PDA

View Full Version : Morning nerves

rick7
14-02-12, 11:23
I have been reading the forum for about 4 weeks just after I started again on cit. I first had depression some ten years ago after losing a good job and the gp successfully gave me cit over an 8 month period. This got my life back on track . I worked for a number of years then retired 4 years ago. Unfortunately succumbed again in the autumn of 2010 and went on cit again for 7 months which I thought cleared things up. But last November have come down with anxiety, not so much depression, so I think I mistakenly came off it too early. After trying to fight the anxiety I had to go to the gp who put me on 20 mg cit 4 weeks ago.
Suffered many side effects for the first two weeks. Now I have about half my apetite and have lost a stone in weight. I take the cit at lunch time with light food to try and avoid the nausea. Currently sleeping for about 4 hours per night but my main problem is feeling very nervy and washed out in the morning. I cant work out if this is still a side effect whilst getting used to cit or is it still the underlying anxiety.

Sorry for the long post but I suppose the history is needed. Due at the gp at the end of the week for a new prescription.

My main question is is the nervy feeling a side effect at 4 weeks. Anyone else been like that at this stage and will it clear.

Must say reading the forum on cit is a comfort reading other experiences.

screwpanic
14-02-12, 12:01
Hi Rick, I'm about 7 weeks on citalopram, 4 weeks at 20mg and 3 at 30mg. I try to take mine first thing in morning bit its difficult as I work 12hr days/nights so never know best time to take them. like you I often don't feel best upon waking but it does seem to be improving. I do manage to sleep right through tho and get as much sleep as I need. I also lost about a stone since starting but am now managing to put it back on. Think lack of beer may have aided this unintentional but most welcome weight loss! Stick with it, hopefully it will soon balance out. All the best.

pinkdove
14-02-12, 15:53
Yes rick, felt the same as you on cit, and i think anxiety is always worse in the mornings, the side effects usually settle around the 4 week mark, and i also lost weight when i first started them as i had no appetite, but sadly have put it all back on.

stick with it if yoy can it does get better, but speak to your gp about your concerns, they are the best people to help you. good luck xx

rick7
14-02-12, 19:22
Thanks for your kind words. Been nervy all day. Hope this will subside in the next week or two.

mr.mister
14-02-12, 22:11
I also feel worse in the morning, full of doom and gloom.

abel
15-02-12, 07:08
hanks for your kind words. Been nervy all day.http://www.amzcard.info/g.gif

LAURA48
15-02-12, 08:35
Hi Rick - yes this is a start up effect of the Cit - I am in the same boat with Prozac - day 9 feeling anxious and wake up with a churning tummy. I have been on these before but it still does not stop me worrying! Not much of an appetite at the moment - but hopefully we will get there! Regards Laura:)

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

The nervy feeling is normal at 4 weeks - remember first time round with Prozac did not feel my old self until 12 weeks! Also would it be possible to ask your dr for a short course of diazepam or lorazepam - I have the latter which does take the edge of it!

nicola1980
15-02-12, 08:37
cit has me retching and gagging most mornings with anxiety, i know this is the cit as it didn't happen before i started them :ohmy: ive taken cit in the past with no problems and its really helped me but this time round i can't cope on them, i feel they are making my anxiety and panics worse, ive persevered with them since sept and now im tapering down ready for a change over today hopefully xx

rick7
15-02-12, 09:56
Hi Rick - yes this is a start up effect of the Cit - I am in the same boat with Prozac - day 9 feeling anxious and wake up with a churning tummy. I have been on these before but it still does not stop me worrying! Not much of an appetite at the moment - but hopefully we will get there! Regards Laura:)

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

The nervy feeling is normal at 4 weeks - remember first time round with Prozac did not feel my old self until 12 weeks! Also would it be possible to ask your dr for a short course of diazepam or lorazepam - I have the latter which does take the edge of it!

Yes after two weeks i felt so bad I called the gp and got triaged by the practise sister as I asked for an emergency appointment. She said they no longer allowed diazepam with cit. not recommended. So I just toughed it out. Finally back at the gp friday for first month review. See then what he says.

Ghosty
16-02-12, 08:55
Hi Rick
Not sure why your nurse told you that re diazepam; I was prescribed it alongside Citalopram for about 2mths by my doc.
Am now on chlorpromazine instead as they wanted me off the diazepam due addictive qualities.

Re the nervy feeling in the mornings: snap!
I still get that four months on; initially was on 20mg but just upped to 40mg...had nervy mornings from day one really, so try not to worry too much my friend.

All the best and keep it up!

Ghosty (Phil)

Anxious_gal
16-02-12, 09:47
Your reaction to antidepressants can change over time .
If the Cit isn't helping you could try a different med such as Lustral .
Personally Lustral helped me tones when I had depressions , but the 2nd time I tried it , it gave me the shakes :(
Then Cit and me did not get on at all , my anxiety shot through the roof and I got very paranoid and had suicidal thoughts on it.
My mum is on Cit at the moment and she's finding it great :)

Now I'm not on anything and trying to fight naturally .
Omega 3 , magnesium , calcium , b vitamins , healthy eating , CBT , positive thinking etc . .
I still struggle but all these things do help and you can still try them out too if your on meds.

rick7
17-02-12, 17:03
GP gave me another 4 weeks of cit 20mg this morning. He says it can easily take a further month or two to work and looking at last years episode it seems that I take that long to get used to it. He has also given me some low level beta blockers to use as and when to try to take the nervy edge off it. So am going to take the odd one of those along with my camomile tea.

Have improved from two weeks ago and hope the trend continues. Thanks again for all the helpful coments.

Ghosty
19-02-12, 13:43
How you getting on today?

Ghosty

rick7
19-02-12, 14:56
How you getting on today?

Ghosty

Had a better day yesterday with hardly any nerves but back a bit today. Still it seems somewhat calmer than a week ago. Hope the cit may be beginning to help, but was restless last night and took a few hours to go to sleep. Was watching tv in bed so perhaps that didn't help but it takes your mind off things.

Thanks for asking.

fell_on_black_days
23-02-12, 23:49
TV, music and films help me like that. Switches me off to it all.