PDA

View Full Version : Started on Propranolol Today

boothzor
13-02-12, 19:40
Hi there.

I started taking Propranolol today after being given a script from my GP.

Just wondering, will the effects be instant or cumulative?

I've been advised to take 40mg up to thrice daily but to usually take 40mg twice daily. This is for migraines too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

krios
13-02-12, 19:53
Hi,
I have been taking propranolol for a few years and mostly effects are within an hour or quicker. It does leave the system in about 5 or 6 hours so no real cumulative effects that i have noticed.
It does cause insomnia in me so cant take it later in the day. I used to get ocular migraines but dont get them nearly as often on propranolol.
Hope that helps

boothzor
13-02-12, 21:37
Hi,
I have been taking propranolol for a few years and mostly effects are within an hour or quicker. It does leave the system in about 5 or 6 hours so no real cumulative effects that i have noticed.
It does cause insomnia in me so cant take it later in the day. I used to get ocular migraines but dont get them nearly as often on propranolol.
Hope that helps

That's a great help, thank you. I'd thought it had started to have an effect but wasn't sure if I was just imagining it or it was some kind of placebo effect.

Aimzee
07-03-12, 08:58
Hi All,

Might not help very much as i know this is a month or so old now. I've been on Propranolol for near enough 6 months now (I had a mini-stroke caused by a clot on my brain) in September/October. The aftermath left me with severe headaches and nausea. I'd been given the likes of Co-Codomol and Diclofenic to try and calm my head pains and none worked, my neurologist then decided to try Propranolol. I must say it has worked absolute wonders for me. I'm on 80mg a day, before I could barely function, now i've gone back to work etc and get on with day to day life. These are fantastic tablets, however in the beggining I had a lot of side effects which included feeling tired all the time (even if i'd just slept for 8 hours), sickness, feeling hungry all the time and palputations.

In December, I did not take them for around 3 weeks (dr wouldn't see me to give me a prescription) and I soon noticed my headaches coming back etc. I am now back on them and have been put on them long term.

The side effects do go down after a few months! Just be careful and make sure you read the booklet with them because they may cause death as they are prone to slowing down your heartbeat and receptors.

Another thing i've also noticed is my weight gain has increased as they also slow down your thyroid and are classed as a medical steroid.

Hope this helps!