PDA

View Full Version : MRI scan today

countrygirl
13-02-12, 12:23
Off for my lumbar mri scan today, I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago after mri with hernaited discs in lumbar spine but am really suffering since xmas day and barely mobile so Dr wants another one to see if any change- I am glad about this on one hand but due to the fact I have problems all down my spine I have over past 12 years had alot of mri scans this will be my 12th. I am absolutely terrified in the scanner as very claustrophobic.

Dr has given me diazepam and the juggling act is to take enough to calm me a bit but not so much I cannot stand up:) and also to take it not too soon and def not too late and hope and pray my scan is not help up ( this happened before and med had worn off).

My scan is 6pm today so if everyone could send me a "you can do it thought" at this time it might you never know help me stay a bit calmer. My heart rate is astronomical while I am in that scanner even with daizepam:whistles:

kittikat
13-02-12, 12:39
Ahh bless you, you obviously feel awful today. My mum had MRI scan she said she just closed her eyes but she was like you, really nervous & claustrophobic. She didn't have meds to calm her but got through it ok. It's the anticipation that feeds the fear.

What are you doing with the diaz and what mg? I'd suggest to take some now and again about 1/2 hour before your appointment. Did your doc not suggest how to take them?

Sending you big hugs :hugs:and you can do it. Try keep busy for now doing something you enjoy xx

swgrl09
13-02-12, 13:52
You'll do great! Just think every minute in there is one minute closer to it being over, and one minute less that you have to do it.

Let us know how it goes!

carefree68
13-02-12, 18:05
its 6PM "YOU CAN DO IT". :bighug1:

countrygirl
13-02-12, 21:00
Thanks for your encouragement. Of course the best laid plans always go belly up! I took diazepam 10mgs half hou before appt, I should have taken them staggered dose so that some had already worked before I got there but hindsight is a wondeful thing. I got there 15 mins before my appt so tablets had not had time to work and I could not believe it they were sitting waiting for me to arrive:scared15::scared15::scared15:. I slowly filled in the form they give you and walked very slowly ( not much choice with my back pain) out to the scanner but still only took 5 mins so had to go into scanner before tablets had started to work. I was only in scanner 12 mins but how my heart survived I do not know I dread to think what my pulse rate was at least 150bpm. I was so rigid with terror I did not need the sliding bed they could have upended me straight into the scanner:D:D
As soon as I was out of the scanner my heartrate back to normal and I could feel the tablets effect once the adrenaline had eased off - very pleasant.
If nothing else it proves just how much fear and adrenaline can overide what was quite big dose of diazepam:whistles:

kittikat
13-02-12, 23:22
Well done, you got through it anyway. Hope all goes well with you results x

purplehippo
14-02-12, 15:45
welldone fingers crossed for all being well im sure it isxxxx

countrygirl
14-02-12, 16:50
Thanks both - I know that the mri will show problems as my previous one 4 years ago showed herniated lumbar discs etc and they sure as heck do not get better on their own:D. Because I have been in constant pain with my lower back to point of not being very mobile since xmas the scan was needed to see if anything more has happened or exisiting problems have worsened and hopefully just that and no nasty surprises. So I know that I am not going to get an okay scan result but hopefully nothing seriously nasty.

carefree68
15-02-12, 14:53
Well Done! Well Done! MRI ARE HORRIBLE, Good for you and most of it without the Diazapam. :D:yesyes: