PDA

View Full Version : Asthma concerns

sebinkent
13-02-12, 20:19
I feel ashamed to be posting yet again about breathing issues but I cannot shake off this fear about asthma. If there is anyone on here who has asthma or knows what I'm going through, it would be great to get some reassuring words.

One of my main symptoms of anxiety is shortness of breath. Now that I have worries about having asthma, that creates anxiety, which creates shortness of breath - so the cycle keeps going. I feel that my anxiety has caused me to chronically hyperventilate which I have read can cause asthma in the long run.
I don't come from a family of asthmatics and I don't wheeze.

Am I just worried too much about this?
Thanks.

oneofus
13-02-12, 20:33
Asthma is typified by wheezing and a difficulty on breathing out, not in. These alone of course do not mean you have asthma.

One of us

Danii
13-02-12, 22:02
I have asthma and horrible anxiety about it, and other breathing problems. I have mild asthma. I went to the hospital multiple times in the past 3 months because I was afraid I was having an asthma attack, only to find out it wasn't, it was only anxiety.

When I began to feel more calm, less anxious over all, one day I felt short of breath and tightness in my chest I took my inhailer, believing it was asthma, and it ended up still not being asthma (my breathing tests came back exactly the same before I took the inhailer as after).

I've heard people describe asthma as feeling like there was "plastic" over their lungs. Like one of us said, it is difficulty breathing out. Also you'd most likely have a horrible cough too, and wheezing which people could hear from a block away almost.

Have you gone to your doctor about this? That might help put your mind at ease. Also I've been told if I ever needed my inhailer and didnt have it that drinking a mug or 2 of black hot coffee works almost as well, but also be aware that its going to speed up your heart, make you breathe a little faster, and make you jittery. My advice would be to try to put your mind at ease about it, you'll feel better soon.

sebinkent
13-02-12, 22:57
Thanks for the replies! I am having tests for asthma but have to wait until the beginning of March. My doctor told me that he would put money on my results coming back negative.
I guess I just worry about it too much. My breathing is very quiet, I don't wheeze and I don't have a bad cough so I suppose they're all good signs.
I do sigh a lot but I've been told this is all part of my 'hidden hyperventilation' due to anxiety.

Thanks again.

Pipkin
14-02-12, 17:50
Hi there,

I have asthma and your symptoms don't sound like asthma to me, though of course your tests will confirm this. The shortness of breath I get with anxiety is very different where I find it hard to talk for long without needing too breathe but i dont actaully find it hard to breathe (if that makes sense). When I have an asthma attack, I literally can't breathe (in or out) and really wheeze. When I'm lying down, it gets even worse.

Chances are, yours isn't asthma but, even if it is, it's manageable and doesn't affect my life too much.

Take care

Pip

sebinkent
14-02-12, 19:47
Thanks Pip,

That is reassuring. I realise that asthma is a chronic condition that many people live with a deal with, including yourself. I don't want to sound pathetic but having a major phobia about not being able to breathe is so debilitating.

Thanks again. :)

Pipkin
14-02-12, 20:09
Don't worry about it - I understand. I know how frightening it is to feel like you can't breathe.

Hope you're feeling a bit better. Drop me a pm if you ever feel like you need some reassurance.

Pip