PDA

View Full Version : Burning Smell

Munchlet
13-02-12, 12:48
Hi over the last couple of days I keep noticing an intermittent burning smell at the top of the stairs at home.

I noticed it yesterday but seemed to forget about it, then I noticed it this morning when I was upstairs sorting out washing.

Anyway, I googled it as it's kind of like a burning electrical/rubber smell and the first thing that comes up is brain tumour/seizures so now I'm terrified.

My husband changed the lightbulb at the top of the landing on Saturday and that light is left on most of the time as our stairs are really dark and my little boy won't go up there if the lights off, so initally I was thinking it was just perhaps something to do with that, now of course I've forgotten all about that and am convinced I have a brain tumour.

I'm trying to calm down about this and tell myself it could be just where the lightbulb is really hot through being left on all the time or as it's just been changed there could be a problem with the light switch or something, but I can fell my HA spiralling out of control!:weep:

miss sparkle
13-02-12, 16:44
Try and relax, if you are just smelling it at a specific place in your house, it is most likely the lightbulb! Think sometimes if you force yourself to think about it, your body can trial you into smelling it x

Danii
13-02-12, 17:11
I smelled a weird smell when I sat on the end of my couch about a month ago, my boyfriend thought I was insane cause one day I went on a cleaning spree cause I thought there was "microscopic" mold or something growing.

I still smell it! lol. I'd say your lightbulb is the culprit as well. I have a snake and his heat lamp always smells like that, even though the bulb isnt new.

Munchlet
13-02-12, 17:29
Thank you guys, I'm trying to calm down about it, I switched the light off for a while and went up the stairs and couldn't smell anything, so am trying to convince myself it's that, but you know what it's like.

Just can't believe I googled it, even though I wasn't even looking for anything health related, it still threw up Brain Tumour.

Damn Google :doh:

Carys
13-02-12, 17:31
I bet you anything it is something in your environment, that you are sensitive to the smell of !

This will make you smile.....during the summer, every single morning I kept smelling a sweet 'rose like' smell. I just could not work it out, spent ages smelling my clothes, round the house and where ever I went it was with me. So, I deduced the smell was either on me or it was a symptom of something 'going wrong' in my head. After the 4th day it was driving me crazy, it was in the car when I was there, it was everywhere......however, it was only around in the morning. I knew it was not perfume, or anything I had sprayed...there seemed no explanation...other than...of course.....something like epilepsy, brain tumour etc.

One day, it disappeared. What could be different that day ? I wasn't wearing makeup ! The next morning I put makeup on and 20 mins later there was that smell again. As it happened, it was a new make of mascara I had bought, the smell only became aparnet as it was getting quite dry.... and being so close to my nose the smell was really strong - then it wore off by lunchtime.

So, you see, it can be something really benign and simple, yet we can jump to a sinister conclusion. :D