PDA

View Full Version : My story so far

paulwojnicki
13-02-12, 14:31
Hi guys,
Hope everyone is okay and feeling optimistic about the future.
I'll give a brief rundown of my history just to introduce myself.
I first had a panic attack in 2003 and it changed my life forever. I genuinely didn't know what a panic attack was until that day. We were travelling in a car on a Spanish motorway and I could feel myself becoming more and more uneasy. This culminated in a massive attack which even to this day is by far the worst attack I have ever had. The electricity that jolted down my left arm was terrifying and I really did think I was having a heart attack.
The attack turned my life upside down and I quickly became obsessed with the fact that this could just happen to me at any time. I became afraid to drive (or even be in) a car in case a sudden attack would make me cause a crash. I avoided bridges and tall buildings because I thought that I might have a panic attack and jump off the building or bridge and eventually I was afraid to leave my own home.I kept worrying about what MIGHT happen. I MIGHT jump from a bridge in a fit of anxiety. I MIGHT crash my car on the motorway. My heart MIGHT stop or explode (ridiculous I know but that's what I actually thought).
Even at home I was having a couple of dozen attacks a day and I wasn't sure whether to check myself into a regular hospital or the mental hospital. I was completely manic by this time and all of this happened within a couple of weeks.
Then I discovered the fact that water seemed to have a calming effect on me, so I spent a lot of time in the bath, or swimming and the anxiety gradually went away.
Only to resurface with a vengeance a few years later.
The attacks this time around were not a severe, and at least I knew what was happening this time. But they were almost as scary and it went on (on almost an hourly basis) for three months, which was mentally and physically exhausting to say the least.
I finally sought help from the doctor, who prescribed beta blockers (at my request, as I was afraid to take anything potentially addictive). They didn't really help. Then I realised that I was at a junction in my life and that I could either stay locked up at home and become more and more afraid of going out, or I could scare myself witless and actually do everything I was afraid to do.
I started off by visiting my local pool and jumping from the 5 meter diving boards, I've always been afraid of heights. I then took up climbing at a local indoor wall, which taught me to focus my thoughts rather than thinking about what MIGHT happen and having irrational catastrophic day dreams.
These activities rebuild my shattered confidence and gave me the will to start living again. Don't get me wrong, I know I will never be the same as I was before that first attack, but at least I have a good quality of life at the moment.
I genuinely believe that scaring yourself deliberately helps deal with anxiety and panic because the more I hid from potential anxiety the worse I became. I also realised after a number of therapy sessions that I am actually quite a creative person, I believe we all are. I'd always been a bit of a day dreamer but once I discovered panic attacks I was having day nightmares rather than day dreams. I found that writing helped me channel my creativity and avoid catastrophic thinking. I've actually written three novels over the last few years and I've got two more in the pipeline. They're never going to be best sellers but they are mine and they've helped me with my issues. I write a lot about anxiety and if anyone would like to talk to me about their issues I am always available via private message, or over this forum. I'm happy to have found this and hope I can assist others like myself.
Thanks, and I hope I didn't rabbit on for too long.
Paul

diane07
13-02-12, 14:32
Hi paulwojnicki

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

keta
13-02-12, 15:38
Hi Paul

Well done to you!!! what an
inspiring story, i wish i could break my fears like you :welcome:

mistymoo
13-02-12, 16:08
hi Paul, well done for facing these awful fears, you are a strong person to do that, I had massive panic attack four years ago and like you it has ruined my life, i'm now agoraphobic and have been since, i admire your honesty. i also enjoy painting and drawing, i find if im anxious i get out the pencil and paper and it calms me down, im glad your moving forward with your life, all the best Angie

purplehippo
13-02-12, 17:13
welcome im new here too:)
im glad you have managed to control your problems it is a relief to know you can get through it isnt it.
Im someone who has suffered recovered and now relapsed again ,im fully expecting that this will be a constant cycle but knowing it can be conqured even if its not permanant is a comfort isnt it.
talking defo helps as does writing about it,im always writing reassuring notes to myself !
very daft but i know all of us are in the same boat here
takecare
tilly

paulwojnicki
14-02-12, 12:10
Hi Paul

Well done to you!!! what an
inspiring story, i wish i could break my fears like you :welcome:

Hi Keta,
I'm glad you found some inspiration in my story, though I find I always have to stay one step ahead to keep anxiety at bay I do believe it is possible for all of us to live a good quality life again.

Try the swimming even if it means signing up to a gym where the pool will be less busy. I found that keeping my eyes focused on the far side of the pool and concentrating on each stroke helped me to gain a certain amount of control in my life instead of thinking about catastrophic events that probably would never happen. I signed up for the Great North swim event to raise money for Mind the mental health carity and put this into practice in the middle of a big lake. I gained tremendous confidence from this and even took the motorway route home afterwards (something I'd avoided for years).

Fears HAVE to be faced or they take on greater strength than they ever should do.

I wish you all the luck in the future and I KNOW you will make it past this.
:yesyes:

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

,im always writing reassuring notes to myself !
very daft
tilly

Hi purplehippo,

That doesn't sound daft to me at all, it's the exact strategy that I have employed in the past. I find that this helped me to remember that no matter how bad things are one day then the next day and the ones after that can still be great.

Watch this clip for some inspirational quotes, it never fails to make me cry watching this clip, I always remember how I was and what I have come through and how anything is possible if you have faith and belief in yourself.:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phL0RLKL8bc

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

i get out the pencil and paper and it calms me down, im glad your moving forward with your life, all the best Angie

Hi Angie,
I hope you are feeling good today. I'm glad you find a creative outlet to calm you down.

As humans we all have creative desires and urges, just look at how eager we were to put crayon to paper as children. Yet as we grow older many of us put our natural expressive selves aside and consequently have no creative outlet. This then manifests itself in daydreams and in many of our cases waking nightmares, which is essentially what panic attacks are. I find that being creative in some form or another allows me to express my fears, hopes and desires and channels my creative energy in a positive way.

Get your pencil and paper out and start drawing yourself in social situations, imagine yourself outside, sitting by a lake and being calm. Draw it. Draw it again. Draw yourself walking through a supermarket with a calm expression on your face. Imagine things like this enough times and you most assuredly will be able to do it in real life.

Good luck.
Paul

mistymoo
14-02-12, 12:20
thankyou for the kind words Paul, I get so frustrated at times, I know what I have to do, its just doing it, family say to me 'if your fed up of being in, then go out':scared15: well its not that easy, I know things in life are never easy but I never thought it would make me feel so demoralized:mad:thanks again Paul

paulwojnicki
14-02-12, 12:42
thankyou for the kind words Paul, I get so frustrated at times, I know what I have to do, its just doing it, family say to me 'if your fed up of being in, then go out':scared15: well its not that easy, I know things in life are never easy but I never thought it would make me feel so demoralized:mad:thanks again Paul

Hi Keta,
Have you tried the Paul McKenna hypnosis CD? He does a great technique with creative visualisation and pressing your thumb and forefinger together. His show is on you tube, see below. It might not be the show I have pasted here but you'll find it through this link.

I found it to be one of the most powerful techniques I have ever used.
Good luck, you can do it.