PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sydney

Social in Sydney
13-02-12, 10:12
Hi everyone. I'm new here. By way of introduction, I recently made a decision to join a community like this to help me make a full recovery from social anxiety and panic attacks. I first became aware of this condition in myself around the age of 15, I'm now 39. As I approach middle age I feel this condition has robbed me of relationships, a satisfying career and achieving dreams. Having said that, I know I'm a survivor and despite not having any close friends I'm married with 3 beautiful kids and I have a decent job. Over the past 20 + years I've learned about many things to keep moving forward. For those just starting out I recommend CBT (learn it until its instinctive), Rescue Remedy (great for settling nerves for work presentations or big social events), a good Psychologist (to keep you motivated and to work through situations/beliefs together - in Australia we get 10 sessions free each year which you can spread out as needed). I've tried a whole host of other things but I think these are staples. Anyway, hello everyone and if you could help me overcome this condition completely I'm all ears. ; )

diane07
13-02-12, 10:13
Hi Social in Sydney

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

blue moon
13-02-12, 21:11
Hello Aussie,welcome to site,I am Petra and live in Townsville.I hope you find lot friends like I have here.:D
Petra xx:flowers:

kittikat
13-02-12, 21:59
Hi Social in Sydney, welcome :)

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to combat your fears, well done. Your experiences could also help others here, but you will find lots of lovely people with good advice if you need it.

St3v3n
15-02-12, 17:40
Hi, just having the first of my 10 sessions tomorrow morning. Hope it helps as I've been pretty hard work for the last few weeks(ask my long suffering wife and GP). oh I'm steve from Perth by the way!.

kittikat
15-02-12, 18:45
Hi, just having the first of my 10 sessions tomorrow morning. Hope it helps as I've been pretty hard work for the last few weeks(ask my long suffering wife and GP). oh I'm steve from Perth by the way!.

That's great news, hope it goes well. I''m still waiting for mine, took a year for anything to come through last time, that was about 5 yrs ago, so I'm not holding my breath on this one :mad:

Totally know what you mean about being hard work, think my other half and GP would agree with you there!! :roflmao:

Let us know how you get on...Good Luck Steve :)

Social in Sydney
16-02-12, 09:10
That's great Steve, but KittiKat I don't understand why it took so long for you. Maybe thats because it was 5 years ago. I've found it's best to ask around for a good psychologist who specializes in social anxiety and then go to your GP or medical centre to get a referral to them.

Thanks everyone for your welcoming comments.

ewood79
16-02-12, 10:00
Hello from Adelaide, South Australia!!!

Beauchamp
16-02-12, 11:35
Most well come on this forum . I hope you will enjoy and get information on different topics.
This is best plate forum of share information.

ewood79
17-02-12, 22:30
Hi Steve how did your first session go? Did you find it of some benefit?

cheryl foster
17-02-12, 23:53
:welcome: