enough to send anyone into a spiral.

What you're experiencing now is sheer PTSD.

Try to give up alcohol comepletely for a couple of weeks and then when you're better and more in control go back to what you would normally have had pre all this.

I'm really pleased you've managed to identify your dwelling thoughts. Now try to distract yourself and rationalize these thoughts when they come into what did happen - not what might of happened or what might happen in your thought spirals.

Did he get caught ?

It's very usual for people to cope brilliantly at the time and hold it together, but once they are in a safe space and environment, then it all comes crashing out .

Pent up emotions will come out whether you like it or not eventually, in some form or another. Are you able to cry and beat pillows about it all sometimes ?

Keep posting and have a good unburden as much as you like.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

stimpy
05-05-04, 22:41
Remember your deep breathing exercises and calming thoughts.
We will have that dreadful panic monster licked in no time.

Hang in there, hun.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

jean
06-05-04, 20:26
Thank you so much. And no, he wasn't charged with anything. I didn't report the 1st incident, and even though I called the police when he was stalking he was allways gone by the time they got there.

jean
06-05-04, 20:28
I posted that before it was finished! I was going to say I am going to cut out the drinking and I will post how I got on in a few days. Jean

Meg
06-05-04, 21:30
We look forward to hearing from you when you next want to post.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
10-05-04, 16:21
Jean,

My goodness that is quite a bit to swallow is`nt it?

I am so sorry you have gone through this.

No wonder you are suffering these attacks now ey?

Good on you for pin pointing what the cause of these recent attacks are.

I am so pleased to that you have decided to cut down on your drinking.

Do keep us posted on how things go.

I think that now you have focused in on what has been on your mind. Things should start to calm down a bit for you.

You will do just fine dear. Despite the trauma you have had to endure.

Luckily you are married to a wonderful man whom can help suport you through your recovery time.

Feel free to vent/unburden yourself at any time.

We will always do our very best to listen and advise you as best we can.

Take care sweetie,

Diana xxxxx

jean
24-05-04, 11:23
Hi, back from holiday. Went for 5 days but i had a pretty rough time of it. Had just about got a handle on everything before I went away but the attacks came back with a vengance. Have felt better since i've been home but having a wobble this morning.
All i have to do is think 'hope I don't have an attack today' and then I fear getting one which then brings one on. Feel like I'm going mad!
I bought a box of Valerian tea,haven't tried it yet, just wondered if anyone has.

stimpy
24-05-04, 11:43
Hi Jean

The main thing is to see this "blip" for what it is, and beat Mr Panic back into his box.
Try not to dwell on the attacks too much (easier said than done) or you will drive yourself mad with the vicious circle of panic.

Valerian tea ... not tried that. I will have to look out for some next time I go shopping.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Magster
24-05-04, 14:54
Hi Jean. I'm going thru the very same right now. I've had two terrible panic attacks over the weekend. Now, come Monday morning, all I can think of is when is the next one coming out. It's just plain awful. I think mine started cuz I went dancing on Friday night. I had a great time but I was really anxious before I left. I hardly go downtown, Chicago that is, so I was a bit nervous. I had the time of my life. Then Saturday came. I was fine until I had a quick, sharp chest pain just below the sternum. I felt the flood of adrenaline just pour over my whole body. I haven't panicked in a very long time. I wanted to take a Xanax, I wanted to ruch to the hospital, I just wanted to leave myself. Then I layed down & strecthed and it went away. I fell asleep for the rest of the night and that was that. Then Sunday it came back. Same cycle all over again. I'm just hoping it doesn't come back.

Meg
24-05-04, 15:14
Jean - how the stopping drinking going ?

You're on the fear of the fear roundabout- Pick an exit- distraction , exercise, rational thinking and get in the correct lane to get off the roundabout..

Magster

Glad you enjoyed your dancing so much..
Very well done for not taking a xanax or rushing to he hospital and especially for doing the stretching .. maybe do some regular stretching may help to keep it at bay .

it

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Magster
24-05-04, 15:27
You know, the stretching was the hardest part of it all. All I wanted to do was lay curled up. I was so tense that getting myself to stretch was like unfolding a sturdy steel coil. It's a good thing that I have a mom that went thru it when she was my age to help out. She's great support. But I have to say, there's no place like this website. My mom says she wished that she had something like this when she got them. She agrees that this place is wonderful. When she used to get them she didn't realize how widespread this is. She thought she was going crazy & the only one in the world w/ it.

Meg
24-05-04, 15:50
Didn't we all think we were the only one ...

It wasn't here when I needed it.

Nic found the same thing and thats why she created it.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

jean
25-05-04, 09:18
The stopping drinking is not going too well I'm afraid. I've cut down but at the moment with all these unwanted thoughts it's difficult. Sorry to hear about your attacks at the weekend Magster. Remember that you dealt with it on saturday so, if you need to, you can deal with it again.

diana
25-05-04, 23:35
Hiya Jean,

Sorry to hear you are not doing very well, and especially right after holiday. :(

We all go through this. "SO THIS TO SHALL PASS". It won`t last forever. Just keep telling yourself that.

You have loads of support and friends here, so there`s no way you can`t recover. :-D

Sorry to hear that the quitting drinking is not going as well as you`d like, but any progress is good progress. So you say you have cut back a bit, so good on you.

Keep at it dear, it will get better and easier.

Magster............

Sorry to hear about your attack over the weekend.

Kudos on coping so well though. :)

Just try to remember it is just a "BLIP" and that is all, and not a return of the ugly monster.

Take care all and be kind to yourselves. :)

I agree, I am so happy and grateful to have found this site and all of you here.

It has been such a relief to me to know that I am not alone in this journey.

Love, Diana xxxxx

jean
29-05-04, 00:45
The doc put me on prozac today, am feeling very strange. I went to the local pub with my husband tonight,even though I've kept up what I've been going through under wraps for years I told old friends about my panic disorder. am feeling v. ashamed and know that when I wake up in morning am going to have that horrid mortifying feeling about what did I say last night. Would like to rewind the past 3 hours!

diana
29-05-04, 00:56
Hiya Jean,

Are you feeling strange because of the prozac or because of your time at the pub?

Don`t feel ashamed of telling your old "FRIENDS" about your disorder. If they are real friends they will be supportive.

If not, then I guess you`ll soon find out who your real friends are. :)

No better time/place to let the cat out of the bag, but at the pub ey? LOL...... :)

You may be surprised at their response tomorrow when you wake. :)

Or hey, maybe they won`t even remember. :)

I hope things go well.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

jean
29-05-04, 16:06
I know-stupid place to talk about it in the pub! Knowing this village there's probably a rumour going around already that I'm a raving nutter! Never mind, have just about recovered now.I think that the drink just does't mix with the prozac for me. At least this will force me to stop drinking!

Tessie28
29-05-04, 21:45
Hi Jean,
if there is one thing I have experience in it is taking the prozac :D. I swear by it for my depression. I normally have one glass of wine a day when taking it, sometimes two. Not sure it can be prozac making you feel funny - maybe the thought of taking it? Just keep a careful eye on it. You know prozac takes a while to 'kick in' so to speak. But you will be glad you took this step and if it helps to make you cut back on the alchol then you may feel more in control.:)
take care,
love tess

jo-jo
02-06-04, 12:24
Hi there Jean

Just to let you know that you're not alone having just started taking Prozac - I'm on day 5 now and have to admit I feel kind of 'buzzy' - not sure whether that's a side effect or not. Just hope they start to work for us soon hey?

Don't feel bad about telling people - there's nothing different about having anxiety/panic attacks to a sprained ankle or something else that bothers you - good for you in being open about it. The more people talk about it, the less the stigma will be for others like us now and in the future.

Good luck Jean, let me know how you are progressing with your Prozac and when you think it might have started to help!

Love Jo xxx

Meg
02-06-04, 14:23
Lets be honest - 1:8 women and 1:12 men are on something similar.(In France it's 1:6)

It's not a novelty or stigma any more to be on one, but people still want to know excatly why and thats where the stigma comes in.

Alex - do you have access to the latest figures ?

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
03-06-04, 13:47
Hiya Jean,

Good on you for being so open.

Keep us updated on your progress with the prozac.

Let us know how you get on with the "NO MORE DRINKING" plan.

Good luck dear. :)

I hope you are feeling better now.

Meg is right you know? There are loads of people taking something, and like she said it`s not the taking somethinmg so much as it is the curiosity of what you are taking it for that causes the issues.

So not to worry ey?

Take care dear,

Diana

jean
07-06-04, 11:04
Hi, thanks for the messages- really kind. Have not been able to post a message for a few days because the mouse was broken. As for the Prozac I think it's really helping. Am on day 11 now and I think they're starting to kick in. I'm finding they're making me 'buzzy' also, but most of all I seem to be really scatty and forgetful at the moment! Another thing is which is bothering me a bit is I'm sure i'm sweating more at the moment and not just because the weather has warmed up. Has anyone else has this side effect? I will persevere though- I havn't had a full blown panic attack since I've been on them so thats got to be good.How are you getting on Jo?

Meg
07-06-04, 15:24
The buzziness goes with time usually .

Glad they're helping you .

Meg

diana
07-06-04, 18:57
Jean,

Glad to hear the Prozac is helping you out a bit. :)

Not sure about the sweating, but as Meg said the buzziness will subside in time. So not to worry about that.

I am glad to hear you say "YOU WILL PERSEVERE" :)

Great progress already don`t you think???? ;)

Take care Jean.

Keep us updated from time to time won`t you?

Diana xxx

jean
08-06-04, 11:51
I will let you know. I'm going to Bournemouth for a few days with my husband to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. For the first time in a while I'm actually looking forward to something! I'll post when I get back, Jean.

Meg
08-06-04, 13:17
Have a lovely time Jean.

Meg

sarahcovell
08-06-04, 16:36
Hi,
I've just registered so hopefully this will work! I have recently started suffering with panic attacks and am finding it really hard to deal with them. I am meant to be going on holiday tomorrow but am terrified of having a panic attack at the airport or on the plane. \i have tried relaxation, reflexology etc but they keep happening without any warning. The dizzy/spaced out feeling is the worsed, like I am about to pass ou! Does anyone have any tips for me?
Thanks
Sarah

sarah
08-06-04, 16:57
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the site!

First of all, as your flight is tomorrow its probably too late to get a couple of diazepam to relax you for the flight, not to worry, go to boots/superdrug etc and get yourself some 'rescue remedy'. I find this takes the edge off my anxiety pretty quickly and a lot of people on here swear by it.

Dress in layers so you can peel off if you get too panicky and hot.

Take a bottle of water with you, it helps with dehydration and dry mouth that we get when we panic.

Take a puzzle book with you for distraction purposes.

Have you got a relaxation CD and portable cd player? I took one with me last year and played it non stop on the flight and was fine.

Have a nice relaxing evening tonight, nice bath, candles etc and get an early night so you are well refreshed tomorrow. I find my anxiety is always worse when im tired.

Most of all Have A Lovely Time!!!!!
Where are you off to?

let us know how you get on when you get back wont you?

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
08-06-04, 17:28
All airports chemist have Rescue remedy so if you've not managed to get out prior its not too late.

The dizzy, spaced out thing is invariably related to breathing either too quickly or holding your breath so a couple of good long sighs and then in for a slow count of 4 and out to the count of 7 if you can.

You won't faint - only a very tiny proportion of people do and they do it from their first panic attack and that's breathing related too - pure hyperventilation.
If you get to the tingling in fingers / toes stage , cup your hands and breathe through then, just recycles the air a bit ..

If you're going long haul most airlines have a chill out channel - tune into that , if a quick hop - sarahs walkman with either a talking book or your music or a relaxation tape.

Its unlikely they are really coming with no warning at all but we'll get into that when you get back !

Have a good time .

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
08-06-04, 17:31
Jean,

Post to let us know how it goes won`t you?

Have a wonderful time dear. ;)

Congratulations on your first year anniversary. ;)

SarahCovell...........

Welcome aboard mate.

So glad to have you here. ;)

Sorry to hear you have been struck by the ugly panic monster.

You are right they are quite hard to deal with initially, but with support and guidance here you are sure to recover.

We have loads of great, caring folks here. ;)

They usually do come with some warning, but maybe none that you notice because focused on the panic itself. :(

The dizzy, spaced out feeling is very "normal" with panic (due to improper breathing), but nonetheless it really is the worst is`nt it?

Where are you off to dear?

Sarah has already given you some very good advice and tips so really not much to add.

Just try as best you can to RELAX, and get plenty of rest to be prepared for your journey tomorrow.

Why not try going to 'coping' on the search engine of this site and look over other ideas and options.

It`s always best to arm ourselves with all the information we can. ;)

Here`s hoping you have a great time.

Post, to update us on how things go upon your return.

I`m sure you will have a great time. ;)

Take care,

Diana xxx

diana
08-06-04, 17:38
Meg,

Do you know if the USA airports offer the Rescue Remedy?

That is good to know, just in case. ;)

Take care all,

Diana xxx

Meg
08-06-04, 18:09
No idea , sorry , I took my own.

Our main chemist 'Boots- the chemist' carries it and they have a branch in the airports so it comes standard with them .

nomorepanic
08-06-04, 18:53
Jean

Have a lovely relaxing break in Bournemouth won't you?

Glad to hear that you are well enough to be able to make it.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicola

diana
11-06-04, 22:44
Meg,

Thanks!!!!!

I`ll just keep my own on hand in case I need to fly anywhere. LOL....... :-D

Take care,

Love Diana xxx

Caz Fab Pants
12-06-04, 20:31
Cant remember exactly who was asking (think it was Jean) about sweating on Prozac. Well I haven't been on Prozac but took Clomipramine for about 3yrs and have been on Lustral for the last 7wks or so and have found that BOTH of them have made me sweat more.

It really bugs me but compared to some of the side effects you can get I guess its not so bad.
I found the Clomipramine also made me constipated and gave me very dry mouth and eyes too which stopped me being able to wear contact lenses.

I'm hoping the Lustral hasn't given me dry eyes (mouth feels fine, nice and moist) because I've just ordered some contacts on line. I'm sick of wearing glasses and want to be able to wear the lovely trendy sun glasses I've just bought :-)

Caroline
x

diana
14-06-04, 07:06
Hi all,

Has anyone here tried Effexor XR/75mg? If so what has been your experience?

Any side effects to mention?

Does anyone know if it causes any weight gain?

I was just prescribed some and actually picked up the RX, but am now having some reservations on taking it.

Does anyone know if it is best to take at night or during the day?

Please post any information/experiences you can share.

Thanks,

Love Diana xxxx