PDA

View Full Version : Hypnosis Question For Nigel ?

PurpleRain
19-06-06, 23:26
Hello Nigel :D
I was hoping you could help me,you seem to be the man in the know when it comes to hypnosis :D

Well i downloaded one of the hypnosis down loads you recomend. I got the agorophobia one as i have a fear of leaving the house alone,i have been better recently but thought this might help move things along.
Anyway my problem is i find it very hard to relax while doing the hypnosis and when im supposed to be relaxed thinking of the situations i fear,im hyperventalating and panicking...so now im worried when i go into these situations in reality i will be hyperventalating and panicking!!?

Does this question make sense to you? Im sorry im not so great at explaining myself sometimes [:I]:)

I dont usually have trouble relaxing by the way but for some reason this worry popped in my head whilst doing the hypnosis [Sigh...] Maybe i'll be better off having hypnosis privately as the hypnotist will wait until im relaxed??

Many thanks if you (or any one else maybe if you can?) can help but no worries if not :D

Thanks xx

Wenjoy
20-06-06, 06:27
Hi - I know exactly what you mean Purple Rain - I am the same - I use downloads or cds on relaxation and I am lying there willing myself to slow my breathing and calm down but end edgy and more tense and hypervenilating - its as if I am forcing myself to relax - I am goiing to stick with it with the cd or download on my mp3 as my hypnotherapist has stopped working coz of health problems herself!!

Good luck ! love wenjoy x

PurpleRain
20-06-06, 12:43
Hi,
Thank you both for your help!
I dont really have a problem visualising myself in situations in my hypnosis state. But when i do visualise myself in these situations im panicky,hyperventalating and nervous etc when im supposed to be relaxed so im worried when i face these situations in reality i'll be more panicky and nervous and hyperventalating than usual because im like this when i visualise them when using the hypnosis. (hmmm sorry probably just confused things further!)

At the moment though i just cannot relax as i've an operation tomorrow (nothing too serious hopefully,having a lump removed,they are not sure for definate what it is,they say its some sort of cyst) and anyway i guess this is playing on my mind and not helping with the relaxation situation!

I'll give it another go after i've had the op,hopefully once thats over with it'll be easier to relax!

Wenjoy, the hyperventalating thing is just so annoying is'nt it,as soon as im told to relax my breathing,i of course just become more concious of it and start hyperventalating [Sigh...]...soooo annoying how our minds work sometimes but im sure we will get there in the end!! :) Thanks again for your help and good luck with your hypnosis too!!

Take care xx:D

PurpleRain
20-06-06, 15:20
Hi Nigel,
Thank you for your advice,ill look into this anchoring you mentioned,makes sense to me,thank-you!

Im going to try and not to not think about the hyperventalating,i'll try thinking of someting else and not to do with how im feeling!!

Also ive never heard of the 7/11 breathing tecnique but it sounds helpful,i'll get jaw ache from all this yawning ive done since reading your post!:D...but it does help,thanks i see what you mean!

Many thanks nigel,its much appreciated!!!

Take care xx :D

carldourish
20-06-06, 18:37
Purplerain,

May I suggest you look into NLP.

You mention "I dont really have a problem visualising myself in situations in my hypnosis state. But when i do visualise myself in these situations im panicky,hyperventalating and nervous"

NLP involves a lot of visualising pictures, however how you see yourself in these pictures make a huge impact on our physiology.

When you make pictures do you see yourself in the picture, this is called association. When you remove yourself from the image this is called dissociation. Try dissociation next time. If you need more advice feel free to PM. I have written many topics on Hypnosis and NLP so please read, you may find something that will help.

Carl

PurpleRain
20-06-06, 22:54
Nigel,
Hi, Dont be sorry for giving me jaw ache,i meant it in a good way as i tried the yawning and i can see how it helps!! :D

I havnt really had a problem with hyperventalating until recently so ive never really had to worry about it before,but of course i started worrying about it....and of course now its an issue!! Anyway when i was out earlier i could feel my breathing starting to speed up and i tried not to not think about it and eventually distracted myself by doing multiplication tables in my head...i got to the end of the road without getting out of breath! Distraction is great if you can stick with it! Im also going to look into the 7/11 breathing and anchoring after my op tomorrow,ill let you know how i get on with it! Thanks for all your help!!! :D

Carl,
Hi, I have heard of NLP,it was suggested to me by a friend of mine but i dont know much about it, it's something im definately interested in trying though!! I'll have a read through your posts tomorrow when my heads a bit clearer after my op.
Thank you so much!!! :D

Take care xx

PurpleRain
22-06-06, 17:49
Hi Nigel,
Op went well thanks,it was a strange day as initially they told me i was going to have a general anaesthetic (this is what i feared the most about it!!!) but they decided i'd be ok with a local when i arrived yesterday,that was a relief after weeks of worrying about having a general, but had to wait around for 6 hours until they performed it so you can imagine my nerves building up [:O]...anyway when it was my turn i was a nervous wreck and it was a very surreal experience being awake in an operating theartre,i cant describe the terror going through my body. But have to thank you as i strarted breathing 7/11 and it helped me hugely!!! Was able to relax after that!! Thank you soooooo much for recommending that to me!!!!

Sorry im going on about my op,this was a thread about hypnosis :D

Thanks for the link,its really interesting thanks,i really want to give this NLP a go..My brain is a bit worn out after yesterday ( and all the times tables lol) but cant wait to try all this.,im feeling positive about it.

Thank you so so much!!!

Take care xx :D