PDA

View Full Version : Obsession with Remembering Things

Stormsky
15-02-12, 12:55
My biggest problem i think is im always trying to remember things, like i feel i should or i need to remember things....not past memories so much, but irrelevant things, like what i dreamt last night... to trying to remember what is was that was bothering me yesterday ! ...like im always testing my memory for some reason.....
Anyone else had this?

robinbrum
15-02-12, 13:00
Yes, it can do your head in but I guess it's good brain training:D.

Stormsky
15-02-12, 13:10
Yes, it can do your head in but I guess it's good brain training:D.

maybe it will prevent alzheimers then too!

Sometimes i'll read something... then the next day, im thinking 'what was that article i read yesterday?' then not only do i try to remember, i get obsessed if i cant remember it.....at least if your trying to recall who sang a certain song, you can just google it now!
I need to ask myself, ok what will happen if i dont remember all these things? and the answer is nothing! got to let it go! drives me crazy....
Dont know what causes it, i assume OCD... brain stuck in a pattern .. and then the anxiety it causes i guess keeps bringing it round and round again.
Is there any cure for OCD, if its a brain transmitter thingy error?

robinbrum
15-02-12, 13:44
I think it's a sign of intelligence - the thirst for knowledge perhaps? In my case it is linked partly to the acute fear of losing things and yet it doesn't seem to help because I still lose things...I guess it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Anyway that's for another thread lol.

Stormsky
15-02-12, 15:06
dont think im obsessed with learning, just remembering things!!

sam66
15-02-12, 19:33
I have to have everything right, from pots pointing the right way to everything in my house being 'as I left it'
I can think of a face in my head and for the life of me cant remember a name or why I remembered it or why it drives me nuts that I cant place it at that time, but I have always been like that, my kids can say 'who sang that song' and I know it, I just cant place it, I put it down to old age :/

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

I dont personally think OCD is a bad thing, its a pain, but it does show that you are active (overly so) many people cope with varieting degrees of it, its when it becomes unhealthy for you, thats not great. I didnt notice till I had some stay for a few nights how, my things werent where they should be and I needed to put them all back, I think thats abnormal :/

Stormsky
15-02-12, 20:07
. I didnt notice till I had some stay for a few nights how, my things werent where they should be and I needed to put them all back, I think thats abnormal :/

im the same when people stay, have to put the rooms back the way it was, the way i like it !!!

sam66
15-02-12, 21:01
it was all I could do is let them stay, that was bad enough! but things were not 'put back' it set my panic off the scale, mirror isnt straight, drawers werent shut, tea, coffee,sugar lids not on straight, Im a nightmare :/

Magic
15-02-12, 21:31
sam 66,
I am the same.cannot go to bed without doing the same things,even if there are just the two of us Sometimes I go over the top--- like I am obsessed. I am trying to stop it, but no luck as yet.xx

Stormsky
17-02-12, 11:54
Can you make yourself go crazy? with overthinking?
I feel my overthinking, and feeling the need to remember things all the time will eventually drive me crazy..
I start my day trying to recall what i dreamt about... and when i have a thought, i wonder how did i come to thinking that? so then replay my thoughts to try and find how i got to that thought....
I lie in bed and if i get a random thought, i think where did that come from, why am i thinking that......
I feel like im testing my memory all the time, having to remember all the things i think about in a day! which is impossible.....

sam66
17-02-12, 18:17
Not sure Storm, I try and stay busy to stop over thinking, I dont have the consentration to read Im far to much of a fidget, I'm not helping myself I guess in not facing work and whats 'normal' I have always been terrible in 'everything has to be right' It kinda hit me when someone stayed how bad I actually am and that, I dont know is it comfort and the power you need to feel over your own things to make you feel safe, Im surely no expert, perhaps its the same as self harm which I have done, its something you have power over.
Storm if i cant remember, then its probably best left in the past to which I choose to forget, even silly things.
Gone is gone, move towards a future

Sam x

star2001
17-02-12, 23:14
storm sky....i do this..... alot.....i link up my thoughts like a test. so i think ah i dreamt that because of this etc etc and if i cant link it it really annoys me...... it doesnt bother me too much as i have done it for so long.....but thinks maybe its a control thing with me??? hope you feel happier soon hun :)

Stormsky
17-02-12, 23:45
Star - thanks ... i only try and remember dreams, i dont worry why i had a particular dream... i just tend to do it with thoughts, like thinking of something, and then thinking how did i come to thinking that, and trying to back track!!
been ok today, told myself ive had enough of it !!

star2001
24-02-12, 23:20
hi storm....only just saw your reply...how are you feeling now? MMMMMM im pretty obsessive with my dreams lol, but i am always wondering why im thinking what im thinking. its weird, but like i said perhaps conrol??? glad to see your being strong!!!! keep it up :) TAKE CARE :) x

Stormsky
25-02-12, 11:43
hi star - not been good last few days.... obsessing over anxiety, causes, what it all means, overthinking it all, overthinking what every thought means... made myself ill with it all... so having to keep distracted at present...xx

robinbrum
25-02-12, 13:09
Hi Stormsky, distraction is important, it's why I watch football - I don't have to think about anything else while I'm doing it. Having said that I distracted myself by painting the lounge yesterday, thought about nothing else and ended up getting highly distressed by all chaos and mess! I mean, distract yourself by doing something enjoyable that requires little effort or thought.
Maybe keep off NMP for a while! I know how addictive it is though and anyway, you make great contributions:)

Stormsky
25-02-12, 14:16
thanks Robinburm- and your right about staying of NMP... i havent been reading any new threads for days now... i just check personnel messages, and sometimes check replies to my own threads... sometimes reading all the stuff on here gives me new worries to worry about!!! not good...
im just finding it hard trying to understand the CAUSE of my anxeity....i know currently overthinking/obsessing is making me ill, but question is why do i overthink/obssessive in first place?? and then anxious thinking gives you more anxious thinking, and im caught in a never ending circle!!
So distraction is the only thing to stop it all at present, then when my minds more relaxed i can hopefully see rationally again, and decide its all not worth obsessing about anyway!

star2001
25-02-12, 22:17
oh dear storm...hang on in there, i recently had an episode like this..... thinking why am i like why i am, where will it lead etc etc. the brain is a strange thing. its a good idea not to read others post while you feel so highly strung, (learnt this the hard way) as you said...new worries.
private msg me if you ever need a friend.... sounds like we have similar "issues" :) chin up, keep strong......and distracted :)

Antheag
19-06-15, 19:36
I have had this thought problem since i was in year 7. Ive looked it up for years but this is the first time I've ever found people have similar thought obsessions.

Davit
19-06-15, 21:31
Try associated memory. It is called going in the back door. It works like this. Thinking something but can't remember, Does it start with A, B, C, etc. If you don't get it add letters AM. AT. eventually one or more of these letters will be in it and you will be given it. It works especially well with names. Remembering things. A person can only use six thoughts at once. A phone number has ten numbers, but in groups so actually only four.
1 or 0, common 234, one clump, 567, another,8901, another. You can remember others this way. Association. 459. four plus five is nine, four is the smallest. What do you remember? Only what really interests you. I have trouble with names. Often I can remember a persons cats name but not theirs.

Knowing more than one language is the best prevention for alzeimers. The other apparently is antibiotics.