PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers

amyyy
13-02-12, 19:05
Hi i got prescribed beta blockers the other day they are 10 mg propranolol, do they work?

amandaj
13-02-12, 19:28
i take 40mg propranolol 3 times a day ,no side effects or anything off them, id be lost without them now they def help the physical symptom of the heart racing x

flossie
13-02-12, 19:35
I take propranolol for anxiety too.

Abarth
13-02-12, 19:49
Hi Ammy
I take bb's too. With my anxiety I found that I had adrenilin racing around my body from the minute I woke up. I have also had an arythmic heart beat/fluttering. The BBs certainly ease these symptoms which is a relief. They can though affect your sleep/dreams and make you feel somewhat detached/lethargic as you get used to them, which can be a little disconcerting if you are not expecting it, especially if, like me, you panic at the slightest symptom!!! The general reactions that I have heard of, aside from me, is that the side effects are very minor and more than outweighed by the positive effects.
Be positive and I'm sure they will do the same for you.
All the best
Ant

sam66
13-02-12, 19:55
no side affects atall I found, they stop the heart racers and the feeling you cant breathe, x

robinbrum
13-02-12, 20:21
Yep, they work:)

bignik
13-02-12, 20:26
on the physical side of things heart palpitations etc yes they do the job

amyyy
14-02-12, 12:21
Thanks for all the replies! My axciety has been brilliant for almost 2 weeks now! So i think i will take them if i get another episode x

justina
15-02-12, 10:45
Thanks for all the replies! My axciety has been brilliant for almost 2 weeks now! So i think i will take them if i get another episode x

what does this medicine do, does it take down anxiety or just the physical effects of anxiety (heart racing etc)? Does it work on the body or on the mind?

Carrera74
15-02-12, 19:00
They take the edge off the physical symptoms of anxiety.

happycarrot
15-02-12, 23:10
I'm on a beta blocker to prevent my migraines (I can't take any standard migraine medicine due to the type of migraine I have). However the fact that they help my anxiety is nice too :) The way they work is by blocking the effect of adrenaline, so they help relieve the physical effects of anxiety that are caused by adrenaline.