PDA

View Full Version : neuro/ muscular symptoms

victor jara
13-02-12, 18:10
Hi Everyone,

I have been suffering chronic health anxiety for over a year now. I had neuro/muscular symptoms in my hands and arms that I have had extensive tests, seen two neurologists but have not been able to be given a diagnosis although one neuro thought it was stress related.(Symptoms muscle atrophy , ache and burning sensation in arm plus some weakness doing repitive tasks etc). Also recently worried that I was struggling to chew food and yawning a lot.

My fear and pre-occupation is with motor neurone disease although based on the tests the two neuro's last year told me I don't have that but could'nt tell me what I did have. This fear is blighting my life at the moment.

I am like my mother and worry about everything but recently felt at crisis point. GP started me on citalopram and Promethazine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Victor

Abarth
13-02-12, 19:40
Hi Victor
My friend you have my deepest sympathy as I am going through the very same thing and it frightens me terribly. I have yet to have neuro tests, but my fears flit between MN, CJD, brain tumour and/or some other form of rare cancer. It blights my daily existence. However, i keep trying to say to myself that I have been through the same routine over the last 27 years and in each instance it was my anxiety that manifested the symptoms that felt and feel so real. I'm not there yet, but i'm working on it and time is often what it takes to disprove our fears; albeit it can be the worst time. In your case, my deliberately limited knowledge of the disease that you are preoccupied with is that is is more progressive and does not relent and that the symptoms would have become significantly more noticeable than you describe within the time frame you have set out. Of course I am no doctor, however, I can tell you from personal experience that your mind can and will replicate any symptoms that you can and will imagine. That your consultant cannot identify the problem is more than likely due to there not being the condition, rather than anything sinister. Keep on the meds, and let the side effects go, you will see a
difference in no time. I am willing to bet that you have good and bad days? Further indication that anxiety is weaving its wicked web. Keep updating the forum, you are amomgst likeminded
people here who will all offer help and support. Stay strong and all the best, things will improve.
Ant

victor jara
13-02-12, 20:08
Thanks Abarth for your thoughts,

While my symptoms in my arms come and go at diferrent times in the day, certainly when I am anxious they feel worse. What I have found though is that I have become obsessed with mnd and trolled the internet and forums on it. So the slightest symptom like the chewing or yawning and I am back into dread and panic. I am trying to steer clear of researching the illness and to get help with the anxiety.

As I said I am a chronic worrier and if I can't contact my wife or daughter imediedtly I go into fearing the worse.

Abarth
13-02-12, 20:36
Victor
if you are like me, you may be a little OCD, which is why you worry/obsess so much. You may think about approaching your GP with a view to tackling it from that angle. Certainly from your description, I think you have possibly found the answer in that it is the anxiety that is causing the morbid thoughts. Hold that thought and it will help. That is not to downplay the impact of your fear, I know awful that can be. Just know that you are not on your own with this. CBT, Counselling and some Antideps can really help. It might not be a quick thing to sort, but once you focus your energies on the psychological element, the quicker you and your docs will find a solution i'm sure.

Ant