PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine, msg and Aspartame

times71
14-02-12, 11:04
Hi everybody

Im sure this must have been discused before, but i shall post anyway.

Ive been doing alot of research for myself, simply because i want the nightmare of panic attacks to end, I dont take medication and im yet to read a success story of anyone being cured by taking them, im sure they help, but its not for me.

Anyway, after many hours researching etc i have found 5 things that have totally helped alot, and i mean alot. Progress finally. they are

1. Stop all caffeine, (even decaff stuff still contains caffine)
2. Stop taking food that contains MSG , chinese food, doritos (u need to look it up)
3. Aspartame (the stuff they put in coke light, zero etc to make it sweet)
4. Start drinking water, I love the way it makes me feel now.
5. Start walking I started going late in the evening when not many people where about.. brisk walking did wonders for me, and it help with the weight too ;)

The above as helped me like i said, I can sleep better, feel more relaxed and even though i miss my caffeine, the trade off as been worth it.

good luck all.

robinbrum
14-02-12, 11:25
I have been experimenting with this but can't say I feel any great benefit. When I say experimenting I mean for about a week I cut out caffeine, which was hard, drank plenty of water and did a fair amount of walking. I cook my own meals so I'm pretty careful about what ingredients I put into my food. However I do have a weakness for flavoured water which I know contains artificial sweeteners. This is because I am overweight and am counting calories. Normal water is a bit boring all the time.
Perhaps I need to try again and give it a bit longer. Glad it's helping you though:).

times71
14-02-12, 11:50
it took about 3 weeks before i starting feeling better, and your right, plain water is boring... but i love the way it makes me feel now, and couldnt be without out. I wish you the very best dude.

teez
14-02-12, 12:03
im also on no caffine although saying this ive been known to still eat the odd choccy bar full of the stuff lol
i only drink decaff tea,,green tea, and bottles of water at least two to three daily,,
artificial sweetners of any kind especially aspartame has not nice effects on my tummy even in the tinyist amount ,,like half a chewy gum did the other week lol,,
i also choose to go down the no meds route as i think in my humble opinion i need to travel the path of mental illness unaided and make the mistakes so i can learn,,but i also understand anyone grabbing any help they can lol,,

times71
14-02-12, 19:33
nice one, another good thing i learned was to except it, the way i see it is the panic attacks are beyond my control, may as well enjoy the ride rather than fight it... sounds crazy i know... but its helped ^^

I wish you well dude :yesyes:

Squiggle
14-02-12, 20:54
I used to have terrible nightmares and found they stopped completely when I cut out aspartame 2 years ago. After reading a bit about it I started to take magnesium and b complex for a while. It really helped. I wouldn't touch aspartame again.

nicotine
26-04-12, 20:56
Great thread!

I have long known about the horrorshow that is ASPARTAME but over and over I have still chewed gum but right now I am totally kicking it!

Aspartame is worth everyone looking up if you drink alot of diet drinks or sweeten your drinks with it. It is actually advised in the military that pilots NEVER ingest aspartame and absolutely NEVER 24 hours before flying an aircraft. I know this as my father was in the RAF. It affects you neurologically thus effecting perception among other things.

It is also worth noting that Aspartame when it breaks down turns into methanol (poison) which then breaks down into formaldehyde (more poison) when it oxidizes in various tissues in the body. It even states this fact on the aspartame wiki page.

It's ridiculous that aspartame even EXISTS in our food but it was pushed through into our food very quickly as some people had a lot of cash to gain from its use within foods!

I think it contributes a lot to the ailments people suffer, and at worst may even be linked to more instances of brain cancer since it began being used as an artificial sweetener in the eighties.

grotbags
26-04-12, 21:21
Good advice thanks :)

I don't drink caffeine anymore either. For people who like tea, Redbush/Rooibos tea is a great naturally caffeine-free alternative. It's mainstream now so available nearly everywhere. Once you get used to it (it's similar to standard tea in taste, just less bitter) you won't want to go back to standard tea anymore...

Aspartane is more difficult to avoid! I do like chewing gum you see. Recently, in my local health food store I found Xylitol chewing gum although the flavour doesn't last very well. As far as I'm aware, Xylitol appears to be safe?

As for water, do you filter yours? I am going to get myself a water filter I think.

Something else to consider is a gluten free diet. I have heard of undiagnosed celiac or gluten intollerance causing panic. I'm not sure the difference it would make for me, but when I have the time, money and energy I will go gluten free for a month or two as an experiment. I try and avoid it anyway, and it's easy these days with rice noodles instead of pasta, and gluten free bread, biscuits and cake easily available. Expensive though.

times71
27-04-12, 09:58
Im drinking bottled water at the moment, though a water filter will be a great, and cheaper option tbh.

nicotine
27-04-12, 14:47
Good advice thanks :)

I don't drink caffeine anymore either. For people who like tea, Redbush/Rooibos tea is a great naturally caffeine-free alternative. It's mainstream now so available nearly everywhere. Once you get used to it (it's similar to standard tea in taste, just less bitter) you won't want to go back to standard tea anymore...

Aspartane is more difficult to avoid! I do like chewing gum you see. Recently, in my local health food store I found Xylitol chewing gum although the flavour doesn't last very well. As far as I'm aware, Xylitol appears to be safe?

As for water, do you filter yours? I am going to get myself a water filter I think.

Something else to consider is a gluten free diet. I have heard of undiagnosed celiac or gluten intollerance causing panic. I'm not sure the difference it would make for me, but when I have the time, money and energy I will go gluten free for a month or two as an experiment. I try and avoid it anyway, and it's easy these days with rice noodles instead of pasta, and gluten free bread, biscuits and cake easily available. Expensive though.

Oh I love red bush tea its wonderful! Very soothing and tasty tea, I have it with milk and a dollop of honey yum! :D I always sweeten my tea's with honey. Even better, local honey (expensive). I used to drink a lot of green tea but that naturally has caffeine in it, only 25mg per cup though compared to over 100mg in a cup of coffee but Ive cut out green tea because Im cutting caffeine completely but I miss green tea and may go back to it at some point as it has lot's of benefits.

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

I use a water filter, its great! But water does differ depending on where you live. My partner lives on the other side of my town and I swear his water taste's less chemically and nasty then the water from my taps! Even better I would love to be able to extract the fluoride from the water as I don't think thats good for consumption either, but not all water is fluoridated that can depend on where you live as well. A device to take out fluoride though I think costs up to £400 or something. I believe there is a pea sized amount of fluoride in every glass of tap water. It has even been suggested that bottled mineral water should be fluoridated but this is crossing the line! How is it "natural mineral water" if you put a load of fluoride in it!

Fluoride, on its own is highly toxic and it used to be used as an insecticide and rat poison. Its a pollutant.

grotbags
29-04-12, 19:43
Oh I love red bush tea its wonderful! Very soothing and tasty tea, I have it with milk and a dollop of honey yum! :D I always sweeten my tea's with honey. Even better, local honey (expensive). I used to drink a lot of green tea but that naturally has caffeine in it, only 25mg per cup though compared to over 100mg in a cup of coffee but Ive cut out green tea because Im cutting caffeine completely but I miss green tea and may go back to it at some point as it has lot's of benefits.

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

I use a water filter, its great! But water does differ depending on where you live. My partner lives on the other side of my town and I swear his water taste's less chemically and nasty then the water from my taps! Even better I would love to be able to extract the fluoride from the water as I don't think thats good for consumption either, but not all water is fluoridated that can depend on where you live as well. A device to take out fluoride though I think costs up to £400 or something. I believe there is a pea sized amount of fluoride in every glass of tap water. It has even been suggested that bottled mineral water should be fluoridated but this is crossing the line! How is it "natural mineral water" if you put a load of fluoride in it!

Fluoride, on its own is highly toxic and it used to be used as an insecticide and rat poison. Its a pollutant.

Mmm redbush and honey. I did treat myself to some local honey recently to try and clear my sinusus. It was delicious but about £7 for a tiny jar :scared15: !!

I think you're absolutely right about water quality varying from place to place. In my old house we had really nice water and I could just drink it alone with no need for squash or anything. But just down the road, the water was really nasty and smelly, like chlorine.

I am also a little concerned about fluroide and its toxicity. I'm going to hunt around to see if I can find a cheap water filter (although I suppose it's the filters that cost the money).

nicotine
30-04-12, 22:08
Mmm redbush and honey. I did treat myself to some local honey recently to try and clear my sinusus. It was delicious but about £7 for a tiny jar :scared15: !!

I think you're absolutely right about water quality varying from place to place. In my old house we had really nice water and I could just drink it alone with no need for squash or anything. But just down the road, the water was really nasty and smelly, like chlorine.

I am also a little concerned about fluroide and its toxicity. I'm going to hunt around to see if I can find a cheap water filter (although I suppose it's the filters that cost the money).

Do it :) I think its a very good investment! You can't beat a glass of nice tasting water ice cold too. Its also good to drink water cold, it tastes better and is said to boost your metabolism as your body works harder to warm it up from within :winks: