PDA

View Full Version : Methods to calm down?

justina
15-02-12, 10:38
I have never had any kind of pills or anything to handle my anxiety. I have noticed that alcohol can calm me down quite well, but I have never been drinking alcohol with the purpose to calm down. It is just a secondary effect when I drink while having a meal (I do not drink in other circumstances), I notice that if I am worried about my health or the kids' health it gets better when I have some wine.
I don't really want to start taking pills or start using alcohol as a way to calm down. I think it will only make the "sober" panic moments worse.

I would like to know if you have "natural methods" to calm down?
I find that reading this forum helps a little bit. Things come in to perspective a little bit more.
I listen to music, that doesn't really take away the anxiety but at least I get a little bit distracted.
To be with other people doesn't really help me, sometimes it even annoys me because I can't focus on my panic (this sounds weird, I know).
Physical activity like running doesn't always help at the moment, maybe afterwards I feel calmer.

Is there something else to do?

StressCase
15-02-12, 11:02
I'm still at the early stages of trying to find things that work. When I'm in the middle of full blown panic, nothing seems to work. When I start to calm down just a bit, I find distraction techniques very useful, like doing a sudoku puzzle or something like that.

At other times, when I'm just anxious and the thoughts are all the way at the back of my mind, I find that exercise (eg a brisk walk or dancing), deep breathing exercises (ie, breathing in deeply for the count of 4, holding the breath for count of 7 and breathing out to count of 8) and muscle relaxation (tensing and then relaxing muscles starting at top of body and working down) make me feel a lot better. I've also tried meditation, but not the kind where you allow your thoughts to pop in and out of your head - that wouldn't be so good for me. I find it better to either focus on an image in my mind or I repeat a mantra over and over.

Having said all that, I'm quite panicky at the moment and so can't do any of the above. But, like you, I find coming on here does help. Alcohol can help me to relax, but I find my anxiety is often worse the next day.

swgrl09
15-02-12, 13:20
I find that telling myself (and really believing it) "This panic will pass soon" helps. I've experienced the anxiety and panic enough times to know that it will pass eventually, and so reminding myself of that is one of the few things that help me.