PDA

View Full Version : Worried about lymph node and don't know what to do!!

bebe1005
14-02-12, 17:33
Ok, so I've had this small lymph node behind my right ear for around 4 years now. One day I just got this big soft lump behind my ear for seemingly no reason. It had never been there before. When it first popped up it was pretty big, soft, but no pain that I can remember. I wasn't sick at the time and can't think of any reason for it to have popped up. It shrunk down a ton within a week or so and now I'm left with a small lump behind my ear.

I know lymph nodes 1cm and under are considered normal, but I have no idea how many cm this thing is. I can put my index finger over it and completely cover it if that gives you can idea. It seems pea size, but the shape seems longer, almost like a bean. All the sites I have been on say that if they are non-movable or fixed they are bad. I can't tell if mine is "fixed" or not! How does one determine that? It doesn't feel like it's attached to the skin or anything underneath it, but I still can't move it around much. If I tilt my head at a certain angle I can move it a little bit, but not much.

I'm so worried about this thing and have been for years. Some days I forget about it and some days I feel like I can't handle it anymore. I guess I'm just worried its cancer since it's "non-movable". What type of doctor would you see for a lymph node behind the ear? I do not want to see a GP or family doctor.

swgrl09
14-02-12, 17:45
if it has shrunk you shouldnt have anything to worry about

bebe1005
14-02-12, 20:00
I know it shrinking is a good sign, but the fact that I can't tell if its "fixed" to the skin or something else worries me so much :weep: it just doesn't seem movable to me. Also, the fact that it was never tender or painful worries me too.

robin321
14-02-12, 20:10
Don't get stuck on the fixed vs moveabe thing
I tried to force mine, and made everything a lot worse

It might be between tissue and so it cannot move. You might be irrating the tissue by trying.

If it was anything bad it would not have gotten bigger and then smaller.
The fact that it got bigger at all means it is working like it should.

swgrl09
14-02-12, 20:10
Yeah but if it was cancer, it really wouldn't shrink at all, it would just keep getting bigger. I am not a doctor, but isn't it possible that behind the ear is just an area where there isn't a lot of flesh available to allow it to move around? I don't think the ones behind my ears ever were really mobile to my knowledge ...

happycarrot
14-02-12, 20:56
Those lymph nodes can swell up even if you don't feel sick. Acne in the area around the lymph node, scalp infections, etc. can cause them to swell. Sometimes lymph nodes don't shrink all the way back to the size they used to be. There are a lot of people here who have permanently enlarged lymph nodes. My husband and I both have them on our necks. If you've had it for four years, I really don't think it's cancer, as it would have continued to get bigger and you'd be feeling really sick by now.

greenlady
14-02-12, 21:05
i had an issue with a node too...i had a chest xray and blood tests done..all which were clear..so now i need to accept everything is ok..i hve had sinus/rhinitis for a few months which could be the cause..i still have to see ent for these problems...i am sure all will be fine for you
gina xx