PDA

View Full Version : Being Aware

Stormsky
15-02-12, 16:01
I know as anxiety sufferers we are aware of our negative thoughts, aware of all our thoughts for that matter! we learn positive statements to replace negatives etc...we are also more aware of what we say to others...and how we say it... so probably more caring in our approach to people than we once were... i would never insult anyone... infact i try and make of point of compliamenting...

But are people who dont suffer, aware of their negative chatter, aware of what comes out of their mouth??? i dont think so... and before i suffered i dont think i had this awareness i have now... i think i was quite a mean person to some degree in relationships etc, and selfish too...

I guess with all the media and talk of self help books now, that 'normal' people do have materials to help with making their lifes more positive.. and thinking more positive...

I had a friend who was always negative (not a sufferer)... but running herself down, totally unaware of all the negative, berating stuff she was doing daily... so i pointed it out, and told her to try different methods of thought etc... and it made a huge difference for her....
Also i notice my sister in law constantly running her hubby down, finding it funny... and i think doesnt she realise the damage she could be doing.....

So there must be millions of people walking around with no control over their thoughts, possibly living sad lives because they dont realise what they are doing and how to change it...
Or perhaps we would be better off like them, oblivious to all this deep thinking !!!!!

bignik
15-02-12, 16:10
Im currently recieving CBT only had 3 sessions and not came to this yet , how to change thoughts , I current suffer from automatic negative thinking and its soul destroying , especially when in an anxious state , my wife always reminds me of the positive friendly person I was before depression hit , I think you get trapped in the depression for such a while you forget how to think positive , especially about things outwith your control. I wish I had a switch on top of my head at times to stop deep thinking and always looking at the worse side of it.

Anyway Im hoping the CBT will help me make the changes I have to.

Stormsky
15-02-12, 16:20
Back to my first post, I think what im asking is - Are we really happy being self aware? arnt we always saying we want to get back to being the old me? which was before all this awareness !

ems73
15-02-12, 17:11
Oh god I think we'd be so much happier if we were less self aware. I always feel so envious of those people who can just "be" without constantly being aware of how they are coming across, what they are saying etc. People who seem to know exactly who they are and have no problem with that, people who can just "be themselves". I've never been entirely sure how to "be myself", don't really even understand the concept.

I do think being the way we are it can make us kinder more sensitive people but I think we are unhappier for it.

flossie
15-02-12, 17:12
Being self aware is a double edged sword. I agree with you that I think we are maybe more concious of hurting others with the way we speak to them. That's a positive. However, I think this self awareness also works against us. How much of our time do we spend analysing how we feel? Is it a good day? Is my stomach happy? I've got a bit of a headache, will I fall over if I go out? I certainly need to stop thinking and start doing.
Also, as I have got older I have realised that people like those you have mentioned are probably not happy with their lives either or if they are their continual nit picking and negativity has become a habit. For some I imagine that even if they are aware of it it becomes as much a challenge for them to change their way of thinking as it is for me to change mine.
Sorry, I'm rambling.
So, I guess I agree with you. Somewhere in the middle would be nice I reckon. Don't want to be like them , just a stronger version of me and I'd be an OK kind of old gal.

Stormsky
15-02-12, 19:14
Totally agree Flossie..x