PDA

View Full Version : Hi

nocturnal87
16-02-12, 05:51
Hey everyone, 24 y/o guy from the UK here.. Decided to finally byte the bullet and seek help for my problems that have been a burden on my life for so many years. I apologize for the wall of text incoming...

I am finally booking an appointment with a counsellor this week to hopefully get to the bottom of my issues, to which I feel at a loss right now. I wondered if perhaps I explained my situation, someone may relate and have some advice..

Since the age of about 13, I have suffered from somewhat severe attacks of what I believe are Anxiety rather than Panic per say, that usually occur only once every few months or around a particularly stressful / worrying time. Most recently, I had a rough one when I visited my father in hospital after he was diagnosed with cancer. (Thankfully my father is now in the all clear.) I spent the night shaking, rocking back and forth and had severe nausea. This is a typical 'attack' for me that usually passes within 24 hours, then for the next few days or sometimes longer afterwards I will suffer from insomnia and nausea at night time.

Just this past month, my mums partner passed away from a long terminal illness. While this in particular did not directly relate to me or make me distressed, worrying about my mother's condition and financial crisis after his death has been on my mind. Just the other day, I was attending an opticians appointment and got frustrated with myself when I could not adjust to contact lenses and voilą.. that night, seemingly out of nowhere I was suffering another attack. It just feels so connected and I'm not sure why.

My mother is a strong rock for me and has been very supportive, as has my wife, but I dont feel like either of them can help me get to the root and stop this permanently. The doctor recently prescribed me Propranolol to take once a day for a month... but honestly, I am not sure I want to start taking meds, as I dont think they will benefit me as much as talking to some professionals?

The doctors suspect that my attacks stem from a traumatic event when I was younger and I have to say it sounds plausible - when i was 13 I witnessed my grandfathers death, he had a heart attack while I was visiting him at the hospital. I was in shock for a couple of days and had to be sedated.. it does seem to be since then that I recall this condition. The only thing is, I dont think about this nor does it cross my mind during my attacks, so I'm not sure what to think.

thanks for anyones time reading and I look forward to hearing responses :whistles:

diane07
16-02-12, 05:54
Hi nocturnal87

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

william wallace
17-02-12, 20:11
Hi, sorry you had to wait for replies mate, intros can be gone in a flash.
Get yourself posting, lots of nice folks here ok:)