PDA

View Full Version : question about mild attacks

Kate21
13-02-12, 20:09
ok so I haven't had a full blown panic in a while now yay!
The problem I'm having is when I'm walking alone. I've been walking to and from town (about 30min walk) to get to my studio. I'm skint which is why I've been walking. After about 10 mins when I get to the main road my chest starts really hurting and I get aware of my breathing and become anxious, I also feel very exposed if there is a lot of traffic. By the time I get to my studio I have to catch my breath and calm down, it's exhausting!
It doesn't feel like full blown panic but maybe it is but different?

Does anyone have any tricks for walking alone?
I've tried listening to music but that makes me paranoid about my breathing being heard. I need to somehow make myself believe I blend into the background.

william wallace
14-02-12, 10:13
Reads like you're doing just fine. You're mildly anxious about the 30 minute walk but still doing it, you're winning girl:)

Kate21
14-02-12, 15:17
Thanks, I guess I haven't looked at it that way. x

mistymoo
14-02-12, 16:20
hi Kate, it sounds like anxiety, try being minndful, what I mean is take notice of the smells, the colours of trees, shapes, textures to occupy your mind, your doing fab, keep it up:yahoo:

martintlane
16-02-12, 06:49
HI Kate. I agree with mistymoo you need to try and take your mind of your worries whilst walking, try breathing exercises and meditation both can help you change your focus to other things and help stop you thinking about that walk

Foo
16-02-12, 09:49
Music, have you tried listening to an ipod or something similar

Kate21
18-02-12, 17:46
I've been putting these tips into practice and trying to ignore the traffic and look at the trees and stuff I think I will get there even if slowly. :-) thanks guys x

isthisasgdasitgets
21-02-12, 02:14
I sometimes count my steps when I am out walking, just to distract myself....(obviously not out loud though)!
Keep fighting the fight! :)