PDA

View Full Version : Symtom checking challenge

robin321
15-02-12, 15:14
I will not check my nodes for 2hrs! I want to declare it publically to make myself accountable.

Is anyone with me?!

macc noodle
15-02-12, 15:16
ok robin report back when challenge completed!!!

i have just finished a course of cbt for health anxiety and it completely forbids incessant checking and recommended that you start by cutting back as you seem intent on doing. Then in the end it stops altogether.

One thing is for sure keep prodding those poor nodes and they will hurt longer.................................

Good luck :D

Sazziesaz
15-02-12, 15:33
Right I will do the same and not check mine for two hours! See you back in the post in two hours..... good luck....

robin321
15-02-12, 16:27
It seems that I need a spell check challenge : )

Well almost 1/2 hr down. What a slow 1/2 hr! It is strange cause when I do not check I feel something there. But I think it is my mind playing tricks on me, because when I am distracted I don't feel it.

I am glad people are with me! Come on take the 2hr challenge! There is nothing to lose. At lease we will have control over something :D

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

I caved!!! I last 1 hr and 10min. I then had to go to washroom and couldn't resists.

This is a lesson. We check to make ourselves feel better. I didn't work. I am not going to check again for at least 2 hrs!! I can do it this time! :yahoo:

Sazziesaz
15-02-12, 17:22
Still not checked.... 10 mins to go til my 2 hrs..... I can do it ....

MandySlade
15-02-12, 17:43
When you hit that 2 hour mark, try asking yourself if you can push it till longer. Sometimes it actually gets easier the longer you go.

purplehippo
15-02-12, 18:01
ive been good and not looked down my throat for a few hours ,arnt we clever!!!!

macc noodle
15-02-12, 18:16
woohoo guys - keep going - you never know how long you will last :D
xxxx

robin321
15-02-12, 18:21
Good job everyone! You are inspiring me!

I can go about 1 hr, 1 hr 15min tops, so you have more willpower than me!

It is hard because my anxiety is sky high right now. I am seeing my Dr in 48hrs and I am stressed! But I can get some control.

Once an hour is better than 20 times an hour. I am going to push through to that two hr mark starting now!

MandySlade
15-02-12, 18:31
what are you doing in those two hours? try doing different activities that will preoccupy you and make it harder for you to check. go for a walk, read a book, draw (if you are so inclined), start writing a short story, go to a museum, etc.

macc noodle
15-02-12, 18:37
Good job everyone! You are inspiring me!

I can go about 1 hr, 1 hr 15min tops, so you have more willpower than me!

It is hard because my anxiety is sky high right now. I am seeing my Dr in 48hrs and I am stressed! But I can get some control.

Once an hour is better than 20 times an hour. I am going to push through to that two hr mark starting now!

Crikey Robin, how on earth do you have time to do anything else in your life if you are checking 20 times an hour????

Good for you on lasting 1hr 15mins - try and push to 1hr and 30mins now

:D

Sazziesaz
15-02-12, 18:38
Well done everyone, over 3 hrs with no checking! I am very proud of myself!! Come on we can do it!!! xx

macc noodle
15-02-12, 18:40
Well done everyone, over 3 hrs with no checking! I am very proud of myself!! Come on we can do it!!! xx

Hey Sazziesaz that is fabulous :yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

Sazziesaz
15-02-12, 18:44
Hit over the 3 hour mark and still not prodded! Throat still feels bad and is egging me to prod it, but am still trying to ignore it! I am quite proud of myself! Come on we can do it!!

Sarah

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Oh sorry didn't mean to resend my message, didn't think the first one posted!! Sorry not trying to double boast LOL x

robin321
15-02-12, 21:11
I work alone in an office, and I am by myself a lot. That doesn't help for the checking!

At my worst I was checking every few minutes. I wouldn't even think
about it sometimes.

My therapist suggested I record each time I check. I tried in one morning, and it his like 30 times in 30 min. A lot of that was in batches. Like I would check, check again, again, etc.. so 10 times in a minutes or two. And then I would wait 15min. And I would check a bunch more.

Logic would say it was no wonder my nodes were swollen. And I even used to move them around and stuff. Then they got really big! I improved to grazing the skin. They went down. I replapsed, they came back up. Anyway you know the drill.

But three hrs! I am inspired now. I will keep myself busy and I can do this to!!! I am at 1hr 15 now! I will be back at 4.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

2 hrs 15min!!! No world record for me (except sleeping).
I want to check soooooo bad. Anxiety is really high
but I am determined to keep going!

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

I have at 2hrs and 30min
A trip to the crapper did me in! I looked in mirror and couldn't resist.

But at least I lasted! That is better than before

The anxiety was tough. I kept busy for as long as I could, but I ended up turning to Dr Google for reassurance (since i couldn't touch). That never worked and upped the anxiety.

Sazziesaz
15-02-12, 21:34
Well done for 2 hrs 30mins! But tut tut tut!! Keep your fingers away from google!!! That is the worst sin!! You must be happy you lasted that long! And thanks to you I have lasted 5 hrs!! My throat/lump still feels terrible but hope if I keep off the prodding it may get better........ thank you for challenging me!

robin321
15-02-12, 21:47
Well done for 2 hrs 30mins! But tut tut tut!! Keep your fingers away from google!!! That is the worst sin!! You must be happy you lasted that long! And thanks to you I have lasted 5 hrs!! My throat/lump still feels terrible but hope if I keep off the prodding it may get better........ thank you for challenging me!

Great job! Keep it up! I am happy to help. Let's motivate each other

And it will help it get better. Imagine if your finger was cut and infected and you always poked it and played with it. It would never heal. Same with a pimple or something... So keep it up!

I am already 40min into another no checking round!

Sazziesaz
15-02-12, 22:14
Go on you can do it!! I am really trying not to prod as I really want this lump in the throat feeling to go away! I still haven't touched them thanks to this challenge! I hope when I wake up in the morning you have posted that you have beaten your 2hr 30min record! Go on you can do it!!

macc noodle
15-02-12, 22:59
Can I just add that you guys are doing great - well done - I have been there and know how damned hard it is :D

dancingfrog
15-02-12, 23:24
Lately I have noticed that people including myself have been having problems with our nodes. Even though we have been told they are fine, numerous times we just can't resist those urges to touch. The only way I stop myself from doing it is talking and keeping myself distracted, which can prove difficult when you are on your own. So I am now starting a lymphnode leave alone marathon and need your support. I want anyone to join who is having the same problem by posting on here, to spur each other on and keep ourselves distracted. I am aiming at trying a no touch marathon of a day as from now. Even if you aim for a couple of hours just try. And even if you can't resist I am here and others are to help you, I will need that help at some point too. If we start small and succeed, we can do it for longer next time. Hope everyone will join in.

Dancingfrogs marathon of 1 day starts NOW!!!!

I just started this thread, then maccnoodle kindly pointed me to hear, so I am now officially joining in with you guys xx

Sazziesaz
16-02-12, 08:11
Well done! Lets see if we can do a day!! I was really proud of myself yesterday! I only started not touching because of this thread, so now as it is morning here I will join you in the not touching for a day! Gulp....... here goes wish me luck!!!

Good luck dancing frog!! We can do this!! How did you get on Robin321, you did really well yesterday too..

Sarah

robin321
16-02-12, 13:51
Awsome job Sazziesaz! I am glad the thread inspired you! And it is great that you could do it! You are very strong! Good job.

And DancingFrog I loved the Lymphnodeathon idea!! haha. Great name. It is the first time I am actually laughed at my nodes.

I did ok. I went close to 3 hrs at one point, and and lasted 1hr 20min or so the others. At least I cut down the checking.

Today I will try to break my record and go beyond the 3 hrs! Today is tough though.. I am seeing an ENT tomorrow. I have waited 5 weeks for this appt. So I am kind of edgy today. But I will do my best! We can all stick together.

purplehippo
16-02-12, 14:20
ill join you,i have done pretty well in not feeling my neck but ive still been looking down my throat everytime i go to the loo,still i didnt last time so ill try to keep it up now!!!!

robin321
16-02-12, 14:45
I am like you hippo! When I go to the bathroom I cannot resist taking a peak. Let's put an end to all checking this AM (at least AM where I live)

Sazziesaz
16-02-12, 15:00
I lasted until 1pm and then before I realised it I was poking :( Oh well I woke at 8am so did 5 hours! Will now try again.......

robin321
16-02-12, 15:05
5 hrs is amazing! Great job!!
I wish I could do 5. I will try for it today. You inspired me to do 3! I figured if you could do it, then I had to try!

purplehippo
16-02-12, 15:14
mines really sore atm ,resisting the urge to go get the torch arghhh!

robin321
16-02-12, 15:29
You can do it Purple!
Mine get sore too. I think it is my mind playing tricks on you. It isn't used to not checking, and thinks it is necessary. So it is making you hyper sensitive!